New to group...failed IVF cycle...need help pleeeez!

New to group...failed IVF cycle...need help pleeeez!

September 24th, 2011, 3:15 am #1

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this group, but wanted to get your advice because everyone seems so knowledgeable and supportive here.

I'm 39, with stage IV endo, had one tube clipped in 2008. Back then, tried clomid/iui once --> BFN, then IVF with antagonist protocol, 12 eggs, 7 embies, transferred 3 embies at D3 (no frozens), BFP, had DD in 2009.

TTC baby #2 now. Had second laparoscopic surgery for endo in July. My RE recommended a downreg protocol with lupron/ gonal-f/ menopur. Didn't work as well this time. 6 eggs retrieved, 3 embies, and no transfer. They do only day 5 transfers now where I go, and none got to blastocyst stage by day 5. Two arrested on day 6, and only one can be frozen for a natural cycle next time around. I just found out today.

My question is: what's the best stim protocol to produce the highest quality eggs? My RE thought the downreg protocol would produce better eggs than antagonist, but it didn't seem to work as well for me.

Any thoughts appreciated! Thanks.

September 24th, 2011, 6:50 am #2

It really varies for each woman and unfortunately (considering the price) a lot of it is trial and error as you find out what is best for you. If you have had good results with an antagonist cycle, I'd be tempted to try that again. For myself, I've had better results with flare cycles (agonist cycles but you start stims and suppression both on CD2) and with low-stim cycles (where they give you minimal stims with idea of coaxing out 2-4 good follicles instead of poorer quality eggs with more stims). Other ladies here have had had success with higher stim cycles.

I would suggest getting second (and third and 4th) opinions from a range of doctors, and don't only ask them what they recommend, ask them why they think that protocol is best for you. I've done that and googled their rationales in the past and that helps me know whether it was a gamble worth taking if it doesn't work. For example, my Dr suggested Luveris on 2 cycles and I read a lot after talking to him about why it helps oocyte maturity. So although it was a disaster for me (1 embryo from 20 follicles over 2 different cycles) I don't feel so "ripped off" by the failures (although obviously they were devastating) because I could see lots of literature support for what he was trying to do.

Sorry there isn't one real answer. I'm sure others will chime in. I haven't had endo so what's worked for me won't necessarily have worked for you, but doing lots of searching and discussions up front helps - in my experience - to know what your options are and make a rational choice....vs just going with what one doctor tells you.

Good luck

al

September 24th, 2011, 3:08 pm #3

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this group, but wanted to get your advice because everyone seems so knowledgeable and supportive here.

I'm 39, with stage IV endo, had one tube clipped in 2008. Back then, tried clomid/iui once --> BFN, then IVF with antagonist protocol, 12 eggs, 7 embies, transferred 3 embies at D3 (no frozens), BFP, had DD in 2009.

TTC baby #2 now. Had second laparoscopic surgery for endo in July. My RE recommended a downreg protocol with lupron/ gonal-f/ menopur. Didn't work as well this time. 6 eggs retrieved, 3 embies, and no transfer. They do only day 5 transfers now where I go, and none got to blastocyst stage by day 5. Two arrested on day 6, and only one can be frozen for a natural cycle next time around. I just found out today.

My question is: what's the best stim protocol to produce the highest quality eggs? My RE thought the downreg protocol would produce better eggs than antagonist, but it didn't seem to work as well for me.

your body reacts differently in each month. The truth is, nobody knows (the honest doctors will tell you they don't know), and the only way to find out is to try different protocols yourself. It is a very expensive trial and error process and you just have to be patient.

I had the exact same protocols as you for the first two times, and very similar results. MDL is supposed to be the best for older women with DOR but it was a disaster for me. So you see, you never know until you try it out yourself.

Oz
Oz

September 24th, 2011, 5:23 pm #4

Hi everyone,

So sorry you are dealing with this.

Did you see MIR's post below?

Might want to look at that article.
http://infertile.com/inthenew/sci/2010- ... ni-IVF.htm

Good luck--I hope you find the right protocol soon. And maybe the one in the freezer is all you need!

Hang in there,
Oz

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

September 24th, 2011, 6:10 pm #5

Hi everyone,

I think most clinics consider both the MDL or micro-dose Lupron protocol and EPP..or estrogen priming protocols to be the protocols of last resort for those os us that are AMA, DOR etc. I have done well with EPP and many others have too. This protocol however does suppress some though. If I were you, I would start looking into trying EPP and MDL. Good luck.

September 30th, 2011, 2:36 am #6

It really varies for each woman and unfortunately (considering the price) a lot of it is trial and error as you find out what is best for you. If you have had good results with an antagonist cycle, I'd be tempted to try that again. For myself, I've had better results with flare cycles (agonist cycles but you start stims and suppression both on CD2) and with low-stim cycles (where they give you minimal stims with idea of coaxing out 2-4 good follicles instead of poorer quality eggs with more stims). Other ladies here have had had success with higher stim cycles.

I would suggest getting second (and third and 4th) opinions from a range of doctors, and don't only ask them what they recommend, ask them why they think that protocol is best for you. I've done that and googled their rationales in the past and that helps me know whether it was a gamble worth taking if it doesn't work. For example, my Dr suggested Luveris on 2 cycles and I read a lot after talking to him about why it helps oocyte maturity. So although it was a disaster for me (1 embryo from 20 follicles over 2 different cycles) I don't feel so "ripped off" by the failures (although obviously they were devastating) because I could see lots of literature support for what he was trying to do.

Sorry there isn't one real answer. I'm sure others will chime in. I haven't had endo so what's worked for me won't necessarily have worked for you, but doing lots of searching and discussions up front helps - in my experience - to know what your options are and make a rational choice....vs just going with what one doctor tells you.

Good luck

al
thanks, al.

September 30th, 2011, 2:37 am #7

your body reacts differently in each month. The truth is, nobody knows (the honest doctors will tell you they don't know), and the only way to find out is to try different protocols yourself. It is a very expensive trial and error process and you just have to be patient.

I had the exact same protocols as you for the first two times, and very similar results. MDL is supposed to be the best for older women with DOR but it was a disaster for me. So you see, you never know until you try it out yourself.
thanks!

September 30th, 2011, 2:38 am #8

So sorry you are dealing with this.

Did you see MIR's post below?

Might want to look at that article.
http://infertile.com/inthenew/sci/2010- ... ni-IVF.htm

Good luck--I hope you find the right protocol soon. And maybe the one in the freezer is all you need!

Hang in there,
Oz
thanks for the support.

September 30th, 2011, 2:39 am #9

I think most clinics consider both the MDL or micro-dose Lupron protocol and EPP..or estrogen priming protocols to be the protocols of last resort for those os us that are AMA, DOR etc. I have done well with EPP and many others have too. This protocol however does suppress some though. If I were you, I would start looking into trying EPP and MDL. Good luck.
thanks to you, i asked RE about mdl. pls see new post.

October 4th, 2011, 11:34 pm #10

Hi everyone,

FWIW, in case it's useful to you or anyone ... and bearing in mind I'm not a dr, just a patient who likes to know ALL the details.

http://infertilityinfo.co.nz/what-seems ... n-over-40/
http://infertilityinfo.co.nz/ivf-option ... esponders/
http://infertilityinfo.co.nz/conflictin ... hos-right/

Good luck!!
Kiwichick

dx high FSH at age 38, lucky fluke soon after via IUI (DD)
ttc#2 age 40-42, 7IVFs, herbs/acu, about 5 chem pgs & m/c
lucky on IVF#7 at age 42 (GG twins)
they're now 7 and 3.5 x 2

Confirmation of reply: