SCOTLAND: Member Visits to Scotland

2:18 AM - Sep 29, 2009 #1

I've been twice - unfortunately both trips were a lifetime ago.

The first time was when I was 17. I was with my parents. They didn't believe in actually planning trips - they preferred the "seat of your pants" type. We ended up in Edinburgh, in the midst of the Fringe arts and theatre festival without a place to stay. Fortunately, a cabbie found helped us find a bed and breakfast on the outskirts of town. I remember going to the tattoo at Edinburgh castle and freezing my booty off - we had prepared for Scottish weather and had only shorts and sandals with us!

On that same trip we visited Uddingston, outside Glasgow, the town where my paternal grandparents were born and lived until the year before my father was born. Dad managed to reconnect with one of his cousins and her son.

Six years later, I returned to Scotland after graduating from college. I stayed with my cousin in Uddingston for a few days. I also went as far north as the Kyle of Localsh, but didn't make any further in the highlands. I loved Edinburgh. I did get to Loch Ness, Urquart Castle, Balmoral, Stirling, Inverness and I forget where else.

Thistle
Clan Fraser Veteran

2:28 AM - Sep 29, 2009 #2

Hippchick you are so lucky! Do you still stay in touch with your cousin?
Did you feel it? That magic of walking the same land as your ancestors?

TwilightTINK
Clan Fraser

3:51 PM - Sep 29, 2009 #3

It is on my to do list in the next few years. I got as close as London a few weeks ago.

8:57 PM - Sep 29, 2009 #4

Thistle wrote:Hippchick you are so lucky! Do you still stay in touch with your cousin?
Did you feel it? That magic of walking the same land as your ancestors?
It really was amazing to be there. I remember we went to the church where my grandparents had married. The priest pulled out the register book from their wedding and there were their signatures. Very surreal. However, my heritage is really more Irish than Scottish. My great-grandparents or great-great grandparents had emigrated from Ireland to Scotland. So, I actually felt more connected to my past when I went to Ireland than in Scotland. But, I really loved Scotland and would love to go back one of these days.

My dad stayed in touch. After he retired in 1990, he used to visit regularly - he and my mom usually went to Europe once or twice a year. Dad was retired military and as such was able to fly space available on military flights. So, he took full advantage of that perk after he retired from his second career. He also reconnected with another cousin and her son, from the opposite side of the family (the ones we visited were from my grandmother's side, the others from my grandfather's). There are also some cousins in the south of England - moved from Scotland to England.

Unfortunately, after my dad died, my family relationships sort of got screwy. Long story - short version is that my mom keeps in touch with them, but she doesn't keep in touch with me. :(

Anam-Charaid
Clan Fraser

7:18 AM - Oct 09, 2009 #5

hippchick wrote:Very surreal. However, my heritage is really more Irish than Scottish. My great-grandparents or great-great grandparents had emigrated from Ireland to Scotland. So, I actually felt more connected to my past when I went to Ireland than in Scotland. But, I really loved Scotland and would love to go back one of these days.
(
You know that I just got back from Scotland, and I absolutely loved it! Can't wait to go back, as a matter of fact DH and I have decided that when we go back we will avoid the big cities and concentrate more to the North East of Inverness and the outer Islands, the Hebrides and Orkneys.

That being said, just wanted to tell you one little thing I learned on this trip. The reason why Scotland is called so, it is because of the "Scoti" raiders from Ireland into what we know today as Scotland. Somewhere around the 4th or 5th century they established a foothold in the territory. The Scoti were called so by the Romans who ruled Britain at that time. They blended and married with the Picts and the rest is history. So your heritage is really all inter-related much more than you think. 8-)

But the wine had been too strong for her, as it had for the others; and like the others she had stepped from the safe shores of friendship. She stood now in another country, whose sun burned and whose air was too rare for her breathing. Checkmate

11:43 AM - Oct 09, 2009 #6

My daughter and I went to London and area and then up to Edinburgh in June. We loved Edinburgh and also went to Stirling (which was really neat and from which you can see Bannockburn). Unfortuneately we didn't have time to get into the highlands, but I really want to do that at some point.

sassenach
Clan Fraser Veteran
sassenach
Clan Fraser Veteran

1:03 PM - Dec 13, 2009 #7

I'm lucky in that Edinburgh is only about 200 miles or 330km away. I have visited Scotland several times, both Highlands, Lowlands and the Isles are all spectacularly beautiful in their own unique way. When I visited Edinburgh, I couldn't help but look for Jamie's print shop (V) and half expected to see A. Malcolm above a doorway....
There is still such a tremendous sense of history wherever you visit in Scotland, the people are really friendly..yes, even to a Sassenach like me !
I'm really envious of all you guys who have a better sense of American History, and who can picture Fraser's Ridge much better than I can.
"It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach"

“Sassenach." He had called me that from the first; the Gaelic word for outlander, a stranger. An Englishman. First in jest, then in affection.”

My Book Blog

Laura
Clan Fraser

4:46 PM - Dec 13, 2009 #8

sassenach ~ I'm jealous of your having been to Scotland!
You can see a few pictures of Fraser's Ridge here. I had the pleasure of attending a family reunion near the Ridge and can attest to it's beauty. The drive through the mountains was breathtaking.
The Ultimate Guide to Dorothy Dunnett's THE GAME OF KINGS available here.

sassenach
Clan Fraser Veteran
sassenach
Clan Fraser Veteran

11:07 AM - Dec 16, 2009 #9

Thanks for the link to Fraser's Ridge ..it looks stunning, the fall colours are beautiful.

Not strictly Scottish but you might like to see these...

I really should make the effort to visit this area in the English Lake District where Jamie lived when at Helwater. Whilst Helwater is fictitious... Ashness Bridge and Watendlath Tarn do exist ....they are probably just over an hour's drive away for me ...no excuse really!!

Watendlath Tarn

Ashness Bridge

“Sassenach." He had called me that from the first; the Gaelic word for outlander, a stranger. An Englishman. First in jest, then in affection.”

My Book Blog

sassenach
Clan Fraser Veteran
sassenach
Clan Fraser Veteran

4:23 PM - Feb 16, 2010 #10

A few Scottish mutterings .. :scottish:

I'm so lucky,because I live in Northern England ,Scotland really is only a couple of hours drive away, so it's been a nice place to go for short holidays.

I've been to Edinburgh and Glasgow, with Edinburgh being my favourite city. It's very vibrant in August when the Edinburgh festival is underway, and the city is very busy, with accomodation being at a premium. Its very historic, the castle is amazing and one can easily lose track of time wandering around the exhibits. The royal rooms are impressive, and the tiny anteroom where Mary Queen of Scots had her baby boy is beautifuly decorated and very evocative of the time. The Stone of Destiny is housed near the Royal buildings - this sassenach kept rather quiet here, as the English had previously stolen the stone and taken it to London !
St Margaret's chapel is quite beautiful in its simplicity and is used for very intimate weddings.The medieval gun Mons Meg is sounded every day at 1pm - it is very loud but well worth staying to listen !

Edinburgh Castle

No visit to Scotland is complete without a visit to Stirling castle and this remains my absolute favourite place. From the battlements you can look North to the highlands and East towards the Wallace memorial . My visit to Stirling was done as part of some research into our family history. My OH has a relative who was executed for treason outside the Tollbooth in the centre of Stirling. Stirling museum kindly (?) let us see the notorious axe used and the executioner's cloak. He was paid £20 to do the deed ...

Stirling Castle

I have a fascination for Mary Queen of Scots and have visited several places with an association with this ill fated Queen. She was born at Linlithgow Palace which is constructed from a pretty pink stone and was imprisoned in Loch Leven castle before being taken to England as a prisoner of Queen Elizabeth I. We visited Loch Leven quite late in the afternoon and were taken by boat onto the island. As it was quite late in the day OH and I had the castle and grounds to ourselves. It was a stunning setting with the sun going down over the Loch, and the evocative image of a woman imprisoned and alone, within sight of her home land.

Linlithgow Palace

I've visited the Scottish lowlands around Dumfries and Galloway, and crossed on the tiny ferry boats to the isles. It's a beautiful country ,full of lovely warm people, delicious food, and of course that wonderful accent which conjours up Jamie like nothing else ....all washed down with a wee dram or two of whisky. I read Dragonfly in Amber whilst on a Scottish holiday, you can imagine how good that was !!

I'm feeling quite nostalgic, I can feel another Scottish holiday coming on.... :bagpipe:

My Book Blog

NigheanDubh
Clan Fraser

10:32 PM - Feb 16, 2010 #11

Sassenach, thanks for your post. I am so jealous. I have been to England and Ireland but never to Scotland. My husband is Irish American and he would love to take a trip with me. My children are all for it. They love to travel. Now all we need is the money. I'll have to get information from you when the time comes.

All the places you've visited sound wonderful. They are inspiring.
Inverness and Culloden would be musts as well.
"'I wish to God,' said Gideon with mild exasperation, 'that you'd talk--just once--in prose like other people.'"
--Game of Kings

TwilightTINK
Clan Fraser

3:27 AM - Feb 17, 2010 #12

Scotland is on my list too so thanks sass for feeding that desire. Sounds wonderful

12:46 AM - Feb 18, 2010 #13

Sassenach thanks for the pics! I'm so jealous you live so close. I live all the way in California so that's just a lil bit longer of a trip to Scotland ;)

Your pics and stories are feeding my hunger to go study abroad over in Scotland! I definitely need to look into some programs soon.... and save up money.

Thistle
Clan Fraser Veteran

3:03 AM - Feb 18, 2010 #14

I can't imagine just being able to pop over to Scotland whenever you want. I am so jealous. Someday...............

1:47 AM - Feb 21, 2010 #15

wow, sassenach. Thank you for sharing! The websites are wonderful.