tracy...opinion needed

tracy...opinion needed

anne
anne

March 29th, 2012, 8:44 pm #1

i've made an appt with eastern harmony in houston. i'm wondering if i should go through with it or take a whole new approach. the thing with tcm is that unless they are taking bloods i don't know how they can accurately diagnose from symptoms alone. i've done tcm/acu before with decent results but no real result. some things will work for a couple months and then it blows up.

i've been looking at homeopathic docs that were recommended by life extension; they have a pretty knowledgeable research driven product line and they recommend blood tests and where to go to have it drawn at a discount.

check this...
http://www.lef.org/protocols/female_rep ... ion_01.htm

what do you think? i just called eastern harmony and they ask for bloodwork from your doc and since i no longer have a fert doctor...beyond that i don't know if they would ask for an extensive panel like this life extension treatment suggests.

March 29th, 2012, 9:08 pm #2

I don't know what kind of b/w you will be needing, but I wanted to mention privat.emdla.bs dot com (take out the periods) as an option. They have a really good price on a "Hormone Panel for Females" that has E2, FSH, LH, and a CBC and metabolic panel. You can also get 15% off the price they list by using a button on their website (if it is still there) or by getting on their e-mail list and regularly getting a coupon code.

They have been a great way for me to get b/w periodically and it usually only takes one day to get these results by e-mail.

There are also some other places like heal.thcheckusa and ineedl.abs that you can check.

Unfortunately, they don't take insurance, but I thought I'd mention it as an option.
Last edited by krgh on March 29th, 2012, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 29th, 2012, 10:08 pm #3

Thanks for the links. :o) nt

March 29th, 2012, 10:16 pm #4

i've made an appt with eastern harmony in houston. i'm wondering if i should go through with it or take a whole new approach. the thing with tcm is that unless they are taking bloods i don't know how they can accurately diagnose from symptoms alone. i've done tcm/acu before with decent results but no real result. some things will work for a couple months and then it blows up.

i've been looking at homeopathic docs that were recommended by life extension; they have a pretty knowledgeable research driven product line and they recommend blood tests and where to go to have it drawn at a discount.

check this...
http://www.lef.org/protocols/female_rep ... ion_01.htm

what do you think? i just called eastern harmony and they ask for bloodwork from your doc and since i no longer have a fert doctor...beyond that i don't know if they would ask for an extensive panel like this life extension treatment suggests.

Gosh, I think doing the tcm/acu route might be the way to go. I don't think I will delve into HRT until I'm pretty much in menopause. Then I'll be all for it. I know just from doing some estrogen and testosterone priming that it causes my body to lurch all over the place. My body seems to swing to one extreme or the other...super fast O's or long stalled cyles. If I leave it alone, it starts to right itself. What works for me has evolved over time. It is all such a delicate dance. Birth Control pills always gave me migraines. Refresh my memory about what your cycles tend to be like.

xoxo, Tracy

anne
anne

March 30th, 2012, 2:33 am #5

the end of the line for me. i like tcm/acu and it's done good things for me but diagnosing from symptoms alone won't cut it anymore.

if you look at my history i came from high estrogen patching last october when i bled for 10 days straight. i had a couple more periods but now nothing for the last couple months. it may be that i need to try and reset my hormones or it may be perimenopause or really menopause.

either way, i think bloodwork is the way to go and i don't really see tcm practitioners as having extensive knowledge of that beyond the usual fsh/lh progesterone lever interpretations.

thanks for your thoughts.

anne
anne

March 30th, 2012, 2:46 am #6

I don't know what kind of b/w you will be needing, but I wanted to mention privat.emdla.bs dot com (take out the periods) as an option. They have a really good price on a "Hormone Panel for Females" that has E2, FSH, LH, and a CBC and metabolic panel. You can also get 15% off the price they list by using a button on their website (if it is still there) or by getting on their e-mail list and regularly getting a coupon code.

They have been a great way for me to get b/w periodically and it usually only takes one day to get these results by e-mail.

There are also some other places like heal.thcheckusa and ineedl.abs that you can check.

Unfortunately, they don't take insurance, but I thought I'd mention it as an option.
oh, thanks so much kim! i might just try that if i decide to go that way. about how much does it cost? labcorp costs 269 for female panel with life extension membership.

Tracy
Tracy

March 30th, 2012, 3:23 am #7

the end of the line for me. i like tcm/acu and it's done good things for me but diagnosing from symptoms alone won't cut it anymore.

if you look at my history i came from high estrogen patching last october when i bled for 10 days straight. i had a couple more periods but now nothing for the last couple months. it may be that i need to try and reset my hormones or it may be perimenopause or really menopause.

either way, i think bloodwork is the way to go and i don't really see tcm practitioners as having extensive knowledge of that beyond the usual fsh/lh progesterone lever interpretations.

thanks for your thoughts.
Acu can only do so much. Let us know how it goes. I wish there were endocrinologists that focused only on HRT for women in peri menopause and menopause. I've noticed more and more pharmacies advertising hormone compounding. So many of us could benefit from a ttc and also just a general wellness angle. I did ask my RE what estrogen levels they like for women on HRT and he said 50 -100.

xoxo, Tracy

March 30th, 2012, 7:10 pm #8

oh, thanks so much kim! i might just try that if i decide to go that way. about how much does it cost? labcorp costs 269 for female panel with life extension membership.
It is 59.99 w/o the discount (50.99 with the coupon code). Honestly, the first time they added the panel, I thought the description for all the included tests must be an editing mistake. I e-mailed them and asked about it and they told me it did include all the tests. I had been occasionally doing an E2 and/or an LH test. When they added this panel, it was cheaper for the E2, FSH, and LH than what just doing the E2 and LH had been. I've done it quite a few times. I wish it also included progesterone, but at the times I've wanted to check that, it is only 44.49 w/o the discount.

I'm just thrilled to have this option available so I definitely want to let anyone who might need it know about it.

anne
anne

March 30th, 2012, 8:15 pm #9

that's awesome. did you just walk in or need an rx? i'm going to go to a homeopathic md that's recommended on the website. i don't want to mess myself up by self dosing; which i have done plenty of!

March 30th, 2012, 10:06 pm #10

go online to their website and place your order and pay for it. The website will tell you which local lab you can use. They will e-mail you the b/w order and you just print it out and go to the lab when you are ready. I usually go one morning and the following morning I have the results via e-mail. The only downside is that if you do b/w on Friday, you won't get the results until Monday and if you do it on Saturday, you won't get them until Monday or Tuesday typically. It might be different if you are in a city where they run the tests at the same facility and might do it the same day. My local LabC.orp is where I have to go and they send the b/w off to a major metro LabC.orp about 3 hours away where it is run the next morning. Then the doc with privat.emdlab.s reviews it and they e-mail it to me that morning, typically around 9-11 a.m.

Honestly, they have been a godsend at times when I'm trying things to see how they affect my hormones and trying to "re-boot" my cycles.

Confirmation of reply: