HSG test - can I ttc in same month?

HSG test - can I ttc in same month?

January 5th, 2012, 9:11 pm #1

Hello
I am booked in for an HSG test next Tuesday on what will be CD 8. The hospital are advising not to ttc in same month, which is making me panic a bit that I will miss this one. Has anyone got any advice on this issue? Are they being super cautious? It's okay if you are younger missing a month, but when you are older and have the high fsh dx it feels like playing the lottery every month and risking your numbers coming up in the one month you dont play!

January 5th, 2012, 10:25 pm #2

some recently posted about this but you should be able to TTC on the month you have a HSG (particularly since the test is done before O). I know I did. The test is known to boost fertility in some (because the tubes are open and clear?) so many people try to take advantage of this.

You should at least ask for the medical reason behind why they are telling you not to TTC that same cycle?

GL.

SMRC

January 5th, 2012, 10:26 pm #3

Hello
I am booked in for an HSG test next Tuesday on what will be CD 8. The hospital are advising not to ttc in same month, which is making me panic a bit that I will miss this one. Has anyone got any advice on this issue? Are they being super cautious? It's okay if you are younger missing a month, but when you are older and have the high fsh dx it feels like playing the lottery every month and risking your numbers coming up in the one month you dont play!
I actually know several women who got pg. the same cycle as their HSG test. I actually got pg. the cycle after mine, but unfortunetely it was ectopic. The HSG had opened my left tube just enough for sperm to get through....but the embie stuck. But it reallly does up your chances. Good luck!! Be sure to take 4 advil before, check with your DR., but I found that helped the cramping.

xoxo, Tracy

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

January 5th, 2012, 10:27 pm #4

Hello
Many people have gotten their BFP's the cycle they did their HSG. I personally got pregnant for the first time the very next cycle after my HSG..albeit a chemical. The pipes will have been cleaned so to speak!! Good luck.

bettygrace
bettygrace

January 5th, 2012, 11:02 pm #5

Hello
Thanks for this advice. What felt originally like a disadvantage, may perhaps be a small advantage then?! Why do you think that the leaflet they have sent me says you should not ttc in the same month, and the technician I checked with when I booked in said the same?
Any ideas for this apparent contradiction?

Tracy
Tracy

January 5th, 2012, 11:16 pm #6

They are most concerned about interupting a pregnancy by doing the HSG, but they do a urine pg. test right before and as you know, you are supposed to schedule it before O. Not sure why there would be any problem trying after the proceedure.

xoxo, Tracy

bettygrace
bettygrace

January 5th, 2012, 11:30 pm #7

Having had all of your positive endorcements I am going to ask more questions about this, and I'll post what I find out for the records then!! Thanks in the meantime for all your advice and responses. It's so nice to feel like I have a family of expert supporters out there!!

January 5th, 2012, 11:53 pm #8

Hello
I actually planned my test early in the cycle like day 5 to make sure I had enough time to ovulate, which sometimes happened pretty early like day 11. I was told it was perfectly fine to try and conceive that month.

I think it would only be a problem if you ovulated the same day as the test. And you wouldn't want to take the test after you ovulate either.

Good luck!

Anon
Anon

January 6th, 2012, 1:34 am #9

Hello
Believe it or not, I've heard of people using sex post HSG as a way to help conception ... everything is sort of opened up. Best wishes.

bettygrace
bettygrace

January 6th, 2012, 1:02 pm #10

So I contacted the hospital today to get more information on this question. Having gone away to discuss, they called me back and still are sticking to their advice saying not to ttc in this month. Their reasons are that the radication carries a small risk to a pregancy conceived in same month and that there is no information on what the dye could do to the pregnancy either - that both this and the radiation remains for that month.
I am still reading info that having the test increases your chances, albeit by a very small ammount in the few months following the test, but its very contradictory if you should risk it in the same month.
It feels hard to go against medical advice, and also very hard to miss this cycle for a test that neither me or my doctor thinks is going to show up a problem. Very confused.

Confirmation of reply: