Had an SHG today and didnt even realize it

Had an SHG today and didnt even realize it

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

August 10th, 2011, 11:36 pm #1

I think I'm taking this break thing too far. My brain must be fried. My Dr's office told me last week I had to do a "saline u/s" among other things before they can submit the paperwork to get my next IVF cycle approved by my insurance carrier. It never occurred to me that I was getting an SHG until I was laid out on the table....ay,yay, yay...it was painful!! Far worse than an HSG. I also bled quite a bit. Dr. T is on vacation so the Dr that did it explained that Dr T wanted it done just to make sure everything was okay re: fibroids, polyps etc. All was well but I was unprepared for the pain and cramping that followed. I had to take the rest of the day off. I really think I'm losing it....I know full well what an SHG is yet did not connect the dots when told I was going to have to do a "saline u/s"...I even complained about it!!! I wish I had realized what I was going to be doing so that I could have taken some pain meds and planned to be out the rest of the day.

BabyDance
BabyDance

August 10th, 2011, 11:57 pm #2

Not a saline US (which is painless)?? And not and HSG? What is SHG?? Sorry it hurt, but it is over!! Stinks. Feel better. xoxxo BD

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

August 11th, 2011, 12:04 am #3

It is also called an SHG - when I came home I read that it is also called a saline u/s....the place saline in your uterus and then do a guided u/s.

BabyDance
BabyDance

August 11th, 2011, 12:17 am #4

I had this done a while ago, but it wasn't painful at all. Sorry to hear. xoxo BD

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

August 11th, 2011, 12:25 am #5

I hate to say it...it could have been the Dr...or my biology....she had trouble with the catheter. I was shocked by the amount of blood lost during the procedure.

August 11th, 2011, 12:30 am #6

I think I'm taking this break thing too far. My brain must be fried. My Dr's office told me last week I had to do a "saline u/s" among other things before they can submit the paperwork to get my next IVF cycle approved by my insurance carrier. It never occurred to me that I was getting an SHG until I was laid out on the table....ay,yay, yay...it was painful!! Far worse than an HSG. I also bled quite a bit. Dr. T is on vacation so the Dr that did it explained that Dr T wanted it done just to make sure everything was okay re: fibroids, polyps etc. All was well but I was unprepared for the pain and cramping that followed. I had to take the rest of the day off. I really think I'm losing it....I know full well what an SHG is yet did not connect the dots when told I was going to have to do a "saline u/s"...I even complained about it!!! I wish I had realized what I was going to be doing so that I could have taken some pain meds and planned to be out the rest of the day.
I almost had an appt there today, but then since only the other Dr. is in, I changed my appt to the Westchester office. By the way, I had a US (just checking things before I decide when I want to cycle there) and she was much rougher than Dr. T. She practically forced the wand in there - LOL. I did an SHG with Dr. T and it didn't hurt at all. I think it is just the experience of the RE and that is why it probably hurt more than you were expecting.

BabyDance
BabyDance

August 11th, 2011, 12:48 am #7

I hate to say it...it could have been the Dr...or my biology....she had trouble with the catheter. I was shocked by the amount of blood lost during the procedure.
Feel better. xoxox BD

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

August 11th, 2011, 1:00 am #8

I almost had an appt there today, but then since only the other Dr. is in, I changed my appt to the Westchester office. By the way, I had a US (just checking things before I decide when I want to cycle there) and she was much rougher than Dr. T. She practically forced the wand in there - LOL. I did an SHG with Dr. T and it didn't hurt at all. I think it is just the experience of the RE and that is why it probably hurt more than you were expecting.
How funny if you did have your appt there today too. There's like a running joke between myself and a friend on another board that also goes to SIRM. I've met her and another on-line friend there and she has met a million people there!! I think they think we have a secret club going. You can just see the wheels spinning as they try to figure out how in the world we all know each other...we are all from seemingly completely different backgrounds. Hopefully I will get to meet you there one day too

You were smart to just make your appt in Westchester if that is more convenient...might as well take advantage of the situation. You know...I do think the pain was because she has less experience. I also think that I was being a bit of a baby because I have never had anyone except Dr. T do anything for me...I don't want to judge her too harshly. She's very sweet.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

August 11th, 2011, 1:01 am #9

Feel better. xoxox BD
Thanx...Im fine now n/t

ALM
ALM

August 11th, 2011, 1:35 am #10

and I'm so thankful. I YI YI. You poor thing. Well, you survived. UGH!

Confirmation of reply: