VOYAGER: Chapter 39: Lost, and by the Wind Grieved

repoman
Clan Fraser Veteran

3:09 AM - Oct 09, 2011 #1

Voyager: Part Seven

Chapter 39: Lost, and by the Wind Grieved

© Diana Gabaldon 1994

:bagpipe: Please discuss Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber and Voyager ONLY in this thread. Thanks!

The Spoiler thread can be found HERE: voyager-spoiler-thread-t2572.html

So, Ian and Jenny have given their assent, with reluctance, to Young Ian swimming to the silkies’ isle to obtain some of the treasure there as payment for Jamie’s recently acknowledged debt to Laoghaire. What do you think of Young Ian, or his brothers before him, tackling this daunting swim?

Young Ian is nervously talkative as they approach the coast. Jamie coaches him to use the current in his swim to the isle. The weather is dreadful, but these are hardy Scots. The mists hide Ian from view of Jamie and Claire. Through the mists, Jamie discovers a boat pulling ashore on the isle. Then they see that men on the isle have taken a limp Ian. Jamie is helpless. The boat takes Ian to a waiting ship. All that Jamie and Claire can do is observe the ship for further identification. The ship’s crew spots them and warns them off with a few cannon shots. The real problem is that Ian has been captured, hopefully without serious injury.

This development must be a nightmare for Jamie. Of all his concerns, a ship capturing Young Ian was probably nowhere on his list. What do you think of this event?

All thought of treasure is gone. Young Ian’s care has been entrusted to Jamie. How can he ever face Jenny and Ian having lost their son? Is it hope or desperation that causes Jamie to climb down the cliff – Ellen’s tower – to retrieve Ian’s few possessions?

Jamie is full of self doubt. Why has this trip gone so horribly wrong? Is it wrong for him to want Claire?

Claire tries to comfort him and calm his doubts. She assures Jamie that she wanted to come to him. He did not take her away from her life with Brianna. They are exhausted, but too despondent to stop and rest.

From the time we met Young Ian, have you had the feeling that a dark cloud hangs over him and producing danger at every opportunity?

Do you agree with Jamie pursuing Young Ian without notifying Jenny of these events?

Jamie and Claire make their way from the coast to Inverness for the previously arranged passage to France. Jamie’s only plan is to seek assistance from Jared to identify the kidnapping ship and try to rescue Young Ian.

Pauline
Clan Fraser

12:14 AM - Oct 10, 2011 #2

I think that it was Jamie who said that Ian reminded him of Claire in that bad things always seem to happen when he's around. Jamie seems to go into a self-loathing funk when all of this happens as if all of this happened because he wanted Claire and she was finally back. He goes into this whole "I don't deserve happiness and when it appears, something bad happens to those around me" but bad things happened to Jamie before Claire appeared in his life and also while she was away. He has a certain destiny that those around him are swept into.

I can't really blame him for hightailing it to France to find the most knowledgeable person he knows who can track any ship and provide him with the means to follow it. There's no time for going back to Lallybroch and losing time.

sassenach
Clan Fraser Veteran
sassenach
Clan Fraser Veteran

7:29 AM - Oct 11, 2011 #3

I think Jamie was right to go straight to the one person who could help - going back to Lallybroch would have slowed their progress considerably, and wouldn't have achieved anything.

I think Jamie always feels guilt when something goes wrong - and he DID promise to look after Ian - and no doubt telling Jenny before he found Ian would have been pointless - we've already seen Jenny's wrath !!
"It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach"

“Sassenach." He had called me that from the first; the Gaelic word for outlander, a stranger. An Englishman. First in jest, then in affection.”

My Book Blog

11:02 AM - Oct 11, 2011 #4

This was a different time. Boys and girls were considered men and women long before they are now. This would be unthinkable today. During those days it was different.

Pauline
Clan Fraser

1:03 AM - Oct 12, 2011 #5

highlandheather wrote:This was a different time. Boys and girls were considered men and women long before they are now. This would be unthinkable today. During those days it was different.
That's a good point. Ian is about 15 I think at this time and would have been considered a man at 16 ready for higher education which Jamie was considering in his request to take him to France.

audiobooklover
Clan Fraser

2:49 AM - Oct 13, 2011 #6

I agree that it made sense to head straight in search of information to try to find the ship and Ian with it. Taking time away to go back to Lallybroch could have made it even more difficult to track. And, I certainly wouldn't have wanted to face Jenny and Ian at that point. Ian may be close to adulthood in that time, but he is still their youngest child, so even if he were 30, they'd be upset to hear he was kidnapped and possibly hurt and no one knows where he is or how to get him back.

Jamie certainly takes a lot of guilt onto himself. He could never have foreseen this event, but I don't think it happened because he was happy to have Claire back. Ian was a trouble-magnet even before Claire's return, so I don't think the events are related and clearly neither does Claire.

This was quite an unexpected turn of events and a definite shift in the story. ;)

Lisa SF
Clan Fraser

2:28 PM - Oct 13, 2011 #7

audiobooklover wrote: This was quite an unexpected turn of events and a definite shift in the story. ;)
Absolutely! Without the events of this chapter, the entire series would have gone in a different direction. And poor Jamie might have been spare an ocean crossing! :lol:

Interesting to imagine how their lives might have turned out if they'd successfully gotten the treasure, went and settled down in France for a few years, then returned to live at Lallybroch. Certainly a lot less drama. Although -- given the fact that all three of them attract danger wherever they go -- I'm sure they'd still wind up in at least one life-threatening situation per year.

I agree, as well, that there was no way for Jamie to have foreseen what happened to Ian. Jenny and Ian would be devastated, of course, but they agreed to let Ian go, as they had agreed with their two older boys. Everything that happens is not Jamie's fault! Now, if only someone could convince Jamie of that.
"There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books." - Irving Stone

Just another reader with a blog... check it out here.

2:14 AM - Jun 15, 2014 #8

I love how excited Ian was to be doing this initiation ceremony into manhood, after all hadn't his brothers done it when they were a year older than him - I can just see his chest puffed out with pride.

With all the talk of how misty it was - thanks to awesome descriptions by DG of course! I was a little concerned that he might get lost, either not being able to see the island from the base of Ellen's tower or in fact getting there but then not being able to pinpoint the return route through the mists. But alas that was the least of our worries!

Is it me or have Jamie and Claire not had the "do you plan on sticking around now, Claire" talk? I mean is this just implied after she healed him? I'm thinking they are pretty casual upon the hill really.

Did you feel the huge energy rush as the aforementioned roller coaster whooshed down into another valley? Talk about adrenaline surge as DG picks up the pace once again and has us sitting on the edge of our seats by the last line in the chapter, that we of course, feel compelled to turn the page into the next chapter eagerly awaiting the first steps in our hunt for Ian.

I must admit I had thought for some reason that they would get the goodies, then go back to LB, then pack for their trip to France, I had no notion that they were planning on heading straight off for their trip to France. So it was a bit of surprise that they headed that way and not back to tell Jenny and Ian Sr. What the hell had happened....although I would not be Jamie at this point in time for quids! Nor the unlucky chap that gets to deliver that message!

1:02 AM - May 02, 2018 #9

(First time poster!) 1. If a boat could get to the island, why didn't they just do that??? 2. I know they couldn't just show up at home with a bunch of booty, but why didn't they just move the whole treasure (with a boat, perhaps?) and hide it somewhere easier for them to get to instead of making several dangerous trips (swims) for small portions of it? 3. Why couldn't he have sent Jenny a letter from France?

I'm afraid that after this chapter and the next few that I've read, this series is starting to lose me. (I'm still trying to get over him marrying the girl who tried to kill Claire! Seriously? There was NO ONE else available? Shame on Jenny for that, too.) Why should I continue reading after this book? I'm struggling to finish this one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1:12 AM - May 02, 2018 #10

OutlanderNewbie wrote:(First time poster!) 1. If a boat could get to the island, why didn't they just do that??? 2. I know they couldn't just show up at home with a bunch of booty, but why didn't they just move the whole treasure (with a boat, perhaps?) and hide it somewhere easier for them to get to instead of making several dangerous trips (swims) for small portions of it? 3. Why couldn't he have sent Jenny a letter from France?

I'm afraid that after this chapter and the next few that I've read, this series is starting to lose me. (I'm still trying to get over him marrying the girl who tried to kill Claire! Seriously? There was NO ONE else available? Shame on Jenny for that, too.) Why should I continue reading after this book? I'm struggling to finish this one.

I see in the next chapter summary that he wrote a letter. Must have missed that before.

2:23 AM - May 03, 2018 #11

OutlanderNewbie wrote:

If it makes you feel any better, Jamie does not know at this point about L's involvement in the witch trial that nearly killed Claire. But I'm with you on extreme disapproval of that match and Jenny's part in it (to say the least).

There are a few threads on here that address some of these issues as well as others of Jamie's character in this book and the struggle to go on reading.. Not sure how far you've read though, so you may encounter some spoilers with those since I think they're open to all of Voyager.

After the excitement of finally seeing J&C reunited, I experienced serious frustration at all the twists that came immediately afterwards (Willoughby, brothel, smuggling, L?!?!) BUT I feel like the second half of the book gets back to the heart of J&C's relationship & adventures as we know and love it and was totally worth it for me (not to mention the subsequent books which are great also)

In response to your other questions, I have no real answer since they are all very practical points! I was going to say they wouldn't have immediate access to a boat, but L's alimony wasn't due in any extreme rush (other than Jamie just wanted to be done with it). Maybe a boat would have drawn too much attention? I think they would be too afraid of theft or suspicion if they were to move the treasure. And DG just needed to throw us for another loop I guess!

Happy reading, I hope you choose to continue on and further discuss with us here!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Woman was made of Adam's rib; not made out of his head to rule over him, nor out of his feet to be trampled upon by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be beloved - Matthew Henry