Article on low stim better for reducing aneuploidy.

Article on low stim better for reducing aneuploidy.

BabyDance
BabyDance

January 8th, 2012, 12:21 pm #1

http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/22/4/980.full.

Sorry if this is a repeat. I don't remember anyone posting this before.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

January 8th, 2012, 3:37 pm #2

Great article. Reading it however, I think even the researchers acknowledged towards the end that they could not rule out that the lower rate of aneupolidy embryos could be due to the fact that the lower stim group also uses an antagonist protocol which does not disrupt follicle selection. The higher stim group used an agonist in a long down regulation protocol that disrupted the natural selection of follicles which could be the cause of the abnormalities. In the end, both groups made the same number of normal embryos but the rate at which normal embryos were made was higher with the low stim protocol.

I would be interested to see other studies where the participants were similarly situated but for their stim amount..that was not the case here.

January 8th, 2012, 5:20 pm #3

http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/22/4/980.full.

Sorry if this is a repeat. I don't remember anyone posting this before.
on mini-IVF's impact on yield of normal embyros and successful pregnancy. I need to dig around to see if I can find that paper, somehow I didn't save it. The conclusion was, for older women, regardless of how hard you stim, the number of "good eggs" are pretty much the same, although max stims generate far higher numbers.

January 8th, 2012, 5:24 pm #4

Great article. Reading it however, I think even the researchers acknowledged towards the end that they could not rule out that the lower rate of aneupolidy embryos could be due to the fact that the lower stim group also uses an antagonist protocol which does not disrupt follicle selection. The higher stim group used an agonist in a long down regulation protocol that disrupted the natural selection of follicles which could be the cause of the abnormalities. In the end, both groups made the same number of normal embryos but the rate at which normal embryos were made was higher with the low stim protocol.

I would be interested to see other studies where the participants were similarly situated but for their stim amount..that was not the case here.
I think successful pregnancy should be the ultimate judge, because PGD itself is not conclusive, it doesn't test everything, and even an embryo passing PGD could be a problem later. My RE offers PGD but told me to avoid it due to my age, since PGD could do more harm to fragile older eggs, and it doesn't exclude all abnormalities.

Confirmation of reply: