SCOTLAND: Scotch Whisky

Post and share anything to do with Scotland.
TwilightTINK
Clan Fraser

January 7th, 2012, 2:46 am #61

I read the article to my DH who thinks he will pass...

January 7th, 2012, 12:00 pm #62

Is nothing sacred?

January 7th, 2012, 4:05 pm #63

Sacrilage! Our whisky exports are fairly healthy right now - we really don't need to be going down this route!

Laura
Clan Fraser

January 7th, 2012, 4:36 pm #64

I agree: sacrilege!
"They are opaque, they are completely airtight, and the liners are pretty darn good," said Lew Bryson, managing editor of Whisky Advocate magazine. "It is not going to be affecting the flavor. The problem you run into is who is going to bang out 12 ounces in an evening?"

Unlike bottles, cans cannot be closed after they have been opened. That will force Scottish Spirits drinkers to either finish all 8 shots of the blended scotch in a single occasion, or let some of the booze go to waste.
And, really, who can bang out 12 ounces in an evening (just the thought makes me ill) ... and it's a sin to waste good Scotch!
The Ultimate Guide to Dorothy Dunnett's THE GAME OF KINGS available here.

Lady Jayne
Clan Fraser

January 8th, 2012, 4:06 am #65

Laura wrote:I agree: sacrilege!
"They are opaque, they are completely airtight, and the liners are pretty darn good," said Lew Bryson, managing editor of Whisky Advocate magazine. "It is not going to be affecting the flavor. The problem you run into is who is going to bang out 12 ounces in an evening?"

Unlike bottles, cans cannot be closed after they have been opened. That will force Scottish Spirits drinkers to either finish all 8 shots of the blended scotch in a single occasion, or let some of the booze go to waste.
And, really, who can bang out 12 ounces in an evening (just the thought makes me ill) ... and it's a sin to waste good Scotch!
Even Jamie and Claire wouldn't be able to consume that much. :lol: Too much of a good thing can be a verra bad idea.

January 9th, 2012, 4:30 am #66

Not sure this is a good idea! Only 3 years old . . . and 12 ounces to boot? Yikes. Sounds like what Jamie may have set aside for his not-so-favorite customers, and Claire would have used for disinfecting!
I'm new to whisky tasting myself and my current favorite is The Macallan, 12-year-old single malt. Toffee and caramel notes, just delicious for sipping. And my, it certainly perks up the holiday eggnog!
Thanks for sharing this article, Lady Jayne.
"Holy God, " said James Fraser, who never took the name of his Lord in vain. Outlander

January 9th, 2012, 4:40 am #67

oh my goodness that is terrible outrageous......

January 9th, 2012, 6:05 am #68

It just seems wrong, verra verra wrong!
Love to Live & Live to Love

sassenach
Clan Fraser Veteran
sassenach
Clan Fraser Veteran

January 9th, 2012, 4:59 pm #69

Not one for the whisky purists...

I got these in the supermarket the other day - well I couldn't walk past could I ????

Haggis Crisps

:rotfl:
"It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach"

“Sassenach." He had called me that from the first; the Gaelic word for outlander, a stranger. An Englishman. First in jest, then in affection.”

My Book Blog

January 9th, 2012, 6:16 pm #70

pfft! a can, i wonder if it would give it that matellic taste??

i think i'll pass (mind you i did try the cans of Jack Daniels and lemonade - that was pretty good)

I'm good with Glenmorangie. mmmmm, it is so good on ice.

TwilightTINK
Clan Fraser

January 9th, 2012, 6:23 pm #71

One of my hubby's favs is Springbank 15. Loves the stuff.

For those wanting to get into Scotch and become a connoisseur - there is a new website that will walk you through the finer points. It is designed for the ipad (not an app though) that will allow you to sample with your friends, record each's thoughts, etc.

Check it out - looks interesting - it is called Proof.

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1665757/pro ... onnoisseur

Lady Jayne
Clan Fraser

January 9th, 2012, 9:34 pm #72

Thank for the link, Tink. Will do.

Lady Jayne
Clan Fraser

January 9th, 2012, 9:37 pm #73

sassenach wrote:Not one for the whisky purists...

I got these in the supermarket the other day - well I couldn't walk past could I ????

Haggis Crisps

:rotfl:
We're they any good? We could have a Scottish picnic with the canned Scotch and haggis crisps. :lol:

Thistle
Clan Fraser Veteran

January 9th, 2012, 10:18 pm #74

The haggis crisps I would try. Actually sound kinda good. The scotch in a can....not so much!

January 11th, 2012, 12:51 am #75

Lady Jayne wrote:All you Scotch drinkers may get a kick out of this new method of drinking Scotch.

Click here for the link to the full article. Cheers, or should I say Slainte!

After wine, now this.... :x there is no end to consumerism.
I am officially :aargh:
Is there a petitions somewhere that can be signed in order to stop spreading this trend?