Stewing over this 3 cycle deal..

Stewing over this 3 cycle deal..

BabyDance
BabyDance

September 17th, 2011, 4:42 pm #1

13,000 plus at SIRM. A bit resentful about a sales pitch for IVF, but on the other hand, it's a better deal. You get nothing back if you get pregnant before cycle 3. It saves about 5,000 over 3 cycles... I have a feeling there will be a phone call about it right before I got to ER. That's when they say you have to decide... I wasn't planning on banking, because I just don't get much to bank and it's expensive to freeze (unless he implores me too because he thinks it's a better chance to implant). Thoughts on the 3 cycle deal?

di_nyc
di_nyc

September 17th, 2011, 8:09 pm #2

The only reason I would do banking--and the only reason I am doing it to start with--is because I'm hoping I will end up with a couple of embryos to freeze each cycle, and because I think that getting out more of my 41 year old eggs up front rather than losing time to a miscarriage and then having to start all over again and work with eggs that would be at least 4-5 months older makes sense to me. However, my decision was based on having a not horrible AFC and NO IDEA of what kind of responder I am to high stims yet. If I was working with different data, I might have made a different decision.

My reason for choosing to do the 3 cycle package is similar in that it's all about the numbers; I decided to do 3 cycles was simply because of the savings, given that the odds are that it's most likely to take more than 1 cycle for me to succeed. All that said, I may adjust my thinking about banking and FET vs. fresh transfer, high vs. lower stims, and so on depending on what information I get from this and future cycles.

The point I want to make here is that I think you need to look at the data you already have about yourself based on your past treatment (along with your own mental and financial resources), because that's what you need to base your decision on. The decision I would make based on your current circumstances is different from the decision I would make based on mine, but you're the only one who can best make that decision for YOU. And sometimes it's a very simple choice... for instance, if I couldn't have afforded the 13k up front, that would have been my decision made!

I think the most important thing to realize, and what people in my life keep telling me, is that at a certain point you have to just make your choice and go with it and try not to second guess yourself or beat yourself up too much about how maybe you made the wrong choice. I know that's a LOT easier to say than to do, but I'm just trying to let go in that way as much as I can because otherwise I feel even crazier. Hope this helps!

September 17th, 2011, 9:02 pm #3

with low stim or natural in between so you don't lose a month.

While high stim is great, you do lose 2-3 months in between, because your ovaries need rest. However, during the down months, you can sign up for some natural IVF package deals so that you don't waste the precious eggs. Of course you can BD, but there is still the risk of miscarriage, which will cause further loss of time.

At my clinic, the 3-cycle natural IVF including ICSI and vitrification is only $6K, I am sure you east coasters can find even better deals than this, since there is more competition over there. This way, you do have to spend a bit more, but at the same time your base is completely covered, in other words, you have done EVERYTHING you possibly can under the sun to get to that golden egg.

September 17th, 2011, 9:09 pm #4

13,000 plus at SIRM. A bit resentful about a sales pitch for IVF, but on the other hand, it's a better deal. You get nothing back if you get pregnant before cycle 3. It saves about 5,000 over 3 cycles... I have a feeling there will be a phone call about it right before I got to ER. That's when they say you have to decide... I wasn't planning on banking, because I just don't get much to bank and it's expensive to freeze (unless he implores me too because he thinks it's a better chance to implant). Thoughts on the 3 cycle deal?
if affordability is not a problem, package is always a better deal. Think about this, if you have a live birth before using up the $13K, will you really regret it having the baby in your hand? On the other hand, if you are not successful in the first cycle, and still want to go on, will you regret not having signed up the 3-cycle package?

At our age, it is not about money any more. Because right now, if I throw money at the problem, the problem can still be solved. In a couple of years, no matter how much money I throw at the problem, it will still stare at me in the face. Any problem that can be resolved with money is NOT a problem. So if you have resources, concentrate your resources up front. The longer you wait, the more you need to throw at it and the marginal yield per dollar spent is approaching 0 very fast.
Last edited by miraclex2 on September 17th, 2011, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 18th, 2011, 12:35 am #5

with low stim or natural in between so you don't lose a month.

While high stim is great, you do lose 2-3 months in between, because your ovaries need rest. However, during the down months, you can sign up for some natural IVF package deals so that you don't waste the precious eggs. Of course you can BD, but there is still the risk of miscarriage, which will cause further loss of time.

At my clinic, the 3-cycle natural IVF including ICSI and vitrification is only $6K, I am sure you east coasters can find even better deals than this, since there is more competition over there. This way, you do have to spend a bit more, but at the same time your base is completely covered, in other words, you have done EVERYTHING you possibly can under the sun to get to that golden egg.
That is definitely something I'm considering, but I would probably have to go back and forth between clinics because the "EZ IVF" package--which is what my clinic calls low stim, as far as I can tell--*is* the 13k one we're talking about here. (They also offer something called "Micro IVF", but that one actually costs MORE per cycle so I'm guessing it isn't natural IVF.) And while I'm sure New Hope is a lot cheaper and I'll look around at prices other places, I also don't know that I want to rotate between clinics every other month and have to negotiate different REs being in charge of my body during alternating months... or at least not until I get a better handle on the whole IVF thing general. But yeah, if I could get 3 natural IVF cycles at SIRM for 6k total and alternate them w/my high stim ones, of course I'd go for it in a heartbeat! And it's a good idea.

BanyDance
BanyDance

September 18th, 2011, 1:20 am #6

As far as I know, there is no one in NY doing 3 cycles of natural IVF for around 6,000, not even Zhang. I would do that, would love to. Thanks for both of your inputs. I'm leaning towards doing it, but want to see how far I get this cycle. I can't BD in between, any longer, realistically. I have one vial at Repro I can do an IUI with..

Jamie
Jamie

September 18th, 2011, 1:35 am #7

if affordability is not a problem, package is always a better deal. Think about this, if you have a live birth before using up the $13K, will you really regret it having the baby in your hand? On the other hand, if you are not successful in the first cycle, and still want to go on, will you regret not having signed up the 3-cycle package?

At our age, it is not about money any more. Because right now, if I throw money at the problem, the problem can still be solved. In a couple of years, no matter how much money I throw at the problem, it will still stare at me in the face. Any problem that can be resolved with money is NOT a problem. So if you have resources, concentrate your resources up front. The longer you wait, the more you need to throw at it and the marginal yield per dollar spent is approaching 0 very fast.
agree with everything MIR said. n/t

BabyDance
BabyDance

September 18th, 2011, 1:59 am #8

It's not really true, though. Just because I throw money at it does not mean I will succeed. I'm up to 50,000 and no baby. I would beg, borrow and steal if it were that simple, but I get what you mean about the first part of your post.

September 18th, 2011, 6:40 am #9

As far as I know, there is no one in NY doing 3 cycles of natural IVF for around 6,000, not even Zhang. I would do that, would love to. Thanks for both of your inputs. I'm leaning towards doing it, but want to see how far I get this cycle. I can't BD in between, any longer, realistically. I have one vial at Repro I can do an IUI with..
I am pretty sure there are plenty of other mini or natural IVF practices around the northeastern cluster.

September 18th, 2011, 6:55 am #10

because there are so many 40+ primary or secondary infertility patients getting pregnant (well, at least a step closer to live birth). They are all challenging cases, or else they would not be doing mini-IVF which is really a last resort for DOR/high FSH or a combination of both. There are quite a few 45+ OE as well.

I remember that a few years ago, Kato ladies clinic that pioneered mini-IVF/natural IVF published that from 2001-2005, they had a consistent 7-8 live births out of several hundred cycles each year for patients aged 45-47. This is very inspiring.

Confirmation of reply: