SCOTLAND: Scotch Whisky

Post and share anything to do with Scotland.

October 1st, 2010, 12:52 pm #16

Anam-Charaid wrote:I am a big fan of Oban Single Malt, from the Western Highlands. However, after my visit to Scotland I have learned to appreciate the peat smoke flavor of the Islay Single Malts. Lagavulin and Laphroaig being the strongest. Not for everyone though. I enjoy drinking Bowmore from time to time, it's not one of the original Single Malts, but it has great peatiness to it. For those who prefer a more traditional and mellow flavor Dalwhinnie can't be beat.

And please tell me....where did they find him??????? :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: Leave it to Sharon Stone to enjoy the best always.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y52pJhSn ... re=related

But wait, this one is even more hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLyyrLC3 ... re=related
the second one is a HOOT!

Actually, the hot Scotsman in the Sharon Stone one is a Belgian gent. My best friend is married to a guy from Belgium and from what I've seen, they only make them hot over there. :thud:
BAZINGA

October 1st, 2010, 2:08 pm #17

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
I love that second one!

February 5th, 2011, 6:23 pm #18

I like Glenfiddich, Laphroaig, or The Glenlivet.
"...I like the way the light moves in your eyes;like whiskey, when ye pour it on a haggis and then set it on fire."

February 5th, 2011, 8:56 pm #19

We just got a bottle of Dalmore and I love it. I prefer the highland whisky myself, especially if it is from Ross-shire. (I could be bias). Balblair, Glenmorangie 10, and Old Pulteney are favorites. I don't think you can get Balblair in the US yet, but DH brings it back for me.

DH prefers the peaty, smokey Islay malts- he likes Bowmore, Singleton, and Laphroaig. He likes to bring whisky back from London that we cannot get here in the states, he has a malt from the Isle of Arran that he really likes, but I can't remember what it is called.

TwilightTINK
Clan Fraser

February 9th, 2011, 8:55 pm #20

My DH is a lover of Scotch. For home he likes the Speysides but when we are out, he tends towards the Islays. He says he thinks he would get tired of the real peaty ones if he had them regularly but likes them on occasion. For our 25th last year, I got him a nice reserve cask Duncan & ___(all of a sudden I can't remember the name) but it was a 25 year for our 25th and bottle #44 which is the age he was at the time. He still has some of it and loves it.

We would love to bring it back from Europe but with TSA being such a pain, we haven't done it yet.

February 10th, 2011, 1:37 am #21

TwilightTINK wrote: We would love to bring it back from Europe but with TSA being such a pain, we haven't done it yet.
DH buys the whisky at Heathrow Airport duty free. It's not the best deal, but worth avoiding the hassle of TSA.

February 10th, 2011, 2:11 am #22

Lady Ross, buying the bottles of liquor at the "duty free shop" is probably the safest way to go, but it makes me SO ANGRY because the travelers are held hostage to those prices!!!! (I LOVE to shop around and find a "good deal!")

Tink, when we went to visit my family in Norway, I wrapped each bottle separately in some newspaper, and put it in a ziploc bag, and rolled a sweater around it. 2 bottles in my suitcase, and 2 bottles in my DH's suitcase, and NO BREAKAGE! I kept the ziploc bags, and right before we came back to the USA, I did the same thing with 2 bottles of my dad's favorite local liqueur, and NO BREAKAGE and NO problems with TSA! Maybe I was just lucky?!

February 10th, 2011, 2:27 am #23

jamie'swife wrote:Lady Ross, buying the bottles of liquor at the "duty free shop" is probably the safest way to go, but it makes me SO ANGRY because the travelers are held hostage to those prices!!!! (I LOVE to shop around and find a "good deal!")

Tink, when we went to visit my family in Norway, I wrapped each bottle separately in some newspaper, and put it in a ziploc bag, and rolled a sweater around it. 2 bottles in my suitcase, and 2 bottles in my DH's suitcase, and NO BREAKAGE! I kept the ziploc bags, and right before we came back to the USA, I did the same thing with 2 bottles of my dad's favorite local liqueur, and NO BREAKAGE and NO problems with TSA! Maybe I was just lucky?!
You were lucky! On my last Euro trip (Italy) I packed three bottles of limoncello and two bottles of Montalcino. None survived. It ruined absolutely everything in my bag. I've tried having a designated bottle bag, with dirty clothes, with some success.

DH would rather pay the airport prices than risk his work clothes and uniform, which is why he does it. Uniforms are verra hard to replace. I can't fathom DH telling his superior that he needs a new uniform because of an accident involving whisky... :rotfl:

TwilightTINK
Clan Fraser

February 10th, 2011, 2:31 am #24

We have had several people who reported having it stolen out of their luggage by TSA so that is why we are leery. Maybe we should try it again.

February 10th, 2011, 2:53 am #25

BeauSoleil wrote:Can I put this here too coz it's so damn good and it's whiskey related!!
I originally posted it in the Casting Call--Robert Carlyle for Murtagh.

Wow...that is 6 minutes of beautiful listening. :) *sigh*
Yes, Robert Carlyle is my Murtagh as well.

I REALLY wish I could drink Scotch, but my husband always laughs at the face I make when I try it. :aargh:

:bagpipe:

February 10th, 2011, 2:54 am #26

Lady Ross wrote:
I can't fathom DH telling his superior that he needs a new uniform because of an accident involving whisky...
That's hysterical. . . as long as it never happens to him! :rotfl:

Well, I guess I never realized HOW lucky I was because none of this stuff (breakage OR theft) has ever happened to me. Now you girls have me worried! :worry: I guess when I'm getting ready to return back to the USA, I'll just have to drink everything BEFORE I leave! :rotfl:

February 10th, 2011, 3:07 am #27

I REALLY wish I could drink Scotch, but my husband always laughs at the face I make when I try it.
Yup, Sassynach, the same thing happens to me! I try, but my DH just laughs as well!
Last edited by jamie'swife on February 10th, 2011, 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 10th, 2011, 3:08 am #28

jamie'swife wrote: Well, I guess I never realized HOW lucky I was because none of this stuff (breakage OR theft) has ever happened to me. Now you girls have me worried! :worry: I guess when I'm getting ready to return back to the USA, I'll just have to drink everything BEFORE I leave! :rotfl:
Drinking a little extra sounds like a good life choice to me. :rotfl:

February 10th, 2011, 3:31 am #29

jamie'swife wrote:
I REALLY wish I could drink Scotch, but my husband always laughs at the face I make when I try it.
Yup, Sassynach, the same thing happens to me! I try, but my DH just laughs as well!
My husband is a Bourbon drinker. I bought him some Scotch, and he didn't care for it. I tried it, and it couldn't tell a whole lot of difference between the two. Both burn like a son of a gun going down. I'm sure I make some pretty funny faces when I down a shot. There's no sipping for me; that just prolongs the agony.

As far as traveling with liquor in my checked luggage, I've never had any problems...knock on wood. I wrap my bottles, and place them in a large zip lock. There are also special protective bags you can buy for travel. I haven't tried those myself.

"You can't go back home to your family, back home to your childhood, back home to a young man's dreams of glory and of fame, back home to places in the country...back home to the escapes of Time and Memory." ~Thomas Wolfe

February 10th, 2011, 6:52 am #30

I love whisky (hence my avatar) though I haven't had the chance to try many varieties, but I do love the Johnnie Walker brand, especially the Blue Label. I was introduced to it by my Brother-in-law and I just kind of stuck to it. I would love to explore more, but I would like to have a knowledgeable person to teach me, someone like Jamie (hehehe). Hmm. With his trained palette..... <sigh>