Opinions needed

Opinions needed

August 7th, 2012, 7:20 pm #1

I went in today for a CD2 baseline ultrasound and bloodwork. Results came back with a 9mm follicle on my left ovary and a 3 & 4 mm on my right. Bloodwork came back as fsh=14, e2=32. I didn't do any form of suppression prior to this cycle.

I was so hoping all my follicles would be below 6-7mm, so that I would have more even growth and go into retrievel with a better chance of having more then one mature. I really hate going through this process for only one egg when I ovulatre fine on my own.

Do you think it's any benefit to skipping this cycle and take the estinyl or estrace and try again next month?

FWIW, last ivf my fsh was 8, e2=32 AFC 3. Retrieved 4, only one mature enough to fertilize, transferred one. bfn.

Kim
Kim

August 7th, 2012, 7:47 pm #2

Hmmm, depends on what stims you are using and are you ok with spending the cost of the meds and monitoring? Thinking maybe you stim and if it looks like the E2 and the follicles sizes only show, based on your last IVF results, there will be only one mature egg, you could cancel at the last minute?

Even if you stim this cycle on very low doses, you could E2 prime for next month this cycle so you don't miss out on cycling again?

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

August 7th, 2012, 11:01 pm #3

I went in today for a CD2 baseline ultrasound and bloodwork. Results came back with a 9mm follicle on my left ovary and a 3 & 4 mm on my right. Bloodwork came back as fsh=14, e2=32. I didn't do any form of suppression prior to this cycle.

I was so hoping all my follicles would be below 6-7mm, so that I would have more even growth and go into retrievel with a better chance of having more then one mature. I really hate going through this process for only one egg when I ovulatre fine on my own.

Do you think it's any benefit to skipping this cycle and take the estinyl or estrace and try again next month?

FWIW, last ivf my fsh was 8, e2=32 AFC 3. Retrieved 4, only one mature enough to fertilize, transferred one. bfn.
Hello!
I hate to say it but I'd be tempted to cancel. You know I have no issue retrieving only one but I recall C.heck saying that pregnancy outcomes were poor if the retrieval date is too early in the cycle. I'd be concerned that your 9mm will be ready before CD12 and apparently that doesn't bode well. When I primed the cycle before I was able to get to CD14 for the ER versus the prior cycle where I had no suppression and my ER was on CD10. I didn't make it to an ET for that cycle. GL making your decision. It's a tough one.

K
K

August 7th, 2012, 11:42 pm #4

I think it would depend mainly on finances (for me, at least). A friend of mine just cancelled her own IVF cycle, because she had only 2 eggs. She is entirely self-pay.

August 8th, 2012, 2:54 am #5

The nurse called and they don't want to stim me with an fsh above 10. They want me to take Estinyl but I don't have the med so I will most likely cancel this cycle. I asked about taking Estrace in the LP but she was not giving me that option.

It was a complete fluke my last go around that my fsh was an 8. Otherwise my numbers going into this are exactly the same as last time. Not sure if my fsh will ever get that low again. Coming off of bcp and lupron suppression my fsh was always in the 13-14 range.

The nurse also said that my follicles showed a 9mm and 5mm. Plus a couple of other little ones. That gap isn't as bad as I originally thought. Maybe I should push to move foward this cycle? Is it possible to convert to a medicated TI or an IUI?

What to do, what to do??

Kim
Kim

August 8th, 2012, 11:22 am #6

While Mrs. McIrish is correct that O earlier is not that great, I think it is fine if you have short cycles anyhow. I always have had short cycles so it it normal for me to O day 10-12. Also, Broodyhen did a femera round and O'd earlier I thought, and she had luck.

I would say try to stimm b/c you just never know! You can get the estinyl at a pharmacy relatively quickly I would imagine? But I found if I took it too long it suppressed me so I only took it for a few days in the first part of my cycle.

Also, you have to ask yourself if you would be ok with only two follicles and going to ER?

Kim
Kim

August 8th, 2012, 11:30 am #7

With FSH 14, I might opt out of this cycle - but you still might be ok with the slightly higher FSH?

If you want to E2 prime, you could take 2mg of Estrace from 3 days after O until a BFN then switch to the estinyl for a couple of days. There are a few ways to E2 prime. Woman on this site said to use progesterone too while using the Estrace. When you go off the Estrace is when you stop the progesterone if you have the BFN of course. Then you will continue on taking the estinyl for the first few days of you next cycle. I stopped on day 4 or 5 at the latest since it seemed to suppress me too much.

August 8th, 2012, 12:59 pm #8

I was hoping to take the Estrace/Estinyl combo with this cycle but when I called and left a message on the nurses line inquiring about it, nobody returned my calls. In total I left 4 messages with other questions and no one would called. Just kind of gave up and figured I'd see where I was at naturally.

Anyway, when speaking to the nurse last evening I told her that I don't like sitting any month out and I would like to do the Estrace in the LP this cycle. She said "we don't do that" she said we prescribe Estinyl. I kept re-asking the quesiton thinking maybe I was saying it wrong, she was adamant that they only use estinyl and that was all she was going to call a prescription in for. Estrace requires a prescription, correct?

The other thing that's bothering me is when I called to set this cycle up I was told we will just do a repeat of last time. Last time I started stims on CD 3 (this time she is saying I'll start on cd 5) and I used Menopur last go around. They are saying I won't need the Menopur. I get that the stim start date can change based on follicle size (although mine is identitcal to every other ivf I had done (9 or 10mm by cd2 even after suppression).
I don't understand why the meds would change when I haven't spoke to an RE inbetween the two IVFs. Plus I have all my records from the first go around and there is no notes about changing things up. I'm wondering who is making the changes.

I think I may try to get a Dr. on the phone today.

Kim
Kim

August 8th, 2012, 1:37 pm #9

Dr. C's offices? If so they definitely do the E2 priming. I did it there - well, maybe on my own - cannot remember now. But I did have the Estrace and the Estinyl priming there. If you want to share your email address I can maybe help you out.

Sounds like they are not sticking to the same protocol, including timing and meds. Guess with a higher FSH to start, they think you need to start a little later in your cycle with meds. Makes sense in a way.

Kim
Kim

August 8th, 2012, 1:42 pm #10

Definitely ask to speak to a RE. I asked a couple of times (and sometimes I did not always ask) and still a RE called me back at Dr. C's offices. I found faxing my questions and monitoring call backs the best way to communicate there.

Confirmation of reply: