Ok, I guess it's time for New Hope.

Ok, I guess it's time for New Hope.

BabyDance
BabyDance

August 23rd, 2011, 3:37 am #1

I have very mixed feelings about this. Those of you that have been there, please tell me what to expect or anything you think I should no. For those of you have been here a while, is it reasonable to think he could do mini IVF on me, that FSH of 27 is treatable with Zhang, or am I even a lost cause for him and he will just cycle me anyway because he will cycle anybody? I'm going to go to acu tomorrow and bump up my DHEA to 50, and call Zhang tomorrow. But, I don't want to keep going if it's really game over. Zhang is just the only place that's affordable for repeated IVF's in the city. I think it's time...I'm a friggin mess tonight... but trying to forge forward. I called Zhang about 2 months ago, and no one answers the phone there, it's a machine.

BabyDance
BabyDance

August 23rd, 2011, 3:38 am #2

"know, not no!" nt.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

August 23rd, 2011, 3:44 am #3

I have very mixed feelings about this. Those of you that have been there, please tell me what to expect or anything you think I should no. For those of you have been here a while, is it reasonable to think he could do mini IVF on me, that FSH of 27 is treatable with Zhang, or am I even a lost cause for him and he will just cycle me anyway because he will cycle anybody? I'm going to go to acu tomorrow and bump up my DHEA to 50, and call Zhang tomorrow. But, I don't want to keep going if it's really game over. Zhang is just the only place that's affordable for repeated IVF's in the city. I think it's time...I'm a friggin mess tonight... but trying to forge forward. I called Zhang about 2 months ago, and no one answers the phone there, it's a machine.
BD..I love you...but you are all over the place. You just received some very upsetting news today....so I understand. Really though....take time to digest everything. You just literally started a cycle with Dr. T days ago. A few days earlier you couldn't decide if you should go back to Check or go to Dr. T. IUI v. IVF. Donor sperm v. working with DP. Slow down a bit. Give it a chance. Rest your mind for a minute. Dr. Zhang will still be there. Concentrate on what you are doing now and getting your FSH back down. Didn't you stop acu? Maybe it's time to go back.

What are Dr. T's EZ=IVF prices like compared to Zhang's? I thought that they were comparable? In any case...hang in there...I'm rooting for you.

BabyDance
BabyDance

August 23rd, 2011, 3:55 am #4

At least 5,000 more for 3 cycles, or more. I am all over the place, I'm freaking out. I really feel it's game over, and I'm chasing unicorns, and it's really hard to do it alone. So, yes, I'm all over the place right now, but I am going to call Zhang. I just didn't expect this sudden rise. It's scary.

BabyDance
BabyDance

August 23rd, 2011, 4:13 am #5

Reviews online are horrible for Zhang!!!!! nt.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

August 23rd, 2011, 4:19 am #6

At least 5,000 more for 3 cycles, or more. I am all over the place, I'm freaking out. I really feel it's game over, and I'm chasing unicorns, and it's really hard to do it alone. So, yes, I'm all over the place right now, but I am going to call Zhang. I just didn't expect this sudden rise. It's scary.
Okay....$5,000 per cycle or an extra $5,000 over three cycles? I know that $5,000 is nothing to sneeze at and Zhang works with some pretty tough cases. Just do your research on Zhang and his office as I know you will. I'm so sorry that you are going through this. When I found out my FSH had shot up to 18.2 I damn near went batty so I can only imagine how you must feel. However, I then pulled myself together...headed to the organic food store for my frozen wheatgrass shots, got serious about acu and let the ladies here pull me off the ledge and got on with it. You WILL be okay. Just be smart about things. You are an intelligent and resourceful woman. I just feel like you are moving in a million different directions. Sometimes you just need to be STILL. Sorry if its not my place to say that. Just know the place where it is coming from.

August 23rd, 2011, 4:34 am #7

if someone is a DOR poor responder, the doctor really can't do much. I have to carry most of the weight. Therefore, finding the cheapest place that can allow me to cycle as many times as possible makes all the sense.

I have done consults at numerous places, and I go away with the impression that the excellent labs can screen your eggs better (CGH array), preserve your eggs better (co-culture, vitrification), or diagnose you better (antisperm, MTHFR etc. issues) etc. but in the end no doctor can miraculously increase the number and quality of eggs that you are producing. If you have the number advantage, go with the best lab/doctor you can find because the core skill of the doctor is in tweaking the antagonist to allow the smaller follicles to catch up. But if you have only 1 or 2, there is no catch-up issue. Find the cheapest doctor so that you can cycle over and over again.

Since IVF is really a numbers game, those who get the most eggs have the best chance. For some, they can reach that goal in one shot, for others, they will have to keep trying cycle after cycle to get to that number. Price is the single most important factor if one pursues the latter strategy.

So I do the pre-cycle blood work and analysis at the expensive places because they are more thorough. But once I obtain the diagnosis, I switch to an inexpensive clinic that still provides vitrification to cycle as many times as possible.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

August 23rd, 2011, 4:47 am #8

I hear where you are coming from. Can't say that I agree though. Whether you have the ability to make 2 or 20 eggs...in the wrong hands, you will not see optimal results. I've seen it time and again. Girls that make a zillion eggs but can't get pregnant and girls that make a handful having babies. It seems to me that ESPECIALLY if you are a poor responder that you had better be with a Dr that is able to get each and every egg that you are capable of making and most importantly, you had better get yourself a clinic with a lab that knows what to do with those eggs when they are retrieved. If you make few eggs you can hardly afford poor fertilization rates and embies that don't make it due to lab failure. You need the best all the way around...not just half-way. It means squat if your Dr has a great protocol but the lab he/she uses is second-rate. If your Dr is not good at ER's or ET's...where will you be?

Like you...I do think that mini-IVF is likely the way to go for poor responders, but in that pursuit, I would never forget that I am looking for more than just a place to store and bank my precious embies.

August 23rd, 2011, 5:23 am #9

One success at first shot. The rest 4 failures. Same doctors (cycled with two), same lab.

I stayed with them because of insurance coverage. The doctors themselves told me that out of all factors that affect IVF outcome, the one that humans can control the least is the number and quality of eggs generated at each cycle. It is both genetic and luck. The doctors admitted themselves, they cannot control the general hormone environment of mine that month, because so much of it is unknown.

And here is the funny thing. I consulted at other three top clinics on the west coast, went the whole nine yards just short of cycling, and these doctors prescribed the SAME exact protocol as the one I cycled with that ended up in failure. Which means, if I were to go with any of these top three and use their protocols in that month, it would have been the same result. I only do 3 day fresh transfer of all embies available, so lab quality matters little. I tried 3 protocols altogether in my 5 IVF attempts.

I have a good rapport with my current doctor because I cycled so many times with her. She openly admitted to me that 80% of the IVF outcome is beyond doctor's control. It is pure luck. The only way to guarantee success is to cycle as many times as possible.
Last edited by miraclex2 on August 23rd, 2011, 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 23rd, 2011, 5:54 am #10

Your making me nervous for you. It seems as though you are, as Dee said, all over the place. I dont know any more about the res than you do, but I do hope you get some peace. Youre making alot of decisions in a short time. I know you are wigged out about time, as we all are, but take a bit of perspective. You KNOW that FSH fluctuates. An up fluctuation does not necessarily indicate an upward trend. You are dealing with so many emotional variables right now, and I dont want you to make your decisions in haste (yes, make timely decisions, but not hasty ones). You selected your current RE for a reason. Those reasons do not disappear because you got a higher reading. Try to get some of whatever expertice you wanted/needed from him.
Most of all I want you to get the child you need. Right now I need you to feel a bit more peace with yourself.

Thinking of you with the best of wishes..

D

Confirmation of reply: