Clomid Challenge?

Clomid Challenge?

May 13th, 2010, 3:17 am #1

I have a question and I figured you might have some advice on this - my new RE's office wants me to do the Clomid Challenge test just to have it on file in case insurance asks for it because of my age, though they admitted that it is not a prerequisite for an IUI cycle, which is my next step. So, knowing that taking Clomid back in Dec/Jan seriously messed up my body for 2 months and shot my fsh way up, I'm thinking I don't want to take it.
I'm currently on a break from ttc while I recover from uterine surgery to remove a rather large septum - so DH & I will be sitting out this coming cycle as well. So taking the clomid wouldn't even potentially help with ttc because we are specifically not supposed to try this cycle anyway.
Any advice? Anyone been in a similar situation? Thanks.

May 13th, 2010, 2:14 pm #2

ncfp,

No way would I take it. Among other things, though I realized this late to the game, repeat use of Clomid (6+ cycles) is documented to increase the risk of various sorts of cancer (uterine, ovarian), and I can't imagine it's just cycle 6 that has that effect. Full disclosure: I did something similar to what you're doing (CCCT just to appease my RE) but with hindsight -- forget it; knowing what I do now, I should have told him to go jump.

FWIW.

GL to you and I'm sorry you're dealing with all this!

Best wishes,
Alex

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 13th, 2010, 3:52 pm #3

I have a question and I figured you might have some advice on this - my new RE's office wants me to do the Clomid Challenge test just to have it on file in case insurance asks for it because of my age, though they admitted that it is not a prerequisite for an IUI cycle, which is my next step. So, knowing that taking Clomid back in Dec/Jan seriously messed up my body for 2 months and shot my fsh way up, I'm thinking I don't want to take it.
I'm currently on a break from ttc while I recover from uterine surgery to remove a rather large septum - so DH & I will be sitting out this coming cycle as well. So taking the clomid wouldn't even potentially help with ttc because we are specifically not supposed to try this cycle anyway.
I agree with the previous poster that do not take the CCCT test unless you ABSOLUTELY need to do it for insurance purposes. Then at that time if insurance does require it just don't take the Clomid pills and pretend you did. It does not show up in your bloodwork so no one will ever know. Many of us also take estinyl (also does not show up in your blood) to lower your FSH so your numbers look good for the CCCT test. We know it is deceitful but we deserve our insurance coverage to build our families.

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 13th, 2010, 3:53 pm #4

nt

old Friend
old Friend

May 13th, 2010, 5:22 pm #5

It won't help, and may hurt you!

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 13th, 2010, 8:01 pm #6

Dirty little game with insurance. CCCT basically allows the insurance companies to disallow coverage. Fill the prescription and don't take it. They don't test for it in your system.

When your levels look good and your RE says "wow", you just say "wow" along with him/her. Huh, how did that happen?

Chapter2
Chapter2

May 13th, 2010, 10:01 pm #7

I also had problems after taking clomid. AF went awol for months. It is too risky to take if you are over 40 with high fsh. I couldn't even cycle or get AF for months unless I was given provera. I would rather a small chance each month instead of having 90+ day cycles and the chaos clomid caused. You really need to try every month and hope to get lucky. You can't do that if your body is in turmoil or at a stand still.

Good luck. FYI. If you are in MA I may know of some ways to get some things covered depending upon what has been reported on you and where you go.

May 13th, 2010, 10:14 pm #8

I am so glad I am reading this post and the responses. In September 2009, before any chemical aide, my FSH and LH levels were really good....fantastic, even. My FSH was 7.8 and my LH was 6.4, my Estradial (is that the same as E2?) was 37.7.

My OB gave me provera to bring on my cycle and AF came about 12 days later - regular flow, maybe a little less than normal.

Then in October '09, I did a provera/clomid cycle at 50mg. Felt ovulation, but very minor staining on CD1 then nothing thereafter.

Then, in late Feb '10, I did another one provera/clomid cycle, this time w/ clomid at 100mg. Felt heavy ovulation, but again, no period and even less staining than the first cycle.

My April 7, 2010 b/w with my RE came back with my FSH at 30.2 and my LH at 22.5...what a jump!! That's when I got my DE/Adoption speech. My estrogen (same as E2?) was down to 18.6.

I asked my OB and the RE if the drugs could have affected the outcome and both said that enough time had passed for it to show up like that. Also, my ovaries were normal in the Oct09 sono and measured pretty small in the Apr10 sono. I am now wondering if the super ovulation depleted my Follies, thereby making my ovaries smaller and throwing my hormones totally out of whack!

I went to my new RE on May 10 and he ordered a battery of blood tests. I told him, yes, I'm trying to TTC but I also want to know that there is nothing wrong with me, etc. Wanted to make sure that DR's were not missing a diagnosis. He was very open, very helpful (I found him on a list of High-FSH-Friendly REs), wanted to approach me as a whole person first rather than a pair of insufficient ovaries. He didn't try to speed diagnose me.

Anyway, I will keep this thread posted on what my subsequent B/W shows. I'm due for another draw on next Monday, May 17. But I may be living proof that clomid can throw off virtually perfect numbers. We'll see what my subsequent b/w shows.

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 13th, 2010, 10:52 pm #9

My first FSH day 3 reading was 25, a few months later it was 9.5, later it was 12... you get the idea. I didn't make any changes. E2 always below 50/ above 25. Some months FSH is just lower than others (never took clomid or the CCCT, I refused it!).

Unfortunately on my cycles with lower FSH the result from stimming were not very good. Drs like to say your highest # is the indicator, and that was unfortunately true for me.

May 13th, 2010, 11:36 pm #10

I also had problems after taking clomid. AF went awol for months. It is too risky to take if you are over 40 with high fsh. I couldn't even cycle or get AF for months unless I was given provera. I would rather a small chance each month instead of having 90+ day cycles and the chaos clomid caused. You really need to try every month and hope to get lucky. You can't do that if your body is in turmoil or at a stand still.

Good luck. FYI. If you are in MA I may know of some ways to get some things covered depending upon what has been reported on you and where you go.
sorry to hear that Clomid messed you up too. I agree that we don't have time to waste with weird long cycles. I'm curious what advice you might have for those who live in MA. I did read through my insurance coverage section and they say that if you have a documented case of POF w/high fsh prior to age 40 then they don't require the CCCT (which I did). So I called back the RE office and spoke to the insurance person there and she agreed, but said the doc still wants me to take it. jeesh!

Confirmation of reply: