June 1st, 2018, 11:46 am #1

How would you rate this book?

Total votes: 9
8(89%)
1(11%)
0(0%)
0(0%)
0(0%)

Li-yan and her family align their lives around the seasons and the farming of tea. There is ritual and routine, and it has been ever thus for generations. Then one day a jeep appears at the village gate—the first automobile any of them have seen—and a stranger arrives.

In this remote Yunnan village, the stranger finds the rare tea he has been seeking and a reticent Akha people. In her biggest seller, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, See introduced the Yao people to her readers. Here she shares the customs of another Chinese ethnic minority, the Akha, whose world will soon change. Li-yan, one of the few educated girls on her mountain, translates for the stranger and is among the first to reject the rules that have shaped her existence. When she has a baby outside of wedlock, rather than stand by tradition, she wraps her daughter in a blanket, with a tea cake hidden in her swaddling, and abandons her in the nearest city.

After mother and daughter have gone their separate ways, Li-yan slowly emerges from the security and insularity of her village to encounter modern life while Haley grows up a privileged and well-loved California girl. Despite Haley’s happy home life, she wonders about her origins; and Li-yan longs for her lost daughter. They both search for and find answers in the tea that has shaped their family’s destiny for generations.

384 pages; published 2017

Thanks to Lady Jayne, we will have the opportunity to have the author,  Lisa See,  participate in our book discussion.  We hope that you will submit questions prior to our opening the book to discussion on June 20.  You can pm either me or Lady Jayne and we will forward them to Lisa See.  If you haven't read her work in the past, you are in for a treat. Enjoy!

DISCUSSION OPENS JUNE 20

Lisa SF
Clan Fraser

June 1st, 2018, 2:11 pm #2

So excited to read this! Lisa See is such a wonderful author.
"There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books." - Irving Stone

Just another reader with a blog... check it out here.

June 1st, 2018, 4:39 pm #3

Just bought this on my Kindle- I have not read Lisa See's work before. I'm excited to discuss this BOTM with you guys (& the author herself, what a treat!) 
Woman was made of Adam's rib; not made out of his head to rule over him, nor out of his feet to be trampled upon by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be beloved - Matthew Henry

June 1st, 2018, 5:35 pm #4

I've read several of Lisa See's works including the Snowflower book. There were a few where she went into extreme detail about the foot binding rituals and they scared me off from continuing to read her. Reassure me that there isn't any foot binding here and maybe I'll look for it.
Da mi basia mille, deinde centum, dein mille altera, dein secunda centum, deinde usque altera mille, deinde centum.

Donne-moi mille baisers, et puis cent, et puis mille autres, puis une seconde fois cent, puis encore mille autres, puis cent.

audiobooklover
Clan Fraser

June 1st, 2018, 5:43 pm #5

I, too, am looking forward to reading this book and discussing it with all of you as well as with the author, which is always a great opportunity.  I've read several of Lisa See's books and discussed at least 3 in an in-person book group.  I'm next in line for the audio version from my library and hope to have it in good time to listen before discussion starts.

Pauline
Clan Fraser

June 2nd, 2018, 5:48 pm #6

Naomi wrote:I've read several of Lisa See's works including the Snowflower book. There were a few where she went into extreme detail about the foot binding rituals and they scared me off from continuing to read her. Reassure me that there isn't any foot binding here and maybe I'll look for it.
No feet binding in this book so read away. I think that I’ve read all her books and I went back and forth between recommending either this one or Peony in Love but this one is so uplifting at the end that I think that everyone will enjoy it. She does keep it real though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NigheanDubh
Clan Fraser

June 2nd, 2018, 10:16 pm #7

My book came in yesterday and I picked it up from the library.  So excited abut delving into this novel.  I'll wait till we get closer to the discussion so that the details will be fresh in my mind.  This is a new author for me as I've never read any of her work.  Looking forward to the discussion. 
"'I wish to God,' said Gideon with mild exasperation, 'that you'd talk--just once--in prose like other people.'"
--Game of Kings

June 4th, 2018, 12:57 pm #8

I just read it this year and loved it.  Am going to reread so it is fresh in my mind.  Enjoy, everyone!

June 8th, 2018, 6:31 pm #9

Well, I just got it so this will be my first time participating in a BOTM read.

I read several of Lisa See's books a few years ago. Peony in Love was the one that made the biggest impression on me. I'm interested in seeing this new one.
Da mi basia mille, deinde centum, dein mille altera, dein secunda centum, deinde usque altera mille, deinde centum.

Donne-moi mille baisers, et puis cent, et puis mille autres, puis une seconde fois cent, puis encore mille autres, puis cent.

audiobooklover
Clan Fraser

June 8th, 2018, 7:39 pm #10

I'm almost 2/3 of the way through the audio and I'm enjoying it.  :-)

I've never read Peony in Love, though I read several others by Lisa See, so I'll try to get to that at some point since you liked it, Naomi.

NigheanDubh
Clan Fraser

June 9th, 2018, 1:20 am #11

Naomi, I think I will read Peony in Love as well, based on your recommendation.  

I'm so glad to have been introduced this author.  
"'I wish to God,' said Gideon with mild exasperation, 'that you'd talk--just once--in prose like other people.'"
--Game of Kings

June 16th, 2018, 10:37 am #12

I started this book on Thursday and I had to force myself to put the book down so I could go to sleep. Finished it last night and dreamed all night about the story continued after the book ended.

Lady Jayne
Clan Fraser

June 16th, 2018, 4:22 pm #13

That sounds like a great reading experience, Naomi. I hope to have the book finished soon.

Please send along any questions you have for Lisa See to me or Pauline, and we will send them to her in advance of the book discussion.

June 16th, 2018, 8:24 pm #14

Hi Pauline,

I hope this is the right place to pose a question for Lisa See.  
What was your research process in writing this book and how long did it take to do this research?

NigheanDubh
Clan Fraser

June 17th, 2018, 10:23 pm #15

I loved it.  It's one of the best books I've read this year.  
--Game of Kings