New plan

New plan

Antonialisa
Antonialisa

October 23rd, 2011, 7:29 am #1

It feels good to check in to the Board. I just couldn't stay away despite being abroad. I see some great progress going on!

My news is that my DH and I had a phone consult with Dr. Bra.sile at Cooper just before I left for my trip.

She urged us to move to IVF at this point, like several of you on the Board did. She confirmed that estinyl is working really well for me and that it doesn't always help high fshers, but since it is giving me a really good AFC we should capitlize on that right now.

She also said we can do some stims with TI next cycle as a trial run and see how my body reacts to them. Is there any downside to this? I think it seems like a good idea.

I mentioned immune issues but she sort of blew it off, saying there is insufficient research, no effective way to treat it even if it did exist, etc. Help! I know some are receiving treatment for this. Are there tests my regular ob/gyn here in Canada can do for this?

Also, is there any reason that Cooper is not a good place to do IVF? I know the stats are not the best but I also know that they will take anybody including the most impossible cases.

All in all, I'm happy I have a new plan.

October 23rd, 2011, 7:51 am #2

People with good AFC should go for conventional IVF, go to Cornell or CCRM, ORM etc.

If you have immune issues, you should definitely treat this first, because honestly if you are going to sink $10k+ into each cycle, there is no reason why you should not get yourself into the best shape possible.

Below are the panels of specialty immunity blood tests that I had to go through with one of my REs.
http://rosalindfranklin.edu/DNN/LinkCli ... tabid=1311

The total cost is about $1900, but your insurance may pick up some of it. Mine picked up the whole tab.

BabyDance
BabyDance

October 23rd, 2011, 1:20 pm #3

It feels good to check in to the Board. I just couldn't stay away despite being abroad. I see some great progress going on!

My news is that my DH and I had a phone consult with Dr. Bra.sile at Cooper just before I left for my trip.

She urged us to move to IVF at this point, like several of you on the Board did. She confirmed that estinyl is working really well for me and that it doesn't always help high fshers, but since it is giving me a really good AFC we should capitlize on that right now.

She also said we can do some stims with TI next cycle as a trial run and see how my body reacts to them. Is there any downside to this? I think it seems like a good idea.

I mentioned immune issues but she sort of blew it off, saying there is insufficient research, no effective way to treat it even if it did exist, etc. Help! I know some are receiving treatment for this. Are there tests my regular ob/gyn here in Canada can do for this?

Also, is there any reason that Cooper is not a good place to do IVF? I know the stats are not the best but I also know that they will take anybody including the most impossible cases.

All in all, I'm happy I have a new plan.
It's very tough not seeing a doctor at all through your treatment, I'm skeptical whether this is really helpful, after 2 IVF's with them, if you are a complicated case. What is your AFC again? At 41, Check had zero success in 2010. It's not low, it's NONE. I'm not sure it's the best place to go for IVF, however, it would be a good idea to do a stim TI with them to see how you do, for that, he's the master, and maybe you won't need IVF. I'd do that and look for an IVF doc in the meantime. One who will tailor your care as you go along.

Antonialisa
Antonialisa

October 23rd, 2011, 1:31 pm #4

People with good AFC should go for conventional IVF, go to Cornell or CCRM, ORM etc.

If you have immune issues, you should definitely treat this first, because honestly if you are going to sink $10k+ into each cycle, there is no reason why you should not get yourself into the best shape possible.

Below are the panels of specialty immunity blood tests that I had to go through with one of my REs.
http://rosalindfranklin.edu/DNN/LinkCli ... tabid=1311

The total cost is about $1900, but your insurance may pick up some of it. Mine picked up the whole tab.
You're up late! Hope you are sleeping okay. Thanks so much for info on immune issues. That's quite an impressive list. I will definitely follow up with my local doctor.

Even though the estinyl has improved my AFC to 8 or 9 every month (it was down to 1 or 2 in one ovary and 0 in the other before starting the treatment) I am 41 and a high FSHer (FSH in the 30s and probably 40s now without treatment) so I'm very, very leery of high stims. My gut tells me low to medium is best. I've been TTC for 2 years, so I'm worried about egg quality issues, and I believe that I need to see a high FSH friendly physician who won't use a cookie cutter approach then tell me I'm a poor responder. Which FSH friendly doctors come recommended? Unfortunately, cost is a factor since we are not insured for IVF, and Cooper, besides being a lot cheaper, lets us do our monitoring at home (which is free in Canada).

Thanks again.

Antonialisa
Antonialisa

October 23rd, 2011, 1:43 pm #5

It's very tough not seeing a doctor at all through your treatment, I'm skeptical whether this is really helpful, after 2 IVF's with them, if you are a complicated case. What is your AFC again? At 41, Check had zero success in 2010. It's not low, it's NONE. I'm not sure it's the best place to go for IVF, however, it would be a good idea to do a stim TI with them to see how you do, for that, he's the master, and maybe you won't need IVF. I'd do that and look for an IVF doc in the meantime. One who will tailor your care as you go along.
I just looked at the Cooper SART stats and they are very sobering for a woman my age (AFC around 8-9) Any other recommendations? I don't trust our local fertility clinic.

BabyDance
BabyDance

October 23rd, 2011, 1:49 pm #6

you have a good shot! I take it you've been trying naturally for a while? Where do you live? And what is your FSH? Since I've been everywhere with worse stats, I could give you a decent idea...

Antonialisa
Antonialisa

October 23rd, 2011, 2:00 pm #7

Thanks, BD.

I'm 41 and a few months.
Highest recorded FSH: 34
AFC without estinyl: 1-2
AFC with estinyl: 8-9

I live in Canada. Have never heard of a high FSH frienly Dr. here. Would have to drive or fly to US. My insurance covers drugs, but not IVF. Monitoring is covered by the Cdn public medical system if we do it here. I don't have lots of money, and a somewhat reluctant DH with a low appetite for repeat IVFs.

BabyDance
BabyDance

October 23rd, 2011, 2:15 pm #8

But there is someone in Canada.. in Toronto, I thought... maybe ask on the white board... Check gave you the estinyl? That is an amazing response to estinyl. Don't want to totally discourage you from going to Check for IVF, but there may be someone close that could do better. Post on the white board for Canadian High FSH doc... I will try to help you. I'm very happy with Dr. T here in NY. I personally think with FSH 34, no matter what your AFC count is, you aren't going to be treated well or do well with Cornell, IMHO, or NYU for that matter.

Antonialisa
Antonialisa

October 23rd, 2011, 2:23 pm #9

OK thanks so much. I'Ll try the whiteboard and see if I can find a high fsh Dr. in Toronto. It's easier there. I can stay with friends or family there and its only a few hours away.

Who is Dr. T? Does he do phone consults? NY is closer to me than Philadelphia or Marlton.

BabyDance
BabyDance

October 23rd, 2011, 2:34 pm #10

Ok, good luck, keep us posted. I think Dr. T does phone consults. He is not so concerned with FSH. The least of any doc I've been to. He is from SIRM which is a chain of clinics run by Dr. Sher. But he runs the show in NY.

Confirmation of reply: