AMH level can DEFINITELY vary. I am proof.

AMH level can DEFINITELY vary. I am proof.

ChickenLittle
ChickenLittle

June 28th, 2012, 8:14 pm #1

Hi ladies! I know there's been some agonizing over AMH levels as the new "definitive standard" of ovarian reserve, with the American metric of AMH level 1-3 considered good (below 1 is considered sub-fertile ovarian reserve, and above 3 as possible PCOS).

REs are currently viewing AMH as a much more reliable measure of ovarian reserve (along with an ultrasound AFC--antral follicle count) than the Day 3 FSH level, which, as most of us know, can vary tremendously from month to month. AFC, they think, doesn't vary nearly as much as FSH, and, they think, it will only go down over time as a woman's fertility wanes with age.

WELLLLLLLLLLL, from my own experience, this is not true. I had the test done four times, at the same hospital, shipping the blood out to the same Quest lab. Here are my results:

October 2010, Age 42.5: 1
March 2011, Age 43, one month after a failed round of IVF/ICSI: minus .16 (ie, menopausal
August 2011, Age almost 43.5: .50
June 2012, Age 44.3 (ai yi yi!): .65

No, this is not a series of typos. My AMH plummeted within six months (due to IVF hormone shifts, I assume) , then crawled back up over the past year-plus. Go figure. Granted, .65 is not an encouraging AMH level, but I am TTC naturally at this point, and don't need to meet a particular AMH level to, say, get approved for OE IVF or whatever.

As has been pointed out, the test is NOT yet FDA approved, and one TTC scientist on these boards said the test is even regarded as "cowboy science"--ie, not exactly viewed at 100% legit within the scientific community.

Anyway...just food for thought. As we've seen over and over and over again, you can't always trust the tests--or what they suggest as far as your reproductive prospects.

Best of luck to you all! xoxox Chix

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 28th, 2012, 8:58 pm #2

Thanks for posting. IVF must dwindle it, even though they say it doesn't.

ChickenLittle
ChickenLittle

June 28th, 2012, 9:26 pm #3

"Keep that grain of salt close by" is my RE motto. NT

June 28th, 2012, 10:27 pm #4

Hi ladies! I know there's been some agonizing over AMH levels as the new "definitive standard" of ovarian reserve, with the American metric of AMH level 1-3 considered good (below 1 is considered sub-fertile ovarian reserve, and above 3 as possible PCOS).

REs are currently viewing AMH as a much more reliable measure of ovarian reserve (along with an ultrasound AFC--antral follicle count) than the Day 3 FSH level, which, as most of us know, can vary tremendously from month to month. AFC, they think, doesn't vary nearly as much as FSH, and, they think, it will only go down over time as a woman's fertility wanes with age.

WELLLLLLLLLLL, from my own experience, this is not true. I had the test done four times, at the same hospital, shipping the blood out to the same Quest lab. Here are my results:

March 2011, Age 43, one month after a failed round of IVF/ICSI: minus .16 (ie, menopausal

No, this is not a series of typos. My AMH plummeted within six months (due to IVF hormone shifts, I assume) , then crawled back up over the past year-plus. Go figure. Granted, .65 is not an encouraging AMH level, but I am TTC naturally at this point, and don't need to meet a particular AMH level to, say, get approved for OE IVF or whatever.

As has been pointed out, the test is NOT yet FDA approved, and one TTC scientist on these boards said the test is even regarded as "cowboy science"--ie, not exactly viewed at 100% legit within the scientific community.

Anyway...just food for thought. As we've seen over and over and over again, you can't always trust the tests--or what they suggest as far as your reproductive prospects.

one round of high stim can really deplete lots of reserve. My period volume became much much lighter after 3 rounds of conventional IVF to the extent that I was done within 1.5 days. It actually took me about 6 months to restore my ovaries to respond to mini-IVF meds.

anne
anne

June 29th, 2012, 2:07 am #5

thanks so much for the info!! n/t

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

June 29th, 2012, 3:10 am #6

How are you my dear? Good to see you post again. Recently. Very interesting findings. Makes sense because we have seen some ladies with very low AMH levels seem to do better than their AMH Level might indicate.

ChickenLittle
ChickenLittle

June 29th, 2012, 3:25 am #7

How am I? Why, I am bored as hell with TTC!

In general, things are fine, but I'm running out of energy here. Last week, I did my AMH test and I am going to do an AFC/SIS next week in preparation for a "last hurrah" set of 3 medicated cycles (deciding between Clomid and Femara). If that doesn't work, then I'm dunzo with OE and TTC naturally. For reals.

After 8 cycles of TTC naturally with no luck--and being forty-freaking-four now and knowing what that means as far as my odds--I am simply ready to move on to the next stage, get mah bebeh in mah belleh, and get on with the business of raising a child.

Which, of course, realistically means resoroting to DE, and lemme tell ya, after all this repetitive TTC disappointment each month, DE sounds pretty appealing! One tremendous blessing is that I got work that will enable me to pay for DE...it had been looking dicey in that department, so I'm thrilled to have some family-building funds.

I know you're headed the same direction and I wish you all the best. Will be tracking your progress on the yellow board, and, most likely, following suit. Big hugs from your fellow NYC gal. xoxoxoxChix

anne
anne

June 29th, 2012, 4:20 am #8

if we get what we want for our house which will be for sale soon, hubby told me we could use some of the profit to try for de.

i will always mourn the loss of my genetic children but am almost ready to move on.

thanks for sharing your thoughts...

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

June 29th, 2012, 4:38 am #9

How am I? Why, I am bored as hell with TTC!

In general, things are fine, but I'm running out of energy here. Last week, I did my AMH test and I am going to do an AFC/SIS next week in preparation for a "last hurrah" set of 3 medicated cycles (deciding between Clomid and Femara). If that doesn't work, then I'm dunzo with OE and TTC naturally. For reals.

After 8 cycles of TTC naturally with no luck--and being forty-freaking-four now and knowing what that means as far as my odds--I am simply ready to move on to the next stage, get mah bebeh in mah belleh, and get on with the business of raising a child.

Which, of course, realistically means resoroting to DE, and lemme tell ya, after all this repetitive TTC disappointment each month, DE sounds pretty appealing! One tremendous blessing is that I got work that will enable me to pay for DE...it had been looking dicey in that department, so I'm thrilled to have some family-building funds.

I know you're headed the same direction and I wish you all the best. Will be tracking your progress on the yellow board, and, most likely, following suit. Big hugs from your fellow NYC gal. xoxoxoxChix

Chix-first off, I will be rooting for you and hoping that you find success on one of these last cycles. Could be that your golden egg may await you. I'm glad to hear that you may have coverage if you do decide to move onto DE. That is great news. On one hand, I would love to have you and Anne join me on the DE side but also wish things were dufferent if it comes to that. After going through so much with our OE, I wish for success for all of the ladies here. If however that does not happen and you are open to it, I think DE is a great option. I remember that a little over a year ago I thought that it wasn't for me. Today, here I am and very excited. Although DE is by no means a guarantee, when I was doing my last OE cycles, it gave me hope that one day I could create my family. If not this way, then through adoption. I said all of that to say to both you and Anne, do your OE cycles with passion and fearlessly. Someone has to end up on the other side of the stats and it could be you. However, if it doesn't work out, don't fear DE's. I promise that you will be just as excited. Fx for you both!!

Jamie
Jamie

June 30th, 2012, 12:01 am #10

Hoping to hear wonderful news soon!

Confirmation of reply: