Mississippi Initiative 26 did not pass (child ment)

Mississippi Initiative 26 did not pass (child ment)

PhoebeMass
PhoebeMass

November 9th, 2011, 2:52 pm #1

After 6 IUI's and 2 IVF's - and 1 DD to show for it - I believe in my ability to make the right, thoughtful, heartfelt choices for myself. Rather be governed by others' faith and beliefs. I am so pleased that Initiative 26 did not pass. Had that been the law here in Mass 3 years ago we would not have our DD.

I can appreciative the perspective of others on this matter but will continue to uphold my beliefs and my faith. I was so afraid that this initiative would pass and create a national domino effect. I'm holding my breath that it does not.

Not everyone is a Duggar.

BabyDance
BabyDance

November 9th, 2011, 4:26 pm #2

I've been thinking about this a lot. Anyone whose had a failed IVF knows - life does not begin at conception.

K
K

November 9th, 2011, 5:22 pm #3

After 6 IUI's and 2 IVF's - and 1 DD to show for it - I believe in my ability to make the right, thoughtful, heartfelt choices for myself. Rather be governed by others' faith and beliefs. I am so pleased that Initiative 26 did not pass. Had that been the law here in Mass 3 years ago we would not have our DD.

I can appreciative the perspective of others on this matter but will continue to uphold my beliefs and my faith. I was so afraid that this initiative would pass and create a national domino effect. I'm holding my breath that it does not.

the good news is that it did not pass. But the bad news is, they will keep trying.

November 9th, 2011, 9:28 pm #4

No offense to those who are from Mississippi, a state with the highest poverty rate, the highest teenager pregnancy rate, the highest illiteracy rate, one of the highest crime rates, etc (and the list goes on and on, you get the idea), it has absolutely no role in history in leading a tide of whatever social trend.

The people who are left in the state have such a brain size that amidst a survival crisis, all their mind can deal with is whether life starts at conception - and obviously those who even think of this topic as debatable never finished their high school biology. Well, not a surprise in a state with the lowest high school graduation rate.
Last edited by miraclex2 on November 9th, 2011, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anne
anne

November 9th, 2011, 10:10 pm #5

you've probably never even been there. they just have their beliefs just like you. their ultimate goal was to have the supreme court revisit rowe vs. wade.

i fail to see how they can be so awfully stupid as you say and then do the thing that you agree with.

not trying to be down on you, but mississippi is a lovely state and has lovely people living in it.

cbsgirl
cbsgirl

November 9th, 2011, 10:33 pm #6

No offense to those who are from Mississippi, a state with the highest poverty rate, the highest teenager pregnancy rate, the highest illiteracy rate, one of the highest crime rates, etc (and the list goes on and on, you get the idea), it has absolutely no role in history in leading a tide of whatever social trend.

The people who are left in the state have such a brain size that amidst a survival crisis, all their mind can deal with is whether life starts at conception - and obviously those who even think of this topic as debatable never finished their high school biology. Well, not a surprise in a state with the lowest high school graduation rate.
You may view the state as ignorant, impoverished, and crime ridden. Maybe it is. But, the mandate's effect goes far beyond what you perceive about the state from a purely social level. While MS may not be a trend setter in the right direction for a lot of things, I can pretty much assure you that it will set a precedent that other Southern states will follow in this area. Where it goes from there, who knows.

No offense intended here, but you are obviously not a Southerner and don't "get it." Pass judgement where you better understand the whole story.

November 9th, 2011, 10:52 pm #7

you've probably never even been there. they just have their beliefs just like you. their ultimate goal was to have the supreme court revisit rowe vs. wade.

i fail to see how they can be so awfully stupid as you say and then do the thing that you agree with.

not trying to be down on you, but mississippi is a lovely state and has lovely people living in it.
Not a good memory. Many places looked like a third world country to me.

November 9th, 2011, 11:05 pm #8

I'm a Tennessean. I once lived 2 miles from Mississippi. Am I an idiot redneck because I am a southerner who believes life begins at conception? Btw- I have a college and a law degree. I guess I need to be educated by the liberal elite on the West Coast and Northeast because they have definitive proof of when life begins. See- how does that feel to be put in a category based on where you live? How does it feel to be judged like that?

And by the way- it didnt pass in an extremely conservative state because the people werent idiots. Maybe these " overweight idiot rednecks" understood what effect it would have on fertility medicine. Or maybe they realized it would be pre-empted by federal law anyways.

Even though I believe that life begins at conception and wouldn't have destroyed my own embryos, I wouldnt have supported any measure because I dont want governmental intervention in fertility medicine.

PhoebeMass
PhoebeMass

November 9th, 2011, 11:40 pm #9

Just pleased that as an IVF'er that I had the option and I hope this option continues for all women that need assistance.

I do think that there is a momentum that has been created by this initiative and it scares me to think of where this will all go. There was not a wide margin in the votes.

Again, my apologies. I didn't imagine that this conversation would go this way.

cbsgirl
cbsgirl

November 9th, 2011, 11:46 pm #10

Not a good memory. Many places looked like a third world country to me.
You just keep putting fuel on the fire!! Your ignorance is unbelievable.

Confirmation of reply: