My worry on the New Hope ripple effect

My worry on the New Hope ripple effect

February 1st, 2012, 6:44 pm #1

My clinic is hiking price (think 50% hike) because they are the only operation on West Coast competing with New Hope. Luckily I have already locked in a 12-cycle pricing prior to that and now I am planning to commit more cycles before price hike takes effect.

New Hope is sort of a leading clinic in this area, and if New Hope takes away the pricing pressure of $8400 for 3 cycles, I am afraid that the other competing clinics will hike their price as well, which is a common practice. I am more worried about the ripple effect on other similar practices which see their biggest competitor's pricing hike as a way to reap in more money for themselves.

If any of you are planning on a longer-term banking, it is better to lock down a contract right now.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

February 1st, 2012, 6:51 pm #2

That's a really good point. I know that when Dr. T told me about the 3-cycle plan EZ-IVF last year, he specifically mentioned that the pricing was designed to be competitive with New Hope. I would not be surprised if they followed suit..I know I would. I woudl lock down pricing at similar clinics NOW too if I were at all interested.

February 1st, 2012, 6:53 pm #3

if you don't decide to proceed with the three cycles? I don't mind paying up front, but don't really know if I am up to doing 3 more cycles. I wouldn't want to pay it all up front and then decide I didn't want to continue.

B.
B.

February 1st, 2012, 6:56 pm #4

My clinic is hiking price (think 50% hike) because they are the only operation on West Coast competing with New Hope. Luckily I have already locked in a 12-cycle pricing prior to that and now I am planning to commit more cycles before price hike takes effect.

New Hope is sort of a leading clinic in this area, and if New Hope takes away the pricing pressure of $8400 for 3 cycles, I am afraid that the other competing clinics will hike their price as well, which is a common practice. I am more worried about the ripple effect on other similar practices which see their biggest competitor's pricing hike as a way to reap in more money for themselves.

If any of you are planning on a longer-term banking, it is better to lock down a contract right now.
okay this might not be likely - but what is it that Zhang has that other clinics would not be able to do? Is it vitrification?

Other than vitrification, is there anything that they do that other clinics could not be talked into doing? For example, Dr. Check does do slow freezing, right? Would it be possible to do a cycle with Dr. Check that is the same as a Zhang cycle?

Also - 12 CYCLES? Does that mean a year of collecting eggs naturally once a month and banking them?

Should I look through the archives to understand more about your protocol because I don't mean to be asking things you've already explained, I just didn't happen to keep track of this. THANKS.

And of course, GOOD LUCK!

February 1st, 2012, 6:57 pm #5

if you don't decide to proceed with the three cycles? I don't mind paying up front, but don't really know if I am up to doing 3 more cycles. I wouldn't want to pay it all up front and then decide I didn't want to continue.
I didn't have to prepay all cycles up front. I only need to make payment at the beginning of the cycle, regardless of when that cycle starts (it could be a year or two from now).

Here is my thinking on this entire issue.

I have a budget for this baby pursuit "project". Unlike some of you, DE is not an option for me and nor is adoption, so I don't need to save money for the latter. I allocate all my budget to this effort. So I say, this is the most I can afford at this price, and if I use it all and get no baby, that is god's will and I am fine with it, but I have done everything in my power and I have no regrets in my life on my death bed.

If I achieve a live birth before my commitment expires, I will donate the cycles to those who need them as a way of "giving back". And I stay within my budget regardless of the outcome.

B.
B.

February 1st, 2012, 6:58 pm #6

okay this might not be likely - but what is it that Zhang has that other clinics would not be able to do? Is it vitrification?

Other than vitrification, is there anything that they do that other clinics could not be talked into doing? For example, Dr. Check does do slow freezing, right? Would it be possible to do a cycle with Dr. Check that is the same as a Zhang cycle?

Also - 12 CYCLES? Does that mean a year of collecting eggs naturally once a month and banking them?

Should I look through the archives to understand more about your protocol because I don't mean to be asking things you've already explained, I just didn't happen to keep track of this. THANKS.

I said collecting eggs for a year and banking them but I meant banking any embryos that make it. Didn't Zhang only bank embryos that made it to blasts? That's what I read before.

February 1st, 2012, 6:59 pm #7

That is why it is hard to replicate. If you are banking, you have to go to a facility with vitrification.

February 1st, 2012, 7:01 pm #8

I said collecting eggs for a year and banking them but I meant banking any embryos that make it. Didn't Zhang only bank embryos that made it to blasts? That's what I read before.
I explained my philosophy of banking so many cycles above.

Statistically speaking, it will take about 10-12 cycles to achieve a live birth for my age group.

B.
B.

February 1st, 2012, 7:01 pm #9

That is why it is hard to replicate. If you are banking, you have to go to a facility with vitrification.
I don't understand. I know vitrification has been all the rage for awhile but slow-freezing works too - isn't that true? I mean, Dr. Check wouldn't be using it otherwise, would he?

B.
B.

February 1st, 2012, 7:03 pm #10

I explained my philosophy of banking so many cycles above.

Statistically speaking, it will take about 10-12 cycles to achieve a live birth for my age group.
nt

Confirmation of reply: