OT- Guiliana & Bill Last Night

OT- Guiliana & Bill Last Night

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

June 6th, 2012, 3:56 pm #1

Hi,

Watched the show last night and I am confused. They stated that her cancer was estrogen based and that she will have to use Tamoxifin for the next five years. The Dr. said that her cancer was more agressive than they had previously thought. They then decided to go ahead and do an egg retrievel before she started Tamoxifin!! How is this okay? On TV they jumped straight from having been told that they could do one more ER to the actual ER so it's hard to know if they stimmed or not. I'm thinking that they did this because they did not want any flack for stimming when she has an estroggen based cancer. Bill told her that she had better get a lot of eggs so I'm assuming that they actually stimmed. Also, they had many eggs last time but only had two normal embryos so I can't imagine that they went with a natural IVF. What am I missing? This does not seem right.

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

June 6th, 2012, 5:28 pm #2

First, I didn't watch last night's show yet-- it is DVR'd...

My understanding was that she was already stimming when she went for the mammogram and was only a few days away from ER when they discovered her cancer. So, they let her finish the stim/ER since it was in process and a only few days away and it would allow her to try to preserve "fertility" before undergoing the cancer treatment. My assumption was that they did CGH for all the embryos and only had 2 normal ones to freeze since you are correct that she had like 15 eggs during one of the earlier IVF attempts.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

June 6th, 2012, 5:38 pm #3

But she already used both of those embryos and the result is the current pregnancy of her gestational carrier. They transferred both to the GC. She did a new procedure on last night's episode.

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

June 6th, 2012, 5:49 pm #4

I guess I need to watch last night's episode before I shoot my mouth off! I'm guessing that you are correct that they didn't mention her stimming but that since the stims are only for a short period of time (ie 10 days or so), that they did it before she started tamoxifen. I am BRCA1+ and have heard of methods to preserve "fertility" before treatment begins. I've never quite understood it since it seems to me that you have to give stims which would make the cancer grow faster. So, just ignore me since I need to go watch this now! LOL

June 6th, 2012, 6:22 pm #5

Hi,

Watched the show last night and I am confused. They stated that her cancer was estrogen based and that she will have to use Tamoxifin for the next five years. The Dr. said that her cancer was more agressive than they had previously thought. They then decided to go ahead and do an egg retrievel before she started Tamoxifin!! How is this okay? On TV they jumped straight from having been told that they could do one more ER to the actual ER so it's hard to know if they stimmed or not. I'm thinking that they did this because they did not want any flack for stimming when she has an estroggen based cancer. Bill told her that she had better get a lot of eggs so I'm assuming that they actually stimmed. Also, they had many eggs last time but only had two normal embryos so I can't imagine that they went with a natural IVF. What am I missing? This does not seem right.
I haven't watched it yet. I can't imagine they would let her stim....but sounds like with him referencing multiple follicles, maybe they did. I guess they really want more than one kiddo. Hard to say what I would do in that situation. I already worry about all the stims I have done and I didn't even get a child out of it. I'm really hoping they don't increase the risk. My acupuncturist has me on another cleanse to try to rid my body of risidual drugs. I'll have to get caught up on my Guilliana and Bill viewing this weekend!

xoxo, Tracy

sugar
sugar

June 6th, 2012, 8:00 pm #6

Hi,

Here is the part that was never clear to me. If I am understanding correctly, wasn't the mammo ordered before she cycled to make sure it was okay for her to cycle? If so, then why would they allow her to go ahead & stim/cycle after the initial findings on the mammo? Just have to wonder if Bill's comment "make a lot of eggs",etc., isn't contrived for TV so that they can be assured privacy (which I totally get) if they used other options....something about it all just seems a bit fuzzy to me. I may be way off in my assumptions because I really have not been following to closely. Just my .02.

Amy
Amy

June 6th, 2012, 11:27 pm #7

I haven't watched it yet. I can't imagine they would let her stim....but sounds like with him referencing multiple follicles, maybe they did. I guess they really want more than one kiddo. Hard to say what I would do in that situation. I already worry about all the stims I have done and I didn't even get a child out of it. I'm really hoping they don't increase the risk. My acupuncturist has me on another cleanse to try to rid my body of risidual drugs. I'll have to get caught up on my Guilliana and Bill viewing this weekend!

xoxo, Tracy
Tracy,
I have the same concerns about all these lingering drugs and any threat they might pose to my health. Just curious...what kind of cleanse are you doing? I think I should do a cleanse, but not sure where to start.

Thanks!

June 6th, 2012, 11:46 pm #8

sells them in her office, but I found links on the internet just so you could see ingredients. In the past I have done this one.

http://www.acuatlanta.net/apex-energetics-clearvite-(k21)-735-grams-p-18500.html

It involves eating a specific wheat free, dairy free diet for 14 days that is even meat, fish and chicken free for some of the days. It was a good one, but since I just started Weight watchers, I wasn't quiet up for this as well, so she is just having me do a supplement that is supposed to help detox the liver. It is this one.http://www.acuatlanta.net/metacrindx-ca ... 18508.html

Something interesting I noticed when I did the one listed first is that (may be TMI) my bowel movements had a gonal F odor! It had been weeks since I stimmed. Gonal F is the only fertility drug that I noticed that distinct odor with. Follistim and all the others seem fragrance free. In any case, that convinced me that it was purging stuff from my body.

xoxo, Tracy

Last edited by kittygirltx on June 6th, 2012, 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PhoebeMass
PhoebeMass

June 6th, 2012, 11:59 pm #9

Hi,

We had 4 failed IUI's under our belt and doing IVF for the first time. In the middle of cycling my primary care doctor said I was overdue for a mammogram and needed one. Pronto. I wanted to wait and see how the cycle went - but she was insistent. Off I went to get a mammogram. I think we were 5 or 6 days from anticipated retrieval. They found cysts and wanted to look at them more closely. Back in the next day for an ultrasound. 14 cysts clustered. But nothing of concern. They thought it was from the fertility meds. I kept the cycle going and ended up conceiving our now healthy 3.5 year old DD on that cycle. Lo and behold, they were gone at the next mammo a year later.

Not being an expert on Bill and Guliana (but a fan and rooting for them) maybe the same type of thing happened to them....? I know I am probably missing something major that is giving away a poker type of "tell".

The whole thing totally freaked me out and was completely unsettling. Seriously? While I was cycling and so nervous as it was. Then the call back for a second look. Total freak out on my part. Fortunately, though, I had a clean bill of health.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

June 7th, 2012, 1:33 am #10

Here is the part that was never clear to me. If I am understanding correctly, wasn't the mammo ordered before she cycled to make sure it was okay for her to cycle? If so, then why would they allow her to go ahead & stim/cycle after the initial findings on the mammo? Just have to wonder if Bill's comment "make a lot of eggs",etc., isn't contrived for TV so that they can be assured privacy (which I totally get) if they used other options....something about it all just seems a bit fuzzy to me. I may be way off in my assumptions because I really have not been following to closely. Just my .02.
I said the same thing when she was first diagnosed. Everyone kept saying how "wonderful" CCRM was...but all I could think of is the fact that they went ahead and allowed her to cycle before getting the results of her mammogram which was a pre-cycle requirement. At the time, we did not know that her cancer was estrogen based. Now we do. She found out that she had cancer while cycling. She opted to continue. Some would say that she should not have been allowed to continue. Who knows if doing so made her cancer more aggressive. BTW, I think you may be onto something. That in fact perhaps they did not do another ER but it was all for show in order to throw people off the track when they decide to use donor eggs five years from now. Otherwise, this makes NO sense to me. They did not show anything. You would think that she would have to be suppressed and take stims. On the show, one day they decided to do another ER prior to starting Tamoxifin and the next scene they were at CCRM doing an ER. I don't even like that they showed that. What if other cancer patients follow suit to their detriment?

Confirmation of reply: