3rd failed iui....child mentioned.....advice please

3rd failed iui....child mentioned.....advice please

April 29th, 2012, 10:05 pm #1

Hi all.....my highest known FSH is 14.7 (but I take wheatgrass so who knows how high it really is). Dh has Mfi. We conceived Dd through an Iui after 3 failed Ivfs and one failed FET. Since August, I have done 3 Iuis in hopes of conceiving #2. Dh's count fluctuates from the low end of normal to infertile (last Iui total count was 18 million motile....in October we had 68 million motile). I am able to produce about 3-4 eggs with high stims (450 bravelle/150 menopur).

I don't know what to do next...more Iuis? Try Ivf again?? We had coverage for Iui, but no coverage for Ivf. Ivf is a rough sell for Dh bc we shelled out so much in failed treatments.

Tia!!!!
Last edited by auntkat on May 5th, 2012, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jamie
Jamie

April 30th, 2012, 3:29 pm #2

That's amazing that you were able to conceive with IUI and bad male factor. When you did IVF, were you at a clinic with really good statistics for IVF? Were they doing ICSI with the eggs? I'm also wondering if your stims were just a bit high.

Also, have you tried any of the supplements for sperm? I think there's one called Proxeed; I'm sure other people here will chime in.

Kim
Kim

April 30th, 2012, 7:18 pm #3

Hi all.....my highest known FSH is 14.7 (but I take wheatgrass so who knows how high it really is). Dh has Mfi. We conceived Dd through an Iui after 3 failed Ivfs and one failed FET. Since August, I have done 3 Iuis in hopes of conceiving #2. Dh's count fluctuates from the low end of normal to infertile (last Iui total count was 18 million motile....in October we had 68 million motile). I am able to produce about 3-4 eggs with high stims (450 bravelle/150 menopur).

I don't know what to do next...more Iuis? Try Ivf again?? We had coverage for Iui, but no coverage for Ivf. Ivf is a rough sell for Dh bc we shelled out so much in failed treatments.

Tia!!!!
Think you should try IVF at moderate stims (you'll probably still get 3-4 eggs - maybe more) as high stims can cause your ovaries to shut down. Also, maybe even step up to ZIFT - as there is an argument for higher THB rates with ZIFT for 40+ crowd. Always remember there is a possibility of more than 1 at your age too. I am not amazed that you conceived with MF with DC#1. There was a woman at 47 on another board that claims she was using protection and still conceived! She is probably half way through her pregnancy by now - and healthy baby from last I read.

May 1st, 2012, 3:35 am #4

Tia!!!!
We did three rounds of IUI before we started IVF, because insurance required it. If we'd had another financial option, though, I would have gone to IVF. My FSH just changed to 14 in March, and I would have probably had better luck with IVF if we hadn't waited even 3 months.

Age 41 (DOR/AMA). My partner is 35.
Patient at Shady Grove FC in Maryland
2012: Insurance will pay for 3 rounds of IVF, and then we will have to quit.
2nd IVF (April 2012): Microdose flare. Lupron 20 (2x day), Gonal-F (450/day), Menopur (150/day). Egg retrieval will be 4/30 +/-. Currently 10 follicles.Also taking MRM micronized DHEA (75mg, acupuncture (2-3x week), Montana Big Sky royal jelly/bee pollen, no alcohol, South Beach diet for years, a lot of meditation and fertility magic. Had bariatric surgery in 2006 and lost 110 lbs.
FSH (March 2012): 14
1st IVF (February 2012): Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelix: 9 eggs retrieved, 7 mature, 4 fertilized, 2 transferred. No pregnancy.
2011:
3 rounds IUI (no pregnancies)
6 mo drug break to get assessed for breast cancer/ ovarian cancer risk
3 rounds timed intercourse (Clomid, etc) (No pregnancies)
FSH (September 2011): 8
2010:
1 miscarriage (at 7 wks) from a natural pregnancy
FSH (2010): 6

May 3rd, 2012, 6:09 pm #5

That's amazing that you were able to conceive with IUI and bad male factor. When you did IVF, were you at a clinic with really good statistics for IVF? Were they doing ICSI with the eggs? I'm also wondering if your stims were just a bit high.

Also, have you tried any of the supplements for sperm? I think there's one called Proxeed; I'm sure other people here will chime in.
Jamie.....we were shocked and amazed too!!

I did my Ivfs at 2 different clinics in New York (Cny where stats are ok and NYU which has excellent stats). I will be going back to Cny for Ivf b/c that is close by and we can afford it.

Haven't tried Proxeed for Dh. We are seeing a urologist that specializes in male factor on the 16th so I'm hoping he will have some suggestions for us.

What do you think low stim Ivf would do? Better egg quality?

Thanks for your response!!

May 3rd, 2012, 6:09 pm #6

Jamie.....we were shocked and amazed too!!

I did my Ivfs at 2 different clinics in New York (Cny where stats are ok and NYU which has excellent stats). I will be going back to Cny for Ivf b/c that is close by and we can afford it.

Haven't tried Proxeed for Dh. We are seeing a urologist that specializes in male factor on the 16th so I'm hoping he will have some suggestions for us.

What do you think low stim Ivf would do? Better egg quality?

Thanks for your response!!

May 5th, 2012, 2:01 am #7

We did three rounds of IUI before we started IVF, because insurance required it. If we'd had another financial option, though, I would have gone to IVF. My FSH just changed to 14 in March, and I would have probably had better luck with IVF if we hadn't waited even 3 months.

2nd IVF (April 2012): Microdose flare. Lupron 20 (2x day), Gonal-F (450/day), Menopur (150/day). Egg retrieval will be 4/30 +/-. Currently 10 follicles.Also taking MRM micronized DHEA (75mg, acupuncture (2-3x week), Montana Big Sky royal jelly/bee pollen, no alcohol, South Beach diet for years, a lot of meditation and fertility magic. Had bariatric surgery in 2006 and lost 110 lbs.
1st IVF (February 2012): Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelix: 9 eggs retrieved, 7 mature, 4 fertilized, 2 transferred. No pregnancy.
2011:
2010:
Thanks for your thoughts & sharing your experience! I wish you the BEST of luck along with everyone else who is still waiting for their LO!

May 5th, 2012, 2:03 am #8

Think you should try IVF at moderate stims (you'll probably still get 3-4 eggs - maybe more) as high stims can cause your ovaries to shut down. Also, maybe even step up to ZIFT - as there is an argument for higher THB rates with ZIFT for 40+ crowd. Always remember there is a possibility of more than 1 at your age too. I am not amazed that you conceived with MF with DC#1. There was a woman at 47 on another board that claims she was using protection and still conceived! She is probably half way through her pregnancy by now - and healthy baby from last I read.
Wow that is a crazy story!! We should all be so lucky

I will talk toy RE about lower stims. I think we are going to do Ivf again next cycle

May 5th, 2012, 2:51 am #9

Thanks for your thoughts & sharing your experience! I wish you the BEST of luck along with everyone else who is still waiting for their LO!
Let me know what you decide. The money issue is a tough one. If our IVF#3 doesn't work, we'll have to decide what to do next, if anything. Insurance is paying for 3 rounds for us. I don't know how people do IVF out of pocket! (Maybe I should change careers... )

But I do wish I'd gently tried to persuade my other half to try IVF a year or two ago. Our odds are so low now... sigh.

2011:
2010:

May 5th, 2012, 10:58 am #10

We decided we are going back to Ivf. We are buying a 3 cycle package and if that doesn't work we are done with treatments and will try on our own.

Thanks for your response!! I wish you the best of luck!!!!! Hang in there!!!

Confirmation of reply: