Could use prayers for one of my fur babies

Could use prayers for one of my fur babies

December 18th, 2011, 9:10 pm #1

I have brother and sister kitties who turned 17 in September. My boy Grady has had a few scares over the years, but is doing fine now. His sister Twinks has always been so healthy. She blind sided me this week with what seemed like constipation. Took her to the vet Thursday for a check up. They did b/w, Dr. did say her kidneys felt small. She still was ok, but by that night couldn't walk. It happened so fast! I got her in first thing the next am and her b/w results had come back at and her kidneys are beginning to fail. We are doing 3 full days of IV Fluids and she seemed a bit better last night. I'll know more on Tuesday when repeat b/w that they will be taking tomorrow comes back. I'm praying she bounces back and we can manage this. I'm just at such a loss and feel so sad. It is so hard to see my usually strong girl feeling so weak. Just wanted to let you guys know, so you could send your thoughts and prayers.

xoxo, Tracy

anon10
anon10

December 18th, 2011, 10:46 pm #2

Hope Twinks responds really well and feels better soon! I think it is much harder for us when one of our beloved fur babies is sick than it is for them. Hang in there, sorry you and your fur baby are going through this. Big hugs!!!!

December 18th, 2011, 10:55 pm #3

I have brother and sister kitties who turned 17 in September. My boy Grady has had a few scares over the years, but is doing fine now. His sister Twinks has always been so healthy. She blind sided me this week with what seemed like constipation. Took her to the vet Thursday for a check up. They did b/w, Dr. did say her kidneys felt small. She still was ok, but by that night couldn't walk. It happened so fast! I got her in first thing the next am and her b/w results had come back at and her kidneys are beginning to fail. We are doing 3 full days of IV Fluids and she seemed a bit better last night. I'll know more on Tuesday when repeat b/w that they will be taking tomorrow comes back. I'm praying she bounces back and we can manage this. I'm just at such a loss and feel so sad. It is so hard to see my usually strong girl feeling so weak. Just wanted to let you guys know, so you could send your thoughts and prayers.

xoxo, Tracy

I will say a prayer for your cat. We've had quite a few cats and when they get older, the kidney problems can start. I think its important to give them plenty of moist catfood (canned) instead of just the dry kibbles, the moist food is good for their kidneys.

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 18th, 2011, 11:52 pm #4

xoxo, Tracy

I soak all her kibble in distilled water and only give her distilled water to drink (some people think it can help flush the kidneys.

I mash the wet kibble in with her wet food into a gross mash that she loves.

As they get older their kidneys can get smaller but still be functioning, so it could possibly be something else. Do have a blood panel done to see how she is dealing with protein so you know if you need to cut that back. It is an expensive test, I am sorry to say, but worth it as you'll know if you need to cut back on her protein, since that will cause her to lose weight. (For mine she was over weight so it actually really helped her!) Some of the wet food at the store has the least, though it is not the highest quality, but can help. If she is over weight, which is so common in older cats and my girl was, losing weight could really help her back, too.

And, if her appetite is down, get some B12 pills. I got 1,000 and cut them in half and then crushed them in t her food. It helps her appetite. I would only give ti to her once, then wait until she was not eating again. I haven't needed to give it to her in months.

In my girl's case she had issues two years ago and had been doing great ever since with this mash and water treatment, I hope the same for your girl too!

All the best to you and your fuzzy love. Hope something here helps.

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 18th, 2011, 11:53 pm #5

And will pray, too!

December 19th, 2011, 12:07 am #6

I soak all her kibble in distilled water and only give her distilled water to drink (some people think it can help flush the kidneys.

I mash the wet kibble in with her wet food into a gross mash that she loves.

As they get older their kidneys can get smaller but still be functioning, so it could possibly be something else. Do have a blood panel done to see how she is dealing with protein so you know if you need to cut that back. It is an expensive test, I am sorry to say, but worth it as you'll know if you need to cut back on her protein, since that will cause her to lose weight. (For mine she was over weight so it actually really helped her!) Some of the wet food at the store has the least, though it is not the highest quality, but can help. If she is over weight, which is so common in older cats and my girl was, losing weight could really help her back, too.

And, if her appetite is down, get some B12 pills. I got 1,000 and cut them in half and then crushed them in t her food. It helps her appetite. I would only give ti to her once, then wait until she was not eating again. I haven't needed to give it to her in months.

In my girl's case she had issues two years ago and had been doing great ever since with this mash and water treatment, I hope the same for your girl too!

All the best to you and your fuzzy love. Hope something here helps.
It is good to hear from those that have been there. Vitamin B6 ended up being the key for my boy Grady's bladder stone issue. I did a $300 b/w panel that I think had everything in there. Right now the potassium, bun and creatinin (sp?) are the main things they hope will balance a bit after the intense fluids. They now have her on a kidney wet food. They talked about it being the right protein level for her. Once she is feeling better they want me to mix in a bit of a high fiber food to help with the constipation too. I'm glad to hear your girl is doing well! That really makes me feel more hopeful. Will keep you guys posted. Will know more Tuesday.

xoxo, Tracy

December 19th, 2011, 12:09 am #7

Hope Twinks responds really well and feels better soon! I think it is much harder for us when one of our beloved fur babies is sick than it is for them. Hang in there, sorry you and your fur baby are going through this. Big hugs!!!!
I believe that is true, it is so hard on us. I'm trying to take deep breaths and not let it consume me. That is why I reached out on here too. I finally finished decorating the Christmas tree this afternoon. I'm trying to take heart that I'm doing all I can and am hoping for the best.

xoxo, Tracy

December 19th, 2011, 12:10 am #8

I will say a prayer for your cat. We've had quite a few cats and when they get older, the kidney problems can start. I think its important to give them plenty of moist catfood (canned) instead of just the dry kibbles, the moist food is good for their kidneys.
Yes, I think she will be on all wet food going forward and on a special diet. I know it is so common. The vet seems very familiar with it, that is for sure and reassuring.

xoxo, Tracy

Mrs. McIrish
Mrs. McIrish

December 19th, 2011, 12:37 am #9

xoxo, Tracy

My cat is 19 yrs old and he was also diagnosed with kidney failure but that was 2 (yes 2) years ago!! I was devastated when he was first diagnosed and thought he had about 6 months by the way the vet spoke. We changed his food to special kidney food(NF and KD) and he has maintained his 9lbs for 2 years + a month now. He is doing so well. I hope your kitty rebounds after the fluid treatment and change in food. Hugs.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

December 19th, 2011, 12:40 am #10

xoxo, Tracy

Tracy,

I hope Twinks is able to recover from this and is back to her usual self. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Confirmation of reply: