fsh newbie needs help

fsh newbie needs help

December 11th, 2011, 5:39 pm #1

Hello
I am 40, and have recently been diagnosed with a high fsh having been ttc for 1yr. Doctors all very negative, and we just seem to get worse and worse news the more we search. feel really hopeless, and could really do with some company as I go through this journey. Can anyone help?
Last edited by bettygrace on December 11th, 2011, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BabyDance
BabyDance

December 11th, 2011, 9:25 pm #2

Welcome. This is a good place to come for support (usually!). Do you mind telling us what your FSH is, and did you have an AMH test? What doctors have you seen, and have you tried IUI, or IVF? If you give us more info, we can try to give more support.

December 11th, 2011, 9:37 pm #3

My fsh is 11, and my AMH is 3.44. I have only just had this news, so am still a bit blown away by it. I have one dd aged 4, and she was conceived easily. Obviously I knew things wouldnt be easy at my age, but I had no idea about this factor, until, having tried for a year, went to see my doc for some reassuring advice, only to be told my changes were low. I really thought I was having a blood test to confirm I was ovulating - didnt realise that I would be told time was more than running out. I can see that most of you ladies are in the US. I am in the UK, so things are a bit different on the medical front. I am currently being seen by a NHS doc, who by the rules over here, cant offer IVF on this system. She would refer me over to the private sector for this if we choose to go that way. I have started some accupuncture, hoping at the least it will relieve me of some of this stress. I am so, so sad and really finding it hard to be positive. I really, really appreciate you answering me. It's so nice to "hear" a voice out there!
Last edited by bettygrace on December 11th, 2011, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anon10
Anon10

December 12th, 2011, 12:06 am #4

You have come to the right place for support and we are glad to have you join us. I think many of us can relate to feeling that time is not on our side- and the many emotions that accompany that relization. I am not clear from your post but it seems you have not tried IVF due to logistics in the UK- at 40 ( even with elevated FSH) you still may have a good shot with a low stim IVF protocol. Many of us 40+ seem to respond better to lower stims than higher. Perhaps you could schedule a phone consult with one of the RE's mentioned on this board here in the US for some medical direction?

Jamie
Jamie

December 12th, 2011, 4:24 am #5

My fsh is 11, and my AMH is 3.44. I have only just had this news, so am still a bit blown away by it. I have one dd aged 4, and she was conceived easily. Obviously I knew things wouldnt be easy at my age, but I had no idea about this factor, until, having tried for a year, went to see my doc for some reassuring advice, only to be told my changes were low. I really thought I was having a blood test to confirm I was ovulating - didnt realise that I would be told time was more than running out. I can see that most of you ladies are in the US. I am in the UK, so things are a bit different on the medical front. I am currently being seen by a NHS doc, who by the rules over here, cant offer IVF on this system. She would refer me over to the private sector for this if we choose to go that way. I have started some accupuncture, hoping at the least it will relieve me of some of this stress. I am so, so sad and really finding it hard to be positive. I really, really appreciate you answering me. It's so nice to "hear" a voice out there!
And sorry that things are like this. It stinks.

It's great to hear that you have a bio child. That means that at least you know you have proven fertility in the past. Some of us have improved our egg quality with CoQ10 and Ubiquinol; others have used Melatonin and Inositol. There is definitely hope but at our age (I am 40 also) we just don't produce as many viable eggs. Do you still have regular cycles with ovulation? Have they changed in any way?

December 12th, 2011, 6:42 pm #6

Hi
Thanks for the messages! You have no idea how nice it is to hear a sympathetic voice or two! It doesnt help with this problem that it's something you dont exactly shout about, so it can feel very loney, whereas the reality of the situation is that there are probably loads of women around us going through the same thing and feeling isolated. I havent tried IVF yet, as this is a new diagnosis. If I we decide to go down that route we would probably start the process in the new year, and have to find a private clinic that would take us.
When you say some of you have had sucess on low stims, what sort of sucess was that? Full pregancy or finding viable eggs? I had my folicles checked last month and they found 7. Is that any good? I have not started drug programmes, and none are on offer, apart from potential for IVF. I do ovulate each month, and have quite regular cycles. They have been shorter since I had my daughter, around 25-28 days.

Lola80
Lola80

December 12th, 2011, 10:09 pm #7

You really shouldn't worry too much. Your FSH is slightly elevated, but not high and your AMH is pretty good. Your AFC is a tad low, but it seems you'd do well with regular IVF.

Jamie
Jamie

December 13th, 2011, 3:16 am #8

Hi
Thanks for the messages! You have no idea how nice it is to hear a sympathetic voice or two! It doesnt help with this problem that it's something you dont exactly shout about, so it can feel very loney, whereas the reality of the situation is that there are probably loads of women around us going through the same thing and feeling isolated. I havent tried IVF yet, as this is a new diagnosis. If I we decide to go down that route we would probably start the process in the new year, and have to find a private clinic that would take us.
When you say some of you have had sucess on low stims, what sort of sucess was that? Full pregancy or finding viable eggs? I had my folicles checked last month and they found 7. Is that any good? I have not started drug programmes, and none are on offer, apart from potential for IVF. I do ovulate each month, and have quite regular cycles. They have been shorter since I had my daughter, around 25-28 days.
7 follicles is good given our age. Given that you have proven fertility, IVF might be just the thing for you. My own success came on medium stims, but there are definitely pregnancies and births from low-stimulation protocols. In your case, though, since you have a decent number of follicles, I'd be tempted to go slightly higher stims to try to grow them all. Good luck!

Anon10
Anon10

December 14th, 2011, 2:24 pm #9

Hi
seem pretty good so it sounds like you might respond better to a low stim approach if you chose to try IVF. For many the low stim approach produces more follies & eggs and better quality eggs than with high stims which can burn out the follies & impair the integrity of the egg. Some have found successes in different ways with the low stim approach which can range from making more and better quality eggs to successful implanatation and full term PG.

December 15th, 2011, 9:25 am #10

thanks for these messages. I am so grateful. I guess I am at the start of this journey then. I look forward to following all of yours and posting on my own. Now I know there are friendly faces here, it is such a huge support. I have started accupuncture, am awaiting for HSG dye test and then onto IVF options. Meanwhile chanting - just one egg, just one egg on a daily basis!

Confirmation of reply: