progesterone question (x/post)

progesterone question (x/post)

March 14th, 2012, 1:52 pm #1

I am a bit confused about what is the best form of progesterone - every RE seems to have their favorite. I think most RE's prescribe PIO, but Che,ck prescribes vaginal suppositories and prometrium. If the progesterone is still low, then I think he adds in the PIO. Why are so many doctors in favor of PIO, if the suppositories work just as well?

Kim
Kim

March 14th, 2012, 2:00 pm #2

Dr. C told me that the endometrium (which Cor.nell uses too after IUI) is good and Crinone supps too. The PIO is used for IVF mainly and not sure why. Maybe the thought is the PIO could be more potent due to the way it is delivered? Using Crinone or endometrium is better than prometrium Dr. C told us the end of last year. I used the Crinone supps (the kind that is not typical - suspended in coconut oil and look like a bullet) are the ones I used after a mini stim at Dr. C and had a great progesterone reading. Think it is all about what works for you. The Crinone supps seem to work well for me. Sorry not to be of more help!

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

March 14th, 2012, 2:45 pm #3

I am a bit confused about what is the best form of progesterone - every RE seems to have their favorite. I think most RE's prescribe PIO, but Che,ck prescribes vaginal suppositories and prometrium. If the progesterone is still low, then I think he adds in the PIO. Why are so many doctors in favor of PIO, if the suppositories work just as well?
The vaginal suppositories "allegedly" can't be adequately measured by blood tests as they do not go into the bloodstream but PIO does. As a result, they have no idea if it is working or not or if your P4 needs should be tweaked. The reason I say "allegedly" is because at my first clinic I was given vaginal supps only and clearly, my progesterone was measured much higher than it would have ever been without P4 support.

mtoto2
mtoto2

March 14th, 2012, 2:50 pm #4

The levels in your blood more accurately with PIO but not Crinone. He said tests show Crinone works just fine & it's now the preferred choice in Europe. It's sometimes a matter of habit & not changing things if they are not broken.

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 14th, 2012, 2:51 pm #5

I used POI 2ml + supp 400mg( level progesteron was 90) with BFP.

Kim
Kim

March 14th, 2012, 3:26 pm #6

I thought my progesterone at 32 after mini stim IVF with CP was good. Need to do the PIO and the supps combined next time!

BabyDance
BabyDance

March 14th, 2012, 3:46 pm #7

He is just as comfortable with crinone and that PIO is just old school and what they feel most comforatable prescribing, but the crinone is just as effective, in his opinion. Also PIO shows up better in the blood work.

Confirmation of reply: