OCI: Illustrations in Outlandish Companion

OCI: Illustrations in Outlandish Companion

June 29th, 2012, 7:20 pm #1

I'm wondering if the illustrations in Outlandish Companion were all drawn by the same person, or if they are copyright free images, maybe from Dover publications. I would like to use some of them in needlework or embroidery, and don't want to step on anyone's toes. Rosemary

July 3rd, 2012, 3:46 pm #2

If they are content in the books, they are copywritten, just like a photo or words on a page.

You can use them for needlepoint for your own personal use. Ie, you want it as a wall hanging for your home, you think it will make a nice pillow, etc. You cannot sell them without explicit written permission from the author and/or publisher. Even content on Diana's blog and website would be considered copywritten-- so be careful what you use the images for. You can quote, with proper attribution. You can also satirize-- that is covered under free speech.

November 3rd, 2016, 3:24 pm #3

Rosemary, if you do make some needlework with the images PLEASE post it. I'd love to see what you make! :) I like to diddle with embroidery sporadically BUT really like seeing what real needlework artists are able to do. I saw on FB somewhere where someone was going to use the images from the Outlander coloring book to embroider and turn into a quilt (for personal use)...she was just getting started so she didn't have anything to show but the idea intrigued me!
Clara