Protocol Question

Protocol Question

Anon for this one, Please
Anon for this one, Please

April 29th, 2012, 12:18 pm #1

I need some advice, please.
I went to 2 different RE's for consultations. I am 40 years old and have never done an IVF yet.

One RE wanted to do this protocol:
6 Cetrotide
29 Doxycyclines
40 Vials Menopur
8 Medrol
1 HCG
4 Gonal F (1,050 multi unit)
Crinone

The Other RE specifically told me I would need to start birth control pills and then he mentioned going on Lupron. He did not give me the full list of what drugs I would be taking so I don't have the exact protocol but I have a feeling this clinic "batch" cycles their patients, meaning everyone on birthcontrol pills and everyone gets egg retrievals at the same time.

WWYD? Has anyone had experience with the above protocol?

Latest bloodwork: FSH 8 (Highest was 20) Estradiol 18 P4 0.5 and LH 5.

Molly
Molly

April 29th, 2012, 5:26 pm #2

Without knowing more, the first sounds like the EPP. Secons sounds like a flare. I would go with the first.

Also, trust your gut re going in "batches." my first RE did this and i regret playing along.

Best wishes.

Jamie
Jamie

April 29th, 2012, 9:02 pm #3

I went to 2 different RE's for consultations. I am 40 years old and have never done an IVF yet.

6 Cetrotide
29 Doxycyclines
40 Vials Menopur
8 Medrol
1 HCG
Crinone

The Other RE specifically told me I would need to start birth control pills and then he mentioned going on Lupron. He did not give me the full list of what drugs I would be taking so I don't have the exact protocol but I have a feeling this clinic "batch" cycles their patients, meaning everyone on birthcontrol pills and everyone gets egg retrievals at the same time.

That's a pretty standard protocol and a good one for high FSH. I had success with something very similar at age 39.

I do NOT, not recommend Lupron for starters. It is very suppressive and can easily oversuppress people like us. At age 36 I could not stim at all when Lupron was involved. Also, I hate the idea of batching for various reasons. The practice just needs to start women when they have their periods and not try to manipulate them for the REs' convenience (in the process, oversuppressing them).

April 29th, 2012, 10:07 pm #4

I have no insight but am curious...what is doxycycline for?

Jamie
Jamie

April 30th, 2012, 3:26 pm #5

When you have the egg retrieval it's possible to get an infection . . . it's an antibiotic that keeps that from happening. Very standard in IVF.

April 30th, 2012, 5:20 pm #6

Thanks....Ive used it for Ivf, just want sure why 29 would be needed. I think I've always used 4
Last edited by auntkat on April 30th, 2012, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jamie
Jamie

April 30th, 2012, 5:24 pm #7

I missed the number--29 is a lot! I've only used four also.

Anon for this, Please
Anon for this, Please

May 1st, 2012, 10:52 pm #8

6 Cetrotide
29 Doxycyclines
40 Vials Menopur
8 Medrol
1 HCG
Crinone

i appreciate your help and advice
i had also heard lupron and bcp=no good
only problem is, i liked #2 RE better than #1 RE....but I want to do RE#1s protocol
sigh
of course!

Confirmation of reply: