The continued debate with myself to take DHEA or not.

The continued debate with myself to take DHEA or not.

BabyDance
BabyDance

May 5th, 2012, 9:46 am #1

I was off for a while, then things got worse, started again, and had a cyst for two months (I think it was there before I started). No off, but debating doing one month of it before my next cycle. This cycle was cancelled. This will be my last cycle, last chance as we have severe MF. UGH. Not expecting anyone to really shed some light here, but just venting over the eternal debate in my head. Dr. T is totally against it.

anonforthis
anonforthis

May 5th, 2012, 1:44 pm #2

I never worked up the nerve to try DHEA myself, after hearing a few stories of the side effects for a few people. I always wondered if it would have made a difference. That said, I don't think it's the kind of thing that makes a difference for just one cycle. I think you have to commit to be on it for a fair number of months before it would make a difference. So in your case, I'd go with your doctor's advice and just skip it.

May 5th, 2012, 5:34 pm #3

I was off for a while, then things got worse, started again, and had a cyst for two months (I think it was there before I started). No off, but debating doing one month of it before my next cycle. This cycle was cancelled. This will be my last cycle, last chance as we have severe MF. UGH. Not expecting anyone to really shed some light here, but just venting over the eternal debate in my head. Dr. T is totally against it.
I started taking DHEA for this cycle, but not the prior one. I go to Shady Grove, and they had no objections to me taking it, although they are waiting for more conclusive research before they recommend it to everyone.

With that said, anecdotally or just coincidentally, my egg (and embryo) quality improved this time over last time.

Age 41 (DOR/AMA). My partner is 35.
Patient at Shady Grove FC in Maryland
2012: Insurance will pay for 3 rounds of IVF, and then we will have to quit.
2nd IVF (April 2012): Microdose flare. Lupron 20 (2x day), Gonal-F (450/day), Menopur (150/day). Egg retrieval will be 4/30 +/-. Currently 10 follicles.Also taking MRM micronized DHEA (75mg, acupuncture (2-3x week), Montana Big Sky royal jelly/bee pollen, no alcohol, South Beach diet for years, a lot of meditation and fertility magic. Had bariatric surgery in 2006 and lost 110 lbs.
FSH (March 2012): 14
1st IVF (February 2012): Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelix: 9 eggs retrieved, 7 mature, 4 fertilized, 2 transferred. No pregnancy.
2011:
3 rounds IUI (no pregnancies)
6 mo drug break to get assessed for breast cancer/ ovarian cancer risk
3 rounds timed intercourse (Clomid, etc) (No pregnancies)
FSH (September 2011): 8
2010:
1 miscarriage (at 7 wks) from a natural pregnancy
FSH (2010): 6

Jen
Jen

May 5th, 2012, 6:15 pm #4

Hi BD,

I have not been ovulating and so not cycling. I am still trying with Check and taking estinyl. I recently saw Dr. T and he feels it is time to move on to DE. I am continuing for a few more months to see if I can O on my own. I am considering going back to Spandorfer and asking to do testosterone. When I first saw Dr. T a year ago or more he was very against testosterone. I spoke to him more recently about DHEA and I can't speak for him but, what I inferred from our conversation was; if you are close to ending this journey he is okay with trying everything. I feel like at this point I am willing to try anything that won't hurt me. If you really think this is your last chance maybe give it a try. I am at the point of not having much to lose. As long as I can do DE eventually if this is really over for me. I know that is not something you want to do. Sorry, if this was long. I just think why not try it if this is really your last cycle.

Jen

Yvonne
Yvonne

May 6th, 2012, 2:06 am #5

and 600 mg coq10.

I am consulting with Dr Ryan in Toronto - and he is one of the people doing the research on dhea...He has been working on this since 2006.

He told me about a case where a woman was actually menopausal due to chemo for several years - and began taking dhea and ovulated on her own - and fell pg.. and is due to deliver soon. Another story where the woman brought her fsh down from the 60's - to the mid-teens, ovulated and fell pg. (delivered a healthy baby girl) - this lady was 43; Another pg naturally at 46 with dhea.

I am in a similar boat to you... very close to moving on... and figure I may as well...

I can't remember how long you said you have been taking it.. but I believe that in the cases I quoted above - the women were taking it for 6-9 months... 75 mg per day in conjuction with 600 mg coq10.

I think that unless you are beginning to have intolerable side effects - it would most likely help you - not hurt you. Just make sure you are having your testosterone and dhea levels tested regularly.

Hope this helps.
Yve

Antonialisa
Antonialisa

May 6th, 2012, 12:42 pm #6

Hi BD, Good to hear from you. Hope you are doing ok.

I also started taking DHEA under the argument of "nothing to lose at this point" since DH and I are planning a DE cycle soon. I've only been on it a few weeks.

No side effects so far, except that my libido has increased (thank goodness, it has been pretty low for a really long time!).

Take care. xoxo

Antonialisa
Antonialisa

May 6th, 2012, 2:35 pm #7

Hi BD,

I have not been ovulating and so not cycling. I am still trying with Check and taking estinyl. I recently saw Dr. T and he feels it is time to move on to DE. I am continuing for a few more months to see if I can O on my own. I am considering going back to Spandorfer and asking to do testosterone. When I first saw Dr. T a year ago or more he was very against testosterone. I spoke to him more recently about DHEA and I can't speak for him but, what I inferred from our conversation was; if you are close to ending this journey he is okay with trying everything. I feel like at this point I am willing to try anything that won't hurt me. If you really think this is your last chance maybe give it a try. I am at the point of not having much to lose. As long as I can do DE eventually if this is really over for me. I know that is not something you want to do. Sorry, if this was long. I just think why not try it if this is really your last cycle.

Jen
Jen, are you the Jen with the thyroid issues trying with DS? How are you doing? I've thought of you many times and hoped that you are doing okay. Please send an update now and then.

I am also moving toward DE at this point.

BabyDance
BabyDance

May 7th, 2012, 2:24 pm #8

Hi BD,

Jen
I'm so sorry for what you are going through. Just wanted to wish you well and thank you for your two cents. Still not sure what I'm doing about anything. DE is not really an option with DP, so I'm just in a constant panic over it all. I think you will find peace with it, once you get there and never look back. Keep going girl. xoo BD

BabyDance
BabyDance

May 7th, 2012, 2:26 pm #9

and 600 mg coq10.

I am consulting with Dr Ryan in Toronto - and he is one of the people doing the research on dhea...He has been working on this since 2006.

He told me about a case where a woman was actually menopausal due to chemo for several years - and began taking dhea and ovulated on her own - and fell pg.. and is due to deliver soon. Another story where the woman brought her fsh down from the 60's - to the mid-teens, ovulated and fell pg. (delivered a healthy baby girl) - this lady was 43; Another pg naturally at 46 with dhea.

I am in a similar boat to you... very close to moving on... and figure I may as well...

I can't remember how long you said you have been taking it.. but I believe that in the cases I quoted above - the women were taking it for 6-9 months... 75 mg per day in conjuction with 600 mg coq10.

I think that unless you are beginning to have intolerable side effects - it would most likely help you - not hurt you. Just make sure you are having your testosterone and dhea levels tested regularly.

Hope this helps.
Yve

I took it for at least 6 months and no help at all. Dr. T is so against it, I just don't know. There was a previous poster who said she took it and he didn't know, and she got pregnant. Sigh. Good luck in journey. xoo BD

BabyDance
BabyDance

May 7th, 2012, 2:27 pm #10

I started taking DHEA for this cycle, but not the prior one. I go to Shady Grove, and they had no objections to me taking it, although they are waiting for more conclusive research before they recommend it to everyone.

With that said, anecdotally or just coincidentally, my egg (and embryo) quality improved this time over last time.

Age 41 (DOR/AMA). My partner is 35.
Patient at Shady Grove FC in Maryland
2012: Insurance will pay for 3 rounds of IVF, and then we will have to quit.
2nd IVF (April 2012): Microdose flare. Lupron 20 (2x day), Gonal-F (450/day), Menopur (150/day). Egg retrieval will be 4/30 +/-. Currently 10 follicles.Also taking MRM micronized DHEA (75mg, acupuncture (2-3x week), Montana Big Sky royal jelly/bee pollen, no alcohol, South Beach diet for years, a lot of meditation and fertility magic. Had bariatric surgery in 2006 and lost 110 lbs.
FSH (March 2012): 14
1st IVF (February 2012): Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelix: 9 eggs retrieved, 7 mature, 4 fertilized, 2 transferred. No pregnancy.
2011:
3 rounds IUI (no pregnancies)
6 mo drug break to get assessed for breast cancer/ ovarian cancer risk
3 rounds timed intercourse (Clomid, etc) (No pregnancies)
FSH (September 2011): 8
2010:
1 miscarriage (at 7 wks) from a natural pregnancy
FSH (2010): 6
good luck with your cycle. xoxo BD

Confirmation of reply: