July 12th, 2018, 5:25 pm #151

I just checked it out of the library and I was glad that was the only commitment that I made! I think they selected an artist who would work cheap rather than one who would be faithful to the characters and story! I remember reading in Diana's forum when it was open on CompuServ that she asked him to keep Claire's breasts the same size they started out being because they kept growing to ridiculous proportions. Knowing her, she probably had more to say to him, but bit her tongue on the forum so that her criticism wouldn't hurt sales!
The minister's cat is a camstairy cat.

NigheanDubh
Clan Fraser

July 13th, 2018, 12:05 am #152

Vala, I bet you're right about Diana biting her tongue.  I think it's been said in this thread that the graphic novel was geared to reach other audiences.  I'm not sure the artist was cheap.  I can't imagine not having the money to hire a strong artist, one more in tune with the novels.  The other audiences might not have cared either that Jamie's face seemed to change throughout the novels.  

I haven't looked at Exile for a while and wished I had gotten it out of the library instead.  I do recall being disappointed.  Then again, I bring the jacket on my travels for the "exiled" thread, when I remember to do so.  
"'I wish to God,' said Gideon with mild exasperation, 'that you'd talk--just once--in prose like other people.'"
--Game of Kings

July 13th, 2018, 4:13 am #153

NigheanDubh wrote:Vala, I bet you're right about Diana biting her tongue.  I think it's been said in this thread that the graphic novel was geared to reach other audiences.  I'm not sure the artist was cheap.  I can't imagine not having the money to hire a strong artist, one more in tune with the novels.  The other audiences might not have cared either that Jamie's face seemed to change throughout the novels.  
I saw the post suggesting that the style was designed to draw in other readers besides the standard Outlander fans, but it just didn’t ring true to me. Scrolling back more, I saw Livitrump’s comment that her husband said the artist(s) probably were cheap, but also that teenage boys are the main consumers of graphic novels and they don’t have a strong ability to judge emotional nuances from facial expressions. It sounds like the artist chosen was the best of the selection pool at doing faces, but the bar seems to have been set pretty low!
The minister's cat is a camstairy cat.