Genetics? - Followup question about LadyG's post about DE

Genetics? - Followup question about LadyG's post about DE

June 20th, 2012, 1:19 pm #1

I am curious about some of the posts that commented that the woman that carries a child can affect the genetics of the child. For example, if you do DE, you can influence the genetics of the child you are carrying even though it is not your own egg. Or a surro can influence the genetics of your egg if she is carrying an embryo from your egg.

I always thought genetics could only be determined by the woman/man contributing to the embryo. The woman that carries the child can nourish the child through her blood, but not contribute any genetics towards the child. Is this a wrong belief?

Julie
Julie

June 20th, 2012, 1:54 pm #2

In pretty basic language, basically it means that while the baby inherits certain genes from its genetic parents, its environment (including the uterus from which it is born) does influence which genes get turned on or turned off. Basically, the same embryo would turn out differently if it were in one uterus vs. another. The nutrients are different etc. I think about it this way. My DH is an identical twin but he and his brother do not look EXACTLY alike. His twin is about 1 inch taller and their heads are slightly different shapes. They have different personalities etc. My take-away from this is that even their position in the womb may have slightly affected their physical characteristics.

So my DD had the basics from her donor but there are certain things about her that come from being born from my womb. I have no idea exactly what they are but I do believe I influenced it.

anne
anne

June 20th, 2012, 3:23 pm #3

well put.

mm
mm

June 21st, 2012, 2:02 pm #4

I am curious about some of the posts that commented that the woman that carries a child can affect the genetics of the child. For example, if you do DE, you can influence the genetics of the child you are carrying even though it is not your own egg. Or a surro can influence the genetics of your egg if she is carrying an embryo from your egg.

I always thought genetics could only be determined by the woman/man contributing to the embryo. The woman that carries the child can nourish the child through her blood, but not contribute any genetics towards the child. Is this a wrong belief?
From when I was researching - the "host" chemical environment will influence HOW the genes are expressed. So the genetic material is not changed, just how it is interpreted.

Think of the DNA as the map, and the RNA (from the host) is the interpreter.

Confirmation of reply: