Please help me with your opinion about this protocol going forward.

Please help me with your opinion about this protocol going forward.

SillyPuppy
SillyPuppy

May 29th, 2012, 11:48 pm #1

Today is CD 8. I am on my 6th dose of 150 IUs of Menopur. I finished the last dose of Femara 7.5 mg (cd3-7) yesterday on cd. When I went into for a scan on CD 3 I had 3 follicles. Today on CD 8 I still only have 3 follicles the largest follicle is 14. They told me to continue taking the Menopur through Thursday and do a trigger on Friday. IUI would be Saturday.

Since I am supposed to do an IUI this cycle, I think my RE was a little disappointed I didn't have more follicles from this protocol. She feels like I did just as well on the Femara alone two cycles prior.

The month I did Femara only (7.5 mg-- cd3-7) I also had 3 follicles: 17, 16, and 21. These were measured on CD 10 and I was told to trigger that same day and we did TI over the course of the next few days.

Of course that cycle was a bust as I ended up with a killer UTI.

The cycle AFTER this I O'd later than usual, my period started three days later than usual and it appears that I O'd off my Left ovary which I normally do not ovulate off of.

When I took NO MEDS AT ALL I was showing 8 small follicles on CD 3. I have no idea what happened to them over the course of the next few days.

I ovulate monthly and show highs and peaks on the CBFM. I also show peaks on the CB digital. My temps correspond to this as well.

My husband has no issues with sperm at all.

My questions are:

1) is an IUI pointless (her theory is that it puts the sperm closer to the place it needs to be. She had hoped I would have more follicles and increase possible number of eggs

2) she thought in the future I would respond better to Femara only as it seemed I had just about the same result with Femara AND Menopur. She didn't seem to suggest other injectibles.

3) If I had 8 follicles with no meds am I making things worse with meds or is this protocol not correct?

Thanks for any insight you are willing to give.

SillyPuppy
SillyPuppy

May 29th, 2012, 11:55 pm #2

My E2 was 36 which they said was fine given that I had been on estrogen suppression and it was where they would expect it given the lead follicle size and the other two being around 9.

Please don't think I am crazy. I am starting to feel that way.

SillyPuppy
SillyPuppy

May 30th, 2012, 11:07 am #3

Thanks for answering. I am feeling desparate. (yes sad, I know) n/t

summerwind03
summerwind03

May 30th, 2012, 11:29 am #4

Today is CD 8. I am on my 6th dose of 150 IUs of Menopur. I finished the last dose of Femara 7.5 mg (cd3-7) yesterday on cd. When I went into for a scan on CD 3 I had 3 follicles. Today on CD 8 I still only have 3 follicles the largest follicle is 14. They told me to continue taking the Menopur through Thursday and do a trigger on Friday. IUI would be Saturday.

Since I am supposed to do an IUI this cycle, I think my RE was a little disappointed I didn't have more follicles from this protocol. She feels like I did just as well on the Femara alone two cycles prior.

The month I did Femara only (7.5 mg-- cd3-7) I also had 3 follicles: 17, 16, and 21. These were measured on CD 10 and I was told to trigger that same day and we did TI over the course of the next few days.

The cycle AFTER this I O'd later than usual, my period started three days later than usual and it appears that I O'd off my Left ovary which I normally do not ovulate off of.

When I took NO MEDS AT ALL I was showing 8 small follicles on CD 3. I have no idea what happened to them over the course of the next few days.

I ovulate monthly and show highs and peaks on the CBFM. I also show peaks on the CB digital. My temps correspond to this as well.

My questions are:

1) is an IUI pointless (her theory is that it puts the sperm closer to the place it needs to be. She had hoped I would have more follicles and increase possible number of eggs

2) she thought in the future I would respond better to Femara only as it seemed I had just about the same result with Femara AND Menopur. She didn't seem to suggest other injectibles.

3) If I had 8 follicles with no meds am I making things worse with meds or is this protocol not correct?

I think if you can afford it, the IUI can help ensure the swimmers get to the right place at the right time. You can still bd a day or more before and afterwards.

In general, most people have a fair number of follicles early in the cycle (they're called antral follicles, usually measured on cd2 or cd3), but as time goes along, only the one (or occasionally two) naturally mature. So no, you wouldn't have had 8 mature on a natural cycle.

No real thoughts on best future protocol. I think it's a crap shoot. If Femara got you 3 mature follicles on its own, that's pretty good, and less invasive than stims.

I am surprised that your RE isn't having you come back for another scan and to measure your hormones again, say, tomorrow, before having you trigger. That makes me think he's not taking your case that seriously. I always had ultrasounds right up until the day I triggered, to be sure things were progressing, my hormones were appropriate, and to make sure the timing was right.

Good luck.

ElizaN
ElizaN

May 30th, 2012, 11:47 am #5

My questions are:

Hi,

just wanted to send you a reply as well because I can understand that "going crazy" feeling. It is hard. I agree with summerwind, it is all a bit of a crap shoot. Not sure what to say about the protocol, but if you feel that your RE is usually helpful, I would go with what the person is saying. Also, BD if you can. None of it can hurt, or really mess things up, I don't think. Sometimes the best use that comes out of a medicated (and thus monitored) cycle is information about your body. Good to know that your other ovary is sometimes working. I tend to think I get wildly different cycles depending on which ovary is ovulating. My R ovary has an endometrioma and I think it is not good for much. Cycles where the L ovary is working are more "normal" (whatever that is!)

Good luck, hang in there.

Wishing you the best.

ElizaN
ElizaN

May 30th, 2012, 11:51 am #6

just to take another load off your mind, I really don't think that a protocol alone would totally mess up everything, although I understand people might feel that. I think the trouble is, it is all just so unpredictable. I think it is totally normal for us to have follicles that just up and disappear, unfortunately. This is all very hard and if you second guess yourself, that just feels so much worse. That is the "crap shoot" idea. Really, if any of this could be controlled any better, then it wouldn't be such a crap shoot with no solid information, etc. Hugs.

SillyPuppy
SillyPuppy

May 30th, 2012, 2:01 pm #7

I think if you can afford it, the IUI can help ensure the swimmers get to the right place at the right time. You can still bd a day or more before and afterwards.

In general, most people have a fair number of follicles early in the cycle (they're called antral follicles, usually measured on cd2 or cd3), but as time goes along, only the one (or occasionally two) naturally mature. So no, you wouldn't have had 8 mature on a natural cycle.

No real thoughts on best future protocol. I think it's a crap shoot. If Femara got you 3 mature follicles on its own, that's pretty good, and less invasive than stims.

I am surprised that your RE isn't having you come back for another scan and to measure your hormones again, say, tomorrow, before having you trigger. That makes me think he's not taking your case that seriously. I always had ultrasounds right up until the day I triggered, to be sure things were progressing, my hormones were appropriate, and to make sure the timing was right.

Good luck.
Yes I am just wondering IF the first time I get my AFC count I have 8 on CD3 and now several cycles later and on and off meds I am done to 3 or 4 is there something going on?

I am going to ask for another scan and blood test but I have a phone call into the REs office so I don't know what they will say. They shouldn't care since I have to pay for this all out of pocket anyway.

Sigh....

SillyPuppy
SillyPuppy

May 30th, 2012, 2:04 pm #8

Hi,

just wanted to send you a reply as well because I can understand that "going crazy" feeling. It is hard. I agree with summerwind, it is all a bit of a crap shoot. Not sure what to say about the protocol, but if you feel that your RE is usually helpful, I would go with what the person is saying. Also, BD if you can. None of it can hurt, or really mess things up, I don't think. Sometimes the best use that comes out of a medicated (and thus monitored) cycle is information about your body. Good to know that your other ovary is sometimes working. I tend to think I get wildly different cycles depending on which ovary is ovulating. My R ovary has an endometrioma and I think it is not good for much. Cycles where the L ovary is working are more "normal" (whatever that is!)

Good luck, hang in there.

Wishing you the best.
I agree I am learning about my body. So far my takeaway is that perhaps my body does better (higher initial AFC) without meds. Of course all it takes is the one and the majority of women are only pushing out one egg. I guess our hope is that this medicated protocol would somehow magically up the number of follicles. I figured it wouldn't when my baseline showed only 3. I don't know what is going on here with my body but I guess I will try.

Trying hard not to let this get to me.

Thanks for reaching out.

SillyPuppy
SillyPuppy

May 30th, 2012, 2:06 pm #9

I am a dork! I meant Eliza^! So sorry n/t

anne
anne

May 30th, 2012, 3:38 pm #10

My questions are:

go for the iui, bd either two days or 1 day before trigger because you want them there waiting.

i think most women start with more than one follicle but then you get a dominant and the rest go away.

try not to stress too much, this may be a good one!

Confirmation of reply: