GIFT AND CARD EXCHANGE: Book Swap Spring 2015

Share the holidays with other members.

GIFT AND CARD EXCHANGE: Book Swap Spring 2015

Lady Jayne
Clan Fraser

March 21st, 2015, 2:23 am #1

Join the Outlander Book Club for a Spring Book Swap!

If you are interested in exchanging a favorite book with an OBC member, please contact me via private message by May 1.

Please include the following information in your message:

1) A list of three to five of your favorite books

2) If there is a particular author or genre you do not care for

3) Your mailing address.

:read: The book does not need to be brand new and can be gently worn. Select a great summer/beach read based on the interests of the reader you are paired with for the swap.

Lady Jayne
Clan Fraser

March 24th, 2015, 1:18 pm #2

:read: Don't be shy about joining the book swap. It is a great way to get to know other OBC members. You can select a non-fiction book or biography as well. That is the beauty of books -- they can be shared and bring joy to other readers! :flower:

Lady Jayne
Clan Fraser

April 16th, 2015, 12:04 am #3

:bagpipe: Please send me a private message if you would like to participate in the book swap. There are some great new writers whose work I am sure others would like to explore. You can select a brand new book or one that is gently used. Feel free to contact me with any questions. Thanks!

Lady Jayne
Clan Fraser

April 29th, 2015, 1:15 pm #4

Spring is in the air and it's time to refresh your book shelves. :bagpipe: There is still time to sign up for the latest Book Swap on the OBC.

:flower: Please join us in spreading the love of your favorite books. The more, the merrier! :flower:

Please send me a private message by this weekend if you are interested. :)

Lady Jayne
Clan Fraser

May 4th, 2015, 1:13 pm #5

:bagpipe: Last call for the OBC Book Swap. :flower:

Lady Jayne
Clan Fraser

May 8th, 2015, 1:22 pm #6

:thanks: Thank you to everyone who is participating in this summer's book swap. I will be sending you information about who you will sending a book to this weekend. :flower:

Lady Jayne
Clan Fraser

May 14th, 2015, 12:30 pm #7

Everyone should know to whom they will be sending a book by now. Please feel free to share what you receive here. :flower:
Most importantly, have fun! :read:

May 14th, 2015, 2:30 pm #8

Thank you for organizing it all Lady Jayne! :flower:

Lady Jayne
Clan Fraser

May 22nd, 2015, 10:34 pm #9

It was my pleasure, dani lass.

I was excited to receive a book in the mail today from Claire-ah. It is Laura Kinsale's Midsummer Moon, which I have never read. I also receive two lovely bookmarks -- one with Sam as Jamie saying "Some Like It Scot" and another of Cait as Claire saying "At Long Lass." They have hand made shrinky dinks with Je Suis Pret designed on them, and there is also a necklace with a thistle design. Verra clever! I love everything and plan to start the book as soon as I can. Thank you, Claire-ah! :hug:

May 22nd, 2015, 11:20 pm #10

What's a shrinky dink? (Hope that wasn't a stupid question :) )

Lady Jayne
Clan Fraser

May 23rd, 2015, 12:02 am #11

Demetria wrote:What's a shrinky dink? (Hope that wasn't a stupid question :) )
I was hoping someone would ask. Shrinky dinks have been around for 40 years. You can draw/color on special plastic sheets and then bake them so that they shrink. You can read more about them here.

May 23rd, 2015, 12:39 am #12

cool! thanks! I'll have to look for that at the arts and crafts store

May 23rd, 2015, 5:06 am #13

Yay! So glad that this is a new book for you! I'm also glad you liked your bookmarks and necklace :yipee:
What's so much fun with the shrinky dinks is that you actually don't have to buy anything. If you check the bottom of the plastic packaging that you buy, you just might have the right plastic already. Look for the number 6 inside the "recycle" symbol. This plastic is the only kind that works well for this type of craft. Mine came from our clear plastic cookie containers. I just cut out the flat bottoms and used them the same way the sheets that you buy are used. Color them with permanent markers (Sharpies) and bake them in the oven on alunimum foil on a cookie sheet at 350 F for about 2 minutes. They curl up first and then lie flat. They end up being 1/3 their original size. If you search for "DIY shrinky dink" you can find tutorials and lots of tips. Oh, and if you want to use them like beads/ pendants, remember to whole punch them BEFORE shrinking. Caution, it can become quite addictive :) I have to add that they also sell plastic sheets made to be printed on by ink jets printers...the outlander possibilities with those are endless! :teehee:
Happy crafting!
Clara

sassenach
Clan Fraser Veteran
sassenach
Clan Fraser Veteran

May 23rd, 2015, 1:13 pm #14

I have never heard of Shrinky Dinks...how fascinating :bigsmile:
"It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach"

“Sassenach." He had called me that from the first; the Gaelic word for outlander, a stranger. An Englishman. First in jest, then in affection.”

My Book Blog

Lady Jayne
Clan Fraser

May 23rd, 2015, 3:09 pm #15

Here is a picture of the necklace with the thistle.