kim - how are you?

kim - how are you?

BroodyHen
BroodyHen

August 1st, 2012, 3:10 pm #1

hi kim.
just checking in to see how your testing went with the b.eer center and if you were able to get your consult with dr. st.ricker yet? i'm thinking of you and hoping things are going well...

Kim
Kim

August 1st, 2012, 3:54 pm #2

More importantly, how are you and the little bean? Hope you are both doing well!!

Thanks for asking, and I have my appt. scheduled with Dr. Stri.cker this Friday. The one rep, Da.na, was so nice, as I explained our rush due to age and IVF, and she called me back on Monday to push up the appt. date to this Friday vs. 2 weeks from then due to a cancellation and given they rec'd all but one bw result.

She copied me on the bw results, but nothing really to earth shattering, but I am not an expert and noticed a couple of positives but not for MTHFR or anything (or so I think). I do have a very low t-cell count (think the report said 13 when the min. should be 50%) - so not sure is that is because of supplements (like taking fish oil or??)- do you know? Think I test positive for some kind of histone and a 4G allelle? I'm not a biology major or endocrinologist, so not sure what these are?

Also, my FSH on day 7 of my cycle was only 4.8 - seems low, no? My TSH was higher at 4.4 something. Based on these stats, concerned that I might be pumping out more than one follicle with loads of E2 with a low FSH and high TSH. My concern would be that my follicles may not be maturing sufficiently, etc. if low FSH is being split between more than one follicle? The only reason for higher TSH is higher E2 levels. I had my TSH levels checked on my own back when I was doing a low stim TI cycle at Dr. C office in Jan this year. I went on day that I had my E2 levels checked at 900+ and my TSH levels were high (at 4.5+) but I know this is b/c of the high E2 levels. I had my TSH re-checked by another lab at another time (think during the LP) and my TSH was only 2.2+. I'll have to ask Friday about the low FSH and higher TSH! I also read that FSH drops closer to O and I did surge about 2.5 days after this blood draw so maybe that is the reason for the low FSH?

Also, I convinced my DH to wait one more cycle, but it is so hard to wait out yet another cycle! I just want to hear what Dr. S has to say on the bw results before going into another cycle. Thankfully my cycles are short enough that I could start another cycle in late August if needed. I really wanted to line up Dr. S for TTC naturally too if the IVF stuff does not work out.

I will also ask Dr. S about testing positive for Strep B back in last Dec. I will see if he will prescribe the doxy and climycin (sp? - have it written down somewhere) for me and my DH. Did you have your DH take the same dosage as you and same antibiotics to get rid of the strep B? I read that the strep B comes back right away - like hours from when you stop taking the antibiotics since it hides in places in your body from the antibiotics - but I figure if you give it a good wallop, then it will not be so strong! What does Dr. S think of Strep B?? Thanks again for asking and sorry for the long post!

Kim
Kim

August 1st, 2012, 4:05 pm #3

Al.an Bee.r testing is due to my asthma, which is a hyper immune system I think, but then I had low T Cells - what gives? So confused at this point! Maybe the inhaler (Pul.ma.cort) I'm taking (corsteroids) are impacting things...who knows?

BroodyHen
BroodyHen

August 2nd, 2012, 4:17 pm #4

More importantly, how are you and the little bean? Hope you are both doing well!!

Thanks for asking, and I have my appt. scheduled with Dr. Stri.cker this Friday. The one rep, Da.na, was so nice, as I explained our rush due to age and IVF, and she called me back on Monday to push up the appt. date to this Friday vs. 2 weeks from then due to a cancellation and given they rec'd all but one bw result.

She copied me on the bw results, but nothing really to earth shattering, but I am not an expert and noticed a couple of positives but not for MTHFR or anything (or so I think). I do have a very low t-cell count (think the report said 13 when the min. should be 50%) - so not sure is that is because of supplements (like taking fish oil or??)- do you know? Think I test positive for some kind of histone and a 4G allelle? I'm not a biology major or endocrinologist, so not sure what these are?

Also, my FSH on day 7 of my cycle was only 4.8 - seems low, no? My TSH was higher at 4.4 something. Based on these stats, concerned that I might be pumping out more than one follicle with loads of E2 with a low FSH and high TSH. My concern would be that my follicles may not be maturing sufficiently, etc. if low FSH is being split between more than one follicle? The only reason for higher TSH is higher E2 levels. I had my TSH levels checked on my own back when I was doing a low stim TI cycle at Dr. C office in Jan this year. I went on day that I had my E2 levels checked at 900+ and my TSH levels were high (at 4.5+) but I know this is b/c of the high E2 levels. I had my TSH re-checked by another lab at another time (think during the LP) and my TSH was only 2.2+. I'll have to ask Friday about the low FSH and higher TSH! I also read that FSH drops closer to O and I did surge about 2.5 days after this blood draw so maybe that is the reason for the low FSH?

Also, I convinced my DH to wait one more cycle, but it is so hard to wait out yet another cycle! I just want to hear what Dr. S has to say on the bw results before going into another cycle. Thankfully my cycles are short enough that I could start another cycle in late August if needed. I really wanted to line up Dr. S for TTC naturally too if the IVF stuff does not work out.

I will also ask Dr. S about testing positive for Strep B back in last Dec. I will see if he will prescribe the doxy and climycin (sp? - have it written down somewhere) for me and my DH. Did you have your DH take the same dosage as you and same antibiotics to get rid of the strep B? I read that the strep B comes back right away - like hours from when you stop taking the antibiotics since it hides in places in your body from the antibiotics - but I figure if you give it a good wallop, then it will not be so strong! What does Dr. S think of Strep B?? Thanks again for asking and sorry for the long post!

i'm doing pretty well, thanks. already at 12 weeks! hanging in there and trying to stay relaxed about it all...

so, i don't know anything about the 4G allele. i also don't know what the treatment is for the low t-cells. i guess you'll find out tomorrow...! i believe they like your TSH to be under 2, so yours is looking pretty high and they'll put you on synthroid. i'm on it and its been no big deal for me. interesting about a possible relationship between TSH, FSH, and E2. i have no idea.

i didn't talk to st.ricker about group b. it wasn't in my mind when i was doing the immune testing. but later, when i started to think it might be a factor, i called his office and asked if he would prescribe antibiotics for me. he said no - he doesn't seem to believe in it and wouldn't do it. i was disappointed, i know he knows dr. t.oth and they have a lot of patients in common. and yes, ultimately DH and i took the same courses of antibiotics together to prevent the possibility of spreading anything back and forth. anyway, i would definitely ask him and i'm interested in what he has to say.

i know how hard it is to wait out a cycle, but just remember that the treatment will hopefully increase your odds, so its worth the wait.

i should forewarn you that st.ricker is pretty no-nonsense and almost comes across as rude and uncaring. he kinda rushed me a little during our 1 hour consult, and i had to stand firm -- i paid for an hour i was going to use it! good luck with the consult and keep us posted...

Kim
Kim

August 2nd, 2012, 4:26 pm #5

So glad you and the LO are hanging in there!!! Are you doing any genetic testing (CVS or amnio)? If the u/s measurements look good, maybe not? Thinking of you and hope all goes well for you! Is your DH over the moon too? I think DH's can take or leave having a second one.

Thanks for the info about Dr. S. I feel bad that he does not believe in the strep B stuff! I kind of am on the fence about it too. Not sure it really impacts pregnancy all that much as I've seen woman lucky and have mycoplasma, etc. so not sure about it but ask Dr. S anyhow about it. I'm more interested in what he says since I'm not sure if there is really any issue? Is a 4.5 TSH level considered high? It was in the normal range - up to 5 I think is fine, but I've read 1-2 TSH level is desired for TTC. What was your TSH level?

Kim
Kim

August 3rd, 2012, 4:59 pm #6

Had positive for genetic clotting factors (not MTHFR but the PAI-1 Locus 4G/5G - I have two mutations associated with excess clotting), and my Anti-histone Abs level was high indicating imm.une issues...and C56 NK cells is a little high in the bloodstream at 13% (although the en.do bi.opsy showed a normal level of NK cells) but IVIG treatment would knock it down to 9% in the blood stream (I think that is what he was saying?). For the clotting he said love.nox. Also said dexam.ethasone for the immune issues. He said that even though hormone clotting tests did not show a positive, the genetics are there for clotting and could be a factor, so they go by the genetic since hormone levels fluctuate (I think that is what he was getting at).

My TSH is high and should not fluctuate that much during a cycle, so he said I need synth.yroid to bring it down to 1.5 level rather than the 4.5. 1.5 is the level they recommend for TTC and pregnancy.

He said I can do the IVIG, love.nox, and dexam.etha.sone for my IVF cycle next month. Plus will try to start the synthy.roid at 15mcg to see if my TSH levels come down...he said I might need more than this amount but would like to start out at the lowest dose.

Of course, as always, the docs bring up the age factor in our success - and like always, I say, yes we know! He did say I tested negative for ovar.ian antib.odies so that means the egg qual.ity is not impacted by this (meaning nothing attacking the ovaries). I did not mention that I've seen higher FSH before for myself, but I really think the ubiquinol has helped too (was happy with the very low FSH this last cycle). I'm thankful the ovar.ian antib.odies test was negative - yahoo!

Thanks again broodyhen for your suggestions, and now I have my steroi.ds and love.nox for my IVF!!! I can also go to my local practitioner and ask for it if needed since I have backup for it now.

I have some leftover doxy that I might take around the ER and ET time this time out too just to clear any infections/bacteria around this time so nothing gets transferred!! Going to ask my RE for femera cycle to go along with this last IVF!

BroodyHen
BroodyHen

August 9th, 2012, 11:08 pm #7

hi kim.
glad you finally got some answers and some drugs
the lovenox and steroids seem to help a lot of people. IVIG, too. the gal i last spoke to at the b.eer center says they think IVIG is a miracle drug. i'm going to do an extra IVIG before my amnio in a couple of weeks.

i'm thinking that your synthroid is too low. are you sure your dose is 15mcg? they started me on 50mcg and my numbers were much lower than 4.5, i think i was around 2.8. they retest your TSH regularly and tweak your dosage. i've changed twice since pregnant.

i took antibiotics and femara on my successful cycle, so i hope they work for you, too.

so exciting that st.ricker has cleared you to cycle next month with the new treatments. moving forward with a plan - i love it!

can't wait to read your updates. i'm really rooting for you

Confirmation of reply: