Gonal f dosage question

Gonal f dosage question

Molly
Molly

September 14th, 2011, 6:04 pm #1

I am ordering meds for upcoming cycle. I am private pay so trying to save every penny.

I will need to take 300 units of gonal f every day. This was called in as 900 unit pens, with instructions that i use 1/3 as a dose. When i askec nurse if i could do 300 unit pens instead she said this would be a waste of plastic.

Frankly, i am thinking i could have leftovers and that once pen is opened it neefs to be used in a few weeks, so to avoid wasting a dose or two if extra, i am wondering if i should insist on 300 unit pens. When i pressed nurse, she looked at me like i had 5 heads so maybe i am missing something?

Keep in mind that 300 units cost about $300 so if i loose 2 doses thats $600.

Appreciate your thoughts,
M

September 14th, 2011, 6:12 pm #2

Although the overfill in the 300 Gonal F's isn't very much, like only 75. Follistim cartridges all have about 125 overfill, so for every two 300's, you get a bonus 250, which is a huge help! Do insist on the 300's and see if they would let you do Follistim! Also double check the prices....but I think when I compared buying 3 300's to one 900 of either gonal F or Follistim it was very similar. I wish nurses were into these kind of tips and also which pharmacies are the cheapest for what because it is really helpful stuff!! Good luck with your updoming cycle!

xoxo, Tracy

September 14th, 2011, 6:30 pm #3

I am ordering meds for upcoming cycle. I am private pay so trying to save every penny.

I will need to take 300 units of gonal f every day. This was called in as 900 unit pens, with instructions that i use 1/3 as a dose. When i askec nurse if i could do 300 unit pens instead she said this would be a waste of plastic.

Frankly, i am thinking i could have leftovers and that once pen is opened it neefs to be used in a few weeks, so to avoid wasting a dose or two if extra, i am wondering if i should insist on 300 unit pens. When i pressed nurse, she looked at me like i had 5 heads so maybe i am missing something?

M
each Gonal-F 300 pen comes with an over flow of 156IU (if I remember correctly), and 900 comes with an overflow of ~250IU, so you are definitely better off getting the smaller doses.

What I found out is, it is easier to get the left over from Follistim than Gonal-F, you can just inject right from the pen, unlike Gonal-F, you must extract using a different syringe.

BabyDance
BabyDance

September 14th, 2011, 6:58 pm #4

M
I was so annoyed by this recently, even though I just payed 100 copay. It's such a waste. Do it your way.

Tracy
Tracy

September 14th, 2011, 7:04 pm #5

each Gonal-F 300 pen comes with an over flow of 156IU (if I remember correctly), and 900 comes with an overflow of ~250IU, so you are definitely better off getting the smaller doses.

What I found out is, it is easier to get the left over from Follistim than Gonal-F, you can just inject right from the pen, unlike Gonal-F, you must extract using a different syringe.
The gonal F pens had that much! I will for sure pull the last drops out with another syringe.

xoxo, Tracy

September 14th, 2011, 7:06 pm #6

It is stated in the product sheet - I always RTFM :-)

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

September 14th, 2011, 7:18 pm #7

Just a tiny correction..the overfill on a 900 Gonal-F unit is 126 units. The total amount in the pen is 1026.

I also believe that each pen has the exact same amount of overfill..at least that is what I've read about the other pens..I've only used the 900 pen though so double-check that.

Anonymous
Anonymous

September 14th, 2011, 7:18 pm #8

The gonal F pens had that much! I will for sure pull the last drops out with another syringe.

xoxo, Tracy
It Doesn't...see post below n/t

September 14th, 2011, 8:02 pm #9

Ratiowise, 300>450>900

Still I prefer Follistim. The overfill is about the same, but it is easy to get the last bit out.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

September 14th, 2011, 8:16 pm #10

I don't get what you are saying when you say the overfill should be 450. Each 900 pen contains 1026 units of Gonal F. What am I missing? LOL

BTW..I never try to get the overfill out..I just take the extra injection. I hear that it's pretty easy though to pull the rest out.

Confirmation of reply: