TECH: Gallery of OBC custom smilies and how to use them

Lisa SF
Clan Fraser

August 18th, 2017, 3:12 am #1

With the new platform, the OBC's set of custom icons/smilies disappeared from the main posting pages, but we've found a work-around! Below is a gallery of the OBC's custom smilies. To add to a post:

- Select desired image, then copy. (Recommendation: Right-click on the image, then select copy -- no need to highlight).
- Go to your new post, click where you'd like the icon to display, then paste.
- We suggest keeping this topic open in a separate tab when you're posting, so you can easily switch back and forth.

The Tapatalk forum makes use of a library of emojis (click on the smiley face, top left in the menu bar) and you're welcome to use those as you wish. Also, please note that there are lots of sites out there with libraries of emojis, in case you're looking for something you don't see already built in.

The OBC mods are all pretty fond of our little group of smilies (especially the little bagpipe player)! We hope our members have fun with them too. Here are the OBC smilies:

Enjoy!
"There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books." - Irving Stone

Just another reader with a blog... check it out here.

Lady Jayne
Clan Fraser

August 18th, 2017, 3:17 am #2

Thanks, Lisa SF! It's so nice to have our original emoticons back. 

NigheanDubh
Clan Fraser
NigheanDubh
Clan Fraser

August 18th, 2017, 3:40 am #3

It's like familiar friends looking at those little emojis.  Well done, Lisa.  
"'I wish to God,' said Gideon with mild exasperation, 'that you'd talk--just once--in prose like other people.'"
--Game of Kings

DLT
Clan Fraser
DLT
Clan Fraser

August 18th, 2017, 6:21 am #4

Yay! 
I did it!

NigheanDubh
Clan Fraser
NigheanDubh
Clan Fraser

August 18th, 2017, 11:20 pm #5

I can't stop practicing.  I missed these emojis.   The little things we take for granted. Who'd have thought.  

Yay!
"'I wish to God,' said Gideon with mild exasperation, 'that you'd talk--just once--in prose like other people.'"
--Game of Kings

Anam-Charaid
Clan Fraser

August 18th, 2017, 11:49 pm #6

Ah...finally!

But the wine had been too strong for her, as it had for the others; and like the others she had stepped from the safe shores of friendship. She stood now in another country, whose sun burned and whose air was too rare for her breathing. Checkmate

NigheanDubh
Clan Fraser
NigheanDubh
Clan Fraser

August 18th, 2017, 11:54 pm #7

Anam-Charaid wrote:  Ah...finally!

--Game of Kings

audiobooklover
Clan Fraser

August 19th, 2017, 1:29 am #8

forum_data/forums.ou/outl/outlanderbook ... ies/70.gif
forum_data/forums.ou/outl/outlanderbook ... ies/62.gif

So glad to have our smilies back!  forum_data/forums.ou/outl/outlanderbook ... ies/85.gif

But, I followed the instructions and it didn't work.  Drat!  forum_data/forums.ou/outl/outlanderbook ... ies/71.gif

Not sure what I did wrong.  But, I'll just be over in the corner crying now. . .  *weeps*

NigheanDubh
Clan Fraser
NigheanDubh
Clan Fraser

August 19th, 2017, 3:00 am #9

I find that It works if you highlight the emoji you want in Lisa's OP of the Tech Gallery  of Smilies, click edit, click copy, go to your text and paste.  It's work for me every time.  You have a mac like I do.  It should work.  

I open and leave the tab open so I can go from text to smilie, and back to the text where I click paste. And voilá   You do have to play with the highlight, moving the finger on the tracking pad to get it highlighted just right.  That's how it worked for me. 
--Game of Kings

audiobooklover
Clan Fraser

August 19th, 2017, 3:20 am #10

That's what I did.  And, at least two teenagers in the house (one mine and one visitor) and it didn't work.  No idea why.

Lisa SF
Clan Fraser

August 19th, 2017, 4:32 am #11

ABL, the more complicated way to do it would be to right-click the image, click View Image, copy the URL, and then use the image icon above the text box to insert. More steps, but it's worked for me that way as well as copying and pasting.
"There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books." - Irving Stone

Just another reader with a blog... check it out here.

August 19th, 2017, 7:20 am #12

So basically we should be able to copy paste the emoticons. What about the color highlights? They've disappeared too and I used to find them quite useful.
Da mi basia mille, deinde centum, dein mille altera, dein secunda centum, deinde usque altera mille, deinde centum.

Donne-moi mille baisers, et puis cent, et puis mille autres, puis une seconde fois cent, puis encore mille autres, puis cent.

audiobooklover
Clan Fraser

August 19th, 2017, 12:05 pm #13

Well, that worked (sticking the url in the image box), but I can't imagine I'll want to do that all that much.  Makes me sad that it's not working easily. . . 

NigheanDubh
Clan Fraser
NigheanDubh
Clan Fraser

August 19th, 2017, 4:06 pm #14

audiobooklover wrote: Well, that worked (sticking the url in the image box), but I can't imagine I'll want to do that all that much.  Makes me sad that it's not working easily. . . 

I copied and pasted from your emojis just now.  I have a MacBook Air.  I don't think it's the computer though.  When copying you do have to leave the blue shadow on top of the image.   I keep my finger on the track pad as I use my right hand index finger to cover the image in blue shade.  I leave it shaded in the blue, then click Edit for copy and then paste.  Settings, maybe.  It's so easy.  I'm sad it's not working for you.  Sometimes you have to go further left of the image to get the transparent shade of blue to appear in order to cover the image.  
--Game of Kings

Anam-Charaid
Clan Fraser

August 19th, 2017, 4:09 pm #15

I agree with ND. If the blue shadow doesn't form when you swipe left to right, try the reverse. It can be a bit touchy. It works though.  

But the wine had been too strong for her, as it had for the others; and like the others she had stepped from the safe shores of friendship. She stood now in another country, whose sun burned and whose air was too rare for her breathing. Checkmate