Lupron question (xpost)

Lupron question (xpost)

August 5th, 2011, 2:07 am #1

Hi, Ladies. I'm on my first night of Lupron for my prep cycle. Now, my clinic (and my pharmacy) told me that there is some kind of lupron shortage or something and that I might get something that's compounded or something. I don't remember (bad.listener).

Anyway, in my clinic instructions, it clearly says REFRIGERATE your lupron after opening it.

However, the Leuprolide Acetate I have from Freedom Fertility pharmacy says NOTHING about refrigeration. It clearly says to store it at 68-77 degrees, with "excursions" allowed down to 59 degrees. Mentions NOTHING about doing anything differently once opened.

Anyone have any information about this at all? Any advice? The pharmacy is, of course, closed...so no help there. I will go look on their website to see if they say anything.

Thanks!

Melissa

August 5th, 2011, 1:23 pm #2

I know I refrigerated my original lupron vial when I did a Lupron STOP protocol. There was a little bit left over and I kept it in the fridge. Then I ended up using it literally years later (a long story) and it was still potent.

So, hopefully someone else can chime in. I'm a little concerned about the instructions from Freedom. That sounds like you shouldn't put it in the fridge.

Is yours a vial of liquid? Or is it a powder to be reconstituted? I had never seen anything but the vial of liquid, but I was looking online and saw some references to powder. So, I don't know if things have changed since I got my last lupron.

I hope you can contact the pharmacy soon.

Melissa
Melissa

August 5th, 2011, 1:40 pm #3

It's a liquid, and the pharmacy did say to refrigerate it after piercing the lid for the first use.

Thank you :>

M

SMRC
SMRC

August 5th, 2011, 7:33 pm #4

Hi, Ladies. I'm on my first night of Lupron for my prep cycle. Now, my clinic (and my pharmacy) told me that there is some kind of lupron shortage or something and that I might get something that's compounded or something. I don't remember (bad.listener).

Anyway, in my clinic instructions, it clearly says REFRIGERATE your lupron after opening it.

However, the Leuprolide Acetate I have from Freedom Fertility pharmacy says NOTHING about refrigeration. It clearly says to store it at 68-77 degrees, with "excursions" allowed down to 59 degrees. Mentions NOTHING about doing anything differently once opened.

Anyone have any information about this at all? Any advice? The pharmacy is, of course, closed...so no help there. I will go look on their website to see if they say anything.

Thanks!

Melissa
CRMI also told me about a month ago that there was a shortage of lupron generally around the country (and they were making it in compounded form as a solution), although when I ordered mine this week, the nurse said that the shortage problem had been fixed to a large extent. My lupron has been sitting in my office for 1 day with no refrigeration (it arrived while I was traveling for work) so sounds like I should be getting home ASAP and sticking it in the fridge! SMRC

ALM
ALM

August 5th, 2011, 10:33 pm #5

Thanks!

Melissa
compounded (b/c of shortage - basically means the pharmacy makes it there). It was with an ice pack and said refrigerate immediately. Put it in the refrigerator! And let me know the effect it has on you. The stuff nearly drove me nuts, seriously. I should have been cut off from humanity until the protocol was over.

Hopefully you'll have better luck. Good Luck!!

August 6th, 2011, 2:43 am #6

Thanks!

Melissa
My compounded package from Mandell's says in caps on box "refrigerate after first use". My RE confirmed this and said refrigeration is to prevent bacteria (once punctured) not effectiveness. Fridge can't hurt though! Don't worry!

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

August 6th, 2011, 1:26 pm #7

Got mine from Freedom and it was not on ice and there were no instructions to refrigerate. I have always kept it out of the fridge and only refrigerate upon opening. Actually...the first time I used it..I did not refrigerate it at all for days even after opening because I didn't know any better. It worked fine just the same.

Molly
Molly

August 7th, 2011, 1:55 am #8

Thanks!

Melissa
Hello,

I got mine from village and it said nothing about refrigeration. This was earlier this year - I called and asked about it and then asked MD. Both said no need to refrigerate but if we were in a "heat wave" we should and basically a house would be ok "but not a hot car."

M

Confirmation of reply: