sassenach
Clan Fraser Veteran
sassenach
Clan Fraser Veteran

April 21st, 2012, 4:16 pm #61

Interesting chat about accents. My next door neighbour is Scottish,so I hear his accent frequently and in my part of the north of England it isn't unusual to hear Scots accents.

I'm still unsure about Davina Porter - her accent isn't what I have in my head when either Claire or Jamie speak, but I do agree that she reads the story very well....it's just her accents I don't always enjoy.
"It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach"

“Sassenach." He had called me that from the first; the Gaelic word for outlander, a stranger. An Englishman. First in jest, then in affection.”

My Book Blog

April 21st, 2012, 6:14 pm #62

sassenach wrote:Interesting chat about accents. My next door neighbour is Scottish,so I hear his accent frequently and in my part of the north of England it isn't unusual to hear Scots accents.

I'm still unsure about Davina Porter - her accent isn't what I have in my head when either Claire or Jamie speak, but I do agree that she reads the story very well....it's just her accents I don't always enjoy.
That's too bad. Accents are a big part of the whole series, with english, scottish, a bit of irish and a few american ones as well. An accent professional as reader would be a good idea :)
For of all the words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these - it might have been

Laura
Clan Fraser

April 23rd, 2012, 1:00 am #63

Imma0505 wrote:Umm, nooo... :huh: Is the thumb's up-icon for PM:s? I have recieved PMs before but none from you now though. There's an icon for PMs down on the left side. Oh I'm confused now. I think I'll go have another look at my control panel.
When you hit the THUMBS UP icon on the bottom right it sends a PM to the member who wrote the post with 'Thanks for the Message' in the subject line. The interior of the PM has a link like this:

Thanks for the message.

If you click on the link it will take you to the message for which you are being thanked. When you hit the icon, the message is sent immediately and you won't have a chance to add any comments. The PM button on the bottom left allows you to PM a member but write whatever you want.

To accept Thank You PMs, your control panel has to be set to allow them. Go to:

1) User Control Panel
2) Board Preferences
3) Edit Global Settings
4) Notify me if someone thanks my post

I'm going to send you a Thank You PM now. Let me know if it doesn't come through...
The Ultimate Guide to Dorothy Dunnett's THE GAME OF KINGS available here.

April 23rd, 2012, 11:41 am #64

Laura wrote:
Imma0505 wrote:Umm, nooo... :huh: Is the thumb's up-icon for PM:s? I have recieved PMs before but none from you now though. There's an icon for PMs down on the left side. Oh I'm confused now. I think I'll go have another look at my control panel.
When you hit the THUMBS UP icon on the bottom right it sends a PM to the member who wrote the post with 'Thanks for the Message' in the subject line. The interior of the PM has a link like this:

Thanks for the message.

If you click on the link it will take you to the message for which you are being thanked. When you hit the icon, the message is sent immediately and you won't have a chance to add any comments. The PM button on the bottom left allows you to PM a member but write whatever you want.

To accept Thank You PMs, your control panel has to be set to allow them. Go to:

1) User Control Panel
2) Board Preferences
3) Edit Global Settings
4) Notify me if someone thanks my post

I'm going to send you a Thank You PM now. Let me know if it doesn't come through...
It's in! :thanks: !!
For of all the words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these - it might have been

Laura
Clan Fraser

April 23rd, 2012, 1:04 pm #65

Imma0505 wrote:It's in! :thanks: !!
Excellent! I've still got more Scotland photos to add to my Edinburgh thread - I shall try to do that today. :flower:

April 23rd, 2012, 1:50 pm #66

Laura wrote:
Imma0505 wrote:It's in! :thanks: !!
Excellent! I've still got more Scotland photos to add to my Edinburgh thread - I shall try to do that today. :flower:
Nice!

I've talked to my mom on the phone today and we're going to have a looong talk on wednesday to try to put a plan together. So many things to see and so little time :aargh:

Laura
Clan Fraser

May 7th, 2012, 2:54 pm #67

I can say our 4 full days in Edinburgh weren't nearly enough. A friend just returned from 10 days and she said they weren't enough! I'm convinced the only solution to this dilemma is to rent a cottage for the summer and just LIVE there!

May 7th, 2012, 6:23 pm #68

So it's safe to say that the one day we have planned for Edinburgh is no way near enough...! We know we're going to have to come back. Already now we feel that one week is just silly for all that we want to see. A cottage for a whole summer is really something to dream about :)

May 7th, 2012, 9:32 pm #69

Laura wrote:I can say our 4 full days in Edinburgh weren't nearly enough. A friend just returned from 10 days and she said they weren't enough! I'm convinced the only solution to this dilemma is to rent a cottage for the summer and just LIVE there!
Oh wouldn't that just be lovely to rent a cottage for the summer?! A song in my head right now
"Dream Dream Dream, Dreeeeeeaaaam."
Love to Live & Live to Love

Laura
Clan Fraser

May 11th, 2012, 3:17 pm #70

Imma0505 wrote:So it's safe to say that the one day we have planned for Edinburgh is no way near enough...! We know we're going to have to come back. Already now we feel that one week is just silly for all that we want to see. A cottage for a whole summer is really something to dream about :)
If you plan carefully and stick the main attractions in Edinburgh, you can definitely cover the Must-Sees in a day. It's a very walk-able city and the Outlander items are all within a mile or so of each other. A great site on Edinburgh is Edinburgh-Royal Mile: check out their old maps and pictures. I've never been able to find Carfax Close (where Jamie's print shop was located) but my guess is that it was up-street from George IV Bridge. It's impossible to miss the World's End pub (at St. Mary's Street) and, of course, Edinburgh Castle at the top and Holyrood Palace and Abbey at the bottom of the Royal Mile. The Old Tolbooth Prison was demolished in 1817.

May 11th, 2012, 11:25 pm #71

Get ready to do some walking! The last time I was there I had a back pack and I can tell you that there is some up hill walking!