SCOTLAND: Funny run-in with a Scottish accent

Post and share anything to do with Scotland.

SCOTLAND: Funny run-in with a Scottish accent

November 5th, 2014, 9:51 am #1

I had a funny moment with a Scot yesterday and immediately thought of you folks.

I work in an international organization where English is the main working language so I am used to dealing with many different accents, but usually I have some clue from a person's name or appearance about what sort of accent to expect. I was not expecting anything unusual when I met a new colleague named MacDonald, by pale appearance likely to be UK/Commonwealth/North American. He had a lot of fresh bruises and scrapes on his arm and the side of his head, so after the briefest of polite preliminaries, in which I did not register any particularly thick accent, I asked him if he'd had a bike accident (also not unusual for new colleagues here).

"No, a soffing accident."
"A what?"
"Soffing."
"???"
"Suffing. With a suffboard."
" :oops: "

As the conversation progressed and his lovely Scottish accent rolled over me like thick porridge, I could only think, Oh those Outlander lassies would love this!
:scottish:

audiobooklover
Clan Fraser

November 5th, 2014, 2:51 pm #2

:lol: Yes, there are some things that are hard to catch with an accent. I love that you thought of us at the time. :bigsmile:

motherofprayer
Clan Fraser

November 5th, 2014, 3:16 pm #3

Lovely armbruster - thank you for sharing your story. It reminds me of an Outlander Around the Bend moment!!

Lisa SF
Clan Fraser

November 5th, 2014, 3:49 pm #4

:lol: Thanks for a good chuckle this morning, armbruster!!
"There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books." - Irving Stone

Just another reader with a blog... check it out here.

Anam-Charaid
Clan Fraser

November 8th, 2014, 1:52 pm #5

Loved reading the story, Armbruster. It reminded me of my difficulties understanding the accent during my last visit to Scotland. :lol: I tried to follow this gentleman's conversation with a store clerk. I was completely lost.

But the wine had been too strong for her, as it had for the others; and like the others she had stepped from the safe shores of friendship. She stood now in another country, whose sun burned and whose air was too rare for her breathing. Checkmate

November 8th, 2014, 2:17 pm #6

Almost 20 years ago, our family was in a line at Epcot in Disney World, and another family nearby was talking among themselves while we all moved along. My husband leaned into my ear and said, "Can you tell what language they're speaking?" I answered, "English. They're Scots." :bigsmile:

December 29th, 2016, 1:25 pm #7

This seems like a good spot to stick this funny video about Scottish accents. Hope the link works for you.

https://www.facebook.com/BBCScotland/?h ... NE&fref=nf
Da mi basia mille, deinde centum, dein mille altera, dein secunda centum, deinde usque altera mille, deinde centum.

Donne-moi mille baisers, et puis cent, et puis mille autres, puis une seconde fois cent, puis encore mille autres, puis cent.

December 29th, 2016, 1:54 pm #8

It sounded like they were saying "eleven" clearly enough to me!

Two days before Christmas, my husband and I went shopping in a nearby upscale town. We went in a shop that specializes in British goods. There was a fellow in there dressed in a kilt and accessories. He didn't even work there. He was just shopping. He alternated between a Southern US accent and a Scottish accent. I teased him that I wanted to take his picture and post it on an Outlander page! He replied that he wasn't near as braw as James Fraser! And that he was wearing a shirt! :lol:
The minister's cat is a camstairy cat.

December 29th, 2016, 4:46 pm #9

Vala wrote:He replied that he wasn't near as braw as James Fraser! And that he was wearing a shirt! :lol:
:lol: :lol: Pretty funny and obviously he knew who the character is! :flower:
Da mi basia mille, deinde centum, dein mille altera, dein secunda centum, deinde usque altera mille, deinde centum.

Donne-moi mille baisers, et puis cent, et puis mille autres, puis une seconde fois cent, puis encore mille autres, puis cent.

December 30th, 2016, 5:53 pm #10

Thanks to Outlander, Scots accents charm me instantly. :D
Girl Power run AMOK!!!

January 8th, 2017, 10:14 pm #11

While driving in to Edinburgh (11 years ago with my SIL) we stopped at a gas station to fill up and ask for directions to our Youth Hostel we were staying in. I walked in and thought I had just walked in to every 7/11 there was in Vancouver, because there was a South Asian (East Indian) behind the counter. When I asked him to tell me if we were on the road to Bruntisfield he said yes, and then started to give me directions to get there...in a VERY heavy Scottish accent! I had to give my head a shake because it just didn't compute; he was supposed to speak with an Indian accent, not Scottish! I must have looked so befuddled that someone else jumped in an relayed what he was saying to me in a more understandable Scottish accent. I hope I'm not so befuddled when we go there this spring! :lol:

January 9th, 2017, 8:33 pm #12

When what you see doesn't coordinate with what you hear ....