Anyone believe in strep B causing problems

Anyone believe in strep B causing problems

Kim
Kim

March 22nd, 2012, 8:58 pm #1

I had some cervical cultures done for my mini-IVF cycle in December by my GYN, and she ran a couple of other tests, including strep B. I came back positive for strep B. In the back of my mind wondering if this is a problem? Any solutions?

March 22nd, 2012, 9:06 pm #2

Did you discuss this with Dr. C? I do think infections cause issues - if you are able to get a BFP, it can still cause a chemical or miscarriage to happen. I think you may want to take some antibiotics to clear this.

BroodyHen
BroodyHen

March 22nd, 2012, 9:28 pm #3

I had some cervical cultures done for my mini-IVF cycle in December by my GYN, and she ran a couple of other tests, including strep B. I came back positive for strep B. In the back of my mind wondering if this is a problem? Any solutions?
i was diagnosed with group B strep right before delivery of DS 3 years ago. apparently about 1/3 of women are "colonized". since then i have had 3 miscarriages and i think some implantation failures, too. i had a phone consult with dr. t oth who is big on antibiotic therapy. on his website there is a paper about group B causing problems. my RE is certain that this isn't a problem and isn't the cause of my mcs. but... having tried just about everything else (i also have APS, an autoimmune clotting disorder = lovenox, baby aspirin, IVIG, plus synthroid and dex) i recently decided to add antibiotics to make sure that isn't the missing piece. you can search recent posts for discussion on ABs, i think some helpful stuff was posted here.

March 22nd, 2012, 10:26 pm #4

I think we might have discussed this before, but what antibiotics does To.th have you on? Are you on them for 30 days or longer? I have also been to To.t.h and he has recommended Rim.fampin and Doxy for 30 days, but when I mention this to the RE's they tell me to stay away from such long term antibiotics because they can damage the liver. So, I haven't done anything, but in the back of my head, I keep thinking that I might have some underlying infection that the other RE's haven't been able to find.

BroodyHen
BroodyHen

March 25th, 2012, 3:34 am #5

i never actually saw him, but had a phone consult. i then spoke to him two more times on the phone briefly, as he was gracious enough to take my calls. but he is pretty loose with the recommendations, and each time i got a different recommendation. i think if you haven't been officially diagnosed with anything specific then he will recommend two broad spectrum AB. the ones he rattled off to me included flagyl, amoxycillin, doxy, clindamycin, arithromax... i went with 3 weeks of doxy followed by 2 weeks of clindamycin. my hematologist prescribed them for me, and didn't seem concerned with the plan. i'm almost done with the ABs -- i hope my liver is holding out!

did you get testing/cultures with t oth or did you just do a phone consult?

Kim
Kim

March 26th, 2012, 1:10 am #6

Can you tell me the dosage each day for the three weeks and when taking (am or pm or both)?

BroodyHen
BroodyHen

March 26th, 2012, 3:33 am #7

i went with his recommendation, or what he recommended the last time i talked to him.
100 mg doxy 2x a day for 3 weeks (AM & PM)
immediately followed by 300 mg of clindamycin 4x a day for 2 weeks (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and before bed)

i have also been taking probiotics to try to keep from getting a yeast infection or stomach upset and have done well. one more week to go...

Kim
Kim

March 26th, 2012, 8:39 pm #8

Thanks! Did Dr. T.oth explain why clindamycin? Spoke to him in Jan&doxy only mentioned

Kim
Kim

March 26th, 2012, 8:59 pm #9

i went with his recommendation, or what he recommended the last time i talked to him.
100 mg doxy 2x a day for 3 weeks (AM & PM)
immediately followed by 300 mg of clindamycin 4x a day for 2 weeks (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and before bed)

i have also been taking probiotics to try to keep from getting a yeast infection or stomach upset and have done well. one more week to go...
I have enough scripts for 1x per day 100mg doxy to take for three weeks. When did you decide to start the doxy? If I only take it for the this cycle - which is starting any day now for me - then could I start at day 6-7 of my cycle? I have a short cycle (25-26 days) all my life, so that would give me the approximate three weeks? Reason I ask is because we are hoping to start meds next cycle for ZIFT and prefer to be finished up with the doxy before stimming.

Hoping you get lucky soon!! I truly believe in antibiotics as the only 2-3 times I achieved a pregnancy I was on antibiotics around ovulation or implantation.

BroodyHen
BroodyHen

March 27th, 2012, 2:05 am #10

he never explained why clindamycin. in fact, looking back through the notes from the various conversations i have jotted down that flagyl and clindamycin aren't the best for group b. but then he recommended it. he is pretty casual about which ones he recommends! he specifically said clindamycin the last time we spoke, and we discussed that i am definitely positive for group b. he thinks, however, that the likely more serious culprit is chlamydia, even though i haven't tested positive for it. again, i think the big idea is to hit the system with 2 different strong, broad antibiotics. he said that i could substitute flagyl 1/2 mg 2x a day for the clyndamycin.

so with the huge caveat that i am not a doctor, i don't think that 100mg of doxy once a day is enough. in a previous conversation he said 1 month of doxy 100 mg 2x a day followed by 2 weeks of ampicillan or amoxycillin 500 mg 3x day. all this makes me believe that it doesn't matter all that much which antibiotic, but i do think the dose has to be enough to give you a good wallop and i worry your 1x a day isn't.

he went on to tell me this last time we spoke that 3 days before missed period if you think you are pregnant (!) you should take 10 days of arythromax or erythromycin, then 2 months off, then 10 days on of either erythromycin or doxy or clindamycin again. sticking with the 10 days on 2 months off plan throughout the pregnancy, alternating the antibiotic.

your partner has to follow the same protocol you do, or you'll pass whatever you have back and forth and defeat the purpose.

he says the doses are on his website, but i haven't looked.

he also likes steroids in the mix, as he said that they make the bacteria grow making them more susceptible to the antibiotics.

and i'm afraid i don't have any advice as to when to start. i just started taking them as soon as i could get my hands on a prescription. i will be finishing up the clindamycin around ovulation, and i'm worried it would be better to be on ABs around implantation, but... i can't take them forever so that is that. anyway, i hope all my semi-informed ramblings here are more helpful than not

do you mind sharing the details of how you were successful with ABs? thank you!!

Confirmation of reply: