short cycles

short cycles

January 2nd, 2012, 3:18 pm #1

This month I tested myself with ovulation sticks and got a positive result on day 10, meaning, I guess I ovulated on day 11 or so. I have just started my period on day 23, which is earlier than I have ever done before. My cycles are shorter than they used to be, but usually 25-27days. Is this yet another symptom of my depressing perimenopusal state? Or is it something else? I have tried really hard this month to keep calm, de-stressed and healthy. Also had several sessions of accupuncture. This feels like a real kick in the teeth. Anyone else get this? Anyone know any reasons why this may be happening?

NancyMN
NancyMN

January 2nd, 2012, 8:43 pm #2

I am 39, ...I always had textbook cycles, around 28-29 days. But then four years ago, they got shorter, 20-23 days, and sometimes they were as short as 18 days. At the time I had no idea what this was, my Dr. said "maybe perimenopause, this is normal (GRRRRRR)" . I did acupuncture and it fixed the issue immediately at the time, so I didn't think much of it. Then, 2 years ago, right before my wedding, they started getting shorter again. 22-24 days...after getting married we started TTC shortly thereafter and found out about having elevated FSH (15.7) and DOR...my doctor said probably my issue 4 years ago was the "start" of perimenopause. Also, at least in my case, I seem to recruit follicles earlier, which makes you ovulate earlier. But not every month, it's not consistent. So it's really frustrating... I seem to have some syptoms of perimenopause as well, like foggy brain/inability to concentrate, heart palpitations. Other than that, everything else is normal.

Toni from the playgroup
Toni from the playgroup

January 3rd, 2012, 5:11 am #3

This month I tested myself with ovulation sticks and got a positive result on day 10, meaning, I guess I ovulated on day 11 or so. I have just started my period on day 23, which is earlier than I have ever done before. My cycles are shorter than they used to be, but usually 25-27days. Is this yet another symptom of my depressing perimenopusal state? Or is it something else? I have tried really hard this month to keep calm, de-stressed and healthy. Also had several sessions of accupuncture. This feels like a real kick in the teeth. Anyone else get this? Anyone know any reasons why this may be happening?
This is yet another sign of perimenopause but if you are just starting the shorter cycles then you are years away from menopause. When I got my BFP with my DD my cycles had shortened up to 23-24 days. I know I ovulated on Day 11 or 12 and I was able to conceive. My daughter will be 5 yo in May and it is has been 6 months since last my last cycle. They got shorter and shorter and then started spreading out 2 years ago. You have plenty of time! GL
BTW My highest FSH was 110 6 months before I got my BFP with my DD! I was 42 years old
My FSH was 34.8 before I got my BFP with my DS who just turned 7 yo!! I was 40 years old
I did acu & herbs to get BFP with DS and took Vitex to get BFP with DD!!
No IVF or IUI

January 3rd, 2012, 11:06 am #4

Hello

Many thanks for writing this I am so grateful that you took the trouble to let me have your story. I have been feeling really very low and this helps a lot. What a role model you are! Can I ask how long you were ttc with your children? We have one DD (aged 4 1/2) who was concieved easily, but have been trying now for over a year. My FSH is 11 and my AMH is 3.44. I am 41 next month. We are moving towards IVF in the next few months.

January 3rd, 2012, 11:08 am #5

I am 39, ...I always had textbook cycles, around 28-29 days. But then four years ago, they got shorter, 20-23 days, and sometimes they were as short as 18 days. At the time I had no idea what this was, my Dr. said "maybe perimenopause, this is normal (GRRRRRR)" . I did acupuncture and it fixed the issue immediately at the time, so I didn't think much of it. Then, 2 years ago, right before my wedding, they started getting shorter again. 22-24 days...after getting married we started TTC shortly thereafter and found out about having elevated FSH (15.7) and DOR...my doctor said probably my issue 4 years ago was the "start" of perimenopause. Also, at least in my case, I seem to recruit follicles earlier, which makes you ovulate earlier. But not every month, it's not consistent. So it's really frustrating... I seem to have some syptoms of perimenopause as well, like foggy brain/inability to concentrate, heart palpitations. Other than that, everything else is normal.
Hello

Thanks for responding. I thought this was probably the case, but it's useful to have your experiences to confirm. I have only just been DX with high fsh, and it all seems to be happening so fast.

January 3rd, 2012, 12:15 pm #6

Hello

Many thanks for writing this I am so grateful that you took the trouble to let me have your story. I have been feeling really very low and this helps a lot. What a role model you are! Can I ask how long you were ttc with your children? We have one DD (aged 4 1/2) who was concieved easily, but have been trying now for over a year. My FSH is 11 and my AMH is 3.44. I am 41 next month. We are moving towards IVF in the next few months.
I'm not a doctor but that's a great AMH and a not too scary FSH. At 41 I think you have a great chance. I'm 46 and my cycles changed a lot after IVF (got much longer....around 35 days vs the usual 27-28) but although they've been more variable (as long as 36 days and as short as 27) I know I still ovulate (I have an ultrasound each month) and while you're producing eggs, you always have a chance (obviously a far better chance at 41 than 46! )

Good luck and I hope it's a quick fix for you

Al

January 3rd, 2012, 1:31 pm #7

I am only 35 but thought I would chime in. At age 30 my cycles began to get shorter. I conceived DD with fertility help at 32 but by 33 I started to go longer periods of time between AF and more absence of O. So I do think the short cycles precede the longer absences but perimenopause is not a singular event - it can go on for years. I would be rather aggressive with your age, short cycles and elevated fsh. Best of Luck!

BabyDance
BabyDance

January 3rd, 2012, 2:22 pm #8

I do believe it's perimenopause, but it can last for years, so don't fret, but don't waste time either. This happened to me at 39 and half, I had a 21 day cycle, then next month got my high FSH diagnosis. It hasn't happened since, but I've had shorter cycles, then longer, it goes back and forth now, whereas before it was pretty much 28 days. When I called my doctor freaking out about the early period, she said - it's a perimenopausal bleed.

NancyMN
NancyMN

January 3rd, 2012, 7:40 pm #9

Like the other posters said, it can go on for years. One doctor I saw said up to 15 (?) but I think average might be more like 7-10.

Toni from the playgroup
Toni from the playgroup

January 5th, 2012, 3:23 am #10

Hello

I started trying right before my 38th birthday. I got a bfp 4 months later but m/c. It took another year before I got a bfp with DS #1. When he was 9 months old I got a bfp but had another m/c. It then took me another year to get my bfp with my DD#2. After that I figured I would have just have a m/c again because I seem to skip so stopped trying. I also had an earlier m/c when I was 31 but I wasn't trying at all.
HTH & GL
Toni

Confirmation of reply: