Timing to check FSH (MC)

Timing to check FSH (MC)

Suz44
Suz44

February 20th, 2012, 8:36 pm #1

Hi...I haven't had my FSH checked since my first consult with RE about a year ago. 3 months after that first consult I had 2nd natural BFP (both MC). I guess part of me wants to know where I stand with my numbers...I've been flying by the seat of my pants ever since, but other part is afraid to see if the numbers are worse. I've been following the wheatgrass, CoQ10, accu protocol only.

Do you recommend going on day 2 or 3 or does it really matter. I'm not IVF and may only do IUI to get the timing straight.

ChickenLittle
ChickenLittle

February 20th, 2012, 9:04 pm #2

the timing definitely matters, for accuracy. But if you're committed to going all-natural for the long haul, would knowing your FSH really help? Or would it psyche you out if it were higher than you'd hoped? I ask only because if you're not going to alter the course of TTC, then knowing your numbers doesn't really seem to offer much benefit. If, however, knowing your numbers would help you make decisions if you're considering other family-building options, then maybe it's worth a look.

If OPKs or fertility monitors work for you, then sticking with them will help you know when to BD, since IUI isn't so useful for those of us 40+, and your odds are just as good (and it's cheaper!) if you just BD with great vigor.

FWIW, I'm TTC naturally now, too, with the same acu/Co-Q 10, Fertile CM and Pre-seed for good CM, etc etc, and have no intention of finding out my numbers since I'm just going to be BD-ing this year, no matter what.

Good luck either way! xoxoxChix

February 20th, 2012, 9:58 pm #3

FSH is only important for those who are doing IVF with stimming, because if your FSH is too high (beyond 20), you may not respond to meds at all, so those with high FSH at the beginning of the cycle may have to go natural, or get cancelled in conventional IVFs.

If you are trying naturally, it doesn't matter. It does not alter your course of action and can only freak you out if the numbers are bad. If I were TTCing naturally, I would rather bury my head in the sand and keep at it, thinking that my FSH is only 5.

Suz44
Suz44

February 21st, 2012, 8:14 pm #4

For some reason I feel like I needed to have all the information but I guess some things are better left out there. I know what it was last year (17) -I can only hope that after all the accu, wheat grass, etc, it's not gone up...but then, I am a year older. The reason I was thinking IUI is the timing issue with travel/work schedules. But I guess you do what you gotta do, even if it means flying back and forth to make sure DB before O.

Glad spring is coming and my life calms down...this is a good thing!

THANKS!

Confirmation of reply: