STARZ: Episode Excitement & General Chit-chat

Lisa SF
Clan Fraser

6:47 PM - Aug 13, 2014 #1

Please use this thread to share your excitement (like "can't wait for the next episode") or other general comments about watching the episodes!

The threads on the specific episodes (such as "Episode 101" or "Episode 101: Book to Screen") should be used for discussing the episodes themselves.

Please consider this the place to share more general reactions, feelings, comments, etc.

Ready, set, go!
"There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books." - Irving Stone

Just another reader with a blog... check it out here.

1:59 PM - Aug 15, 2014 #2

I can't wait!
She's back, she's at the castle... So excited.

2:14 PM - Aug 15, 2014 #3

I'm super excited for epi 2! My son and his girlfriend said they're going to start watching the series too. Yay, two more potential converts!! Having Ron Moore's stamp of approval definitely helped my cause to get them interested in watching the show.

"You can't go back home to your family, back home to your childhood, back home to a young man's dreams of glory and of fame, back home to places in the country...back home to the escapes of Time and Memory." ~Thomas Wolfe

5:57 PM - Aug 15, 2014 #4

My husband admitted he was going to watch the first one again before Saturday, he enjoyed it that much. He's read through DOA I think, so he knows what he's in for and is looking forward to it, too.
Although he's working tomorrow night, so I'll be watching alone. Which is AOK. I'm still pretty uptight about interruptions!

12:59 PM - Aug 16, 2014 #5

I'm ready and waiting with my new subscription to Starz!
Jerry

"Aye, I believe ye, Sassenach. But it would ha' been a good deal easier if you'd only been a witch."

Suec
Clan Fraser
Suec
Clan Fraser

1:00 PM - Aug 16, 2014 #6

Do enjoy it Jerry, shall be looking forward to everyone's comments later.

1:18 PM - Aug 16, 2014 #7

Tomorrow is today and I'm ready with my new subscription to Starz! I plan to view Episode 101 Sassenach again before 9 PM.
Jerry

"Aye, I believe ye, Sassenach. But it would ha' been a good deal easier if you'd only been a witch."

1:22 PM - Aug 16, 2014 #8

Wish you were here to see it, Suec. Don't give up. The first year can still be sold by Sony to a UK broadcasting company. As I recall at least one of the countries will not have its showing until the Spring as I recall.
Jerry

1:48 PM - Aug 16, 2014 #9

If you're a fan of historical fiction, Jerry, and since you're a new Starz subscriber, you may want to check out the mini series, "The White Queen". It's based on a compilation of three books by Phillipa Gregory, and it's being shown on Comcast OnDemand. I'm not sure how it works with other subscription services though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_ ... TV_series)
The White Queen is a British television drama series in ten parts, based on Philippa Gregory's historical novel series The Cousins' War (The White Queen, The Red Queen and The Kingmaker's Daughter).[4] The first episode was premiered on BBC One on 16 June 2013 in the United Kingdom.[5] It was first broadcast in the United States on Starz on 9 August 2013.[6][7]

Set against the backdrop of the Wars of the Roses, the series is the story of the women caught up in the protracted conflict for the throne of England. It starts in 1464—the nation has been at war for nine years fighting over who is the rightful King of England, as two sides of the same family, the House of York and the House of Lancaster, are in violent conflict over the throne. The story focuses on three women in their quest for power, as they manipulate behind the scenes of history — Elizabeth Woodville, Margaret Beaufort and Anne Neville.[8] Woodville is the central character in the novel The White Queen, whilst Beaufort and Neville are the focus of the novels The Red Queen and The Kingmaker's Daughter respectively; however, all three characters appear in all three novels that went to make up the television series.

"You can't go back home to your family, back home to your childhood, back home to a young man's dreams of glory and of fame, back home to places in the country...back home to the escapes of Time and Memory." ~Thomas Wolfe

Anam-Charaid
Clan Fraser

7:27 PM - Aug 16, 2014 #10

I enjoyed The White Queen last season, although there were a few faux pas in the production that could have been avoided. Specifically with details that were totally contemporary. I will not comment to avoid spoilers. If you catch them, then you have a good "eye".

But the wine had been too strong for her, as it had for the others; and like the others she had stepped from the safe shores of friendship. She stood now in another country, whose sun burned and whose air was too rare for her breathing. Checkmate

sassenach
Clan Fraser Veteran
sassenach
Clan Fraser Veteran

7:32 PM - Aug 16, 2014 #11

Obviously I can't share in your anticipation for the broadcast of episode 2 but I hope it meets everyone's expectations.

Happy Viewing :bigsmile:
"It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach"

“Sassenach." He had called me that from the first; the Gaelic word for outlander, a stranger. An Englishman. First in jest, then in affection.”

My Book Blog

9:27 PM - Aug 16, 2014 #12

Anam-Charaid wrote:I enjoyed The White Queen last season, although there were a few faux pas in the production that could have been avoided. Specifically with details that were totally contemporary. I will not comment to avoid spoilers. If you catch them, then you have a good "eye".
hmmm...I feel there's a hint in your post. :lol: Too bad we don't have spoiler tags to make a reply invisible unless you scroll over it. I didn't catch the production faux pas. If it's not too much trouble, please PM me. I'm curious. :thinking:

I read the books after the series aired. They were loosely based on history, but the author did give persuasive and imaginative arguments as to the fate of the two young princes.

I just saw a publicity photo from Downton Abbey with a water bottle setting on the fireplace mantle. :oops!:

motherofprayer
Clan Fraser

2:57 AM - Aug 17, 2014 #13

Just watched the second episode at my mother in law's with my husband since she has cable and Starz and we do not. It was very good and can't wait for the rest of the season.... to see what happens. (even though I know what happens I continue to be curious as to how the episodes will tell the story.)

1:49 PM - Aug 17, 2014 #14

I've been extremely pleased with the series so far. Sure there are a few variables from the book, but we're talking different media and variations are bound to be found. So far IMO they've been fairly minor and have often advanced the story. Just imagine the whipping scene taking as long as it did and the death of Jamie's father in the book as an example of a good variation.
Last edited by JerryT on 12:39 PM - Aug 18, 2014, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry

5:03 PM - Aug 17, 2014 #15

motherofprayer wrote:Just watched the second episode at my mother in law's with my husband since she has cable and Starz and we do not.
If your MIL is willing to share, you may be able to watch via STARZ on demand, on your pc, laptop, etc... in the comfort of your own home. ;)