ECHO: Frank: Bree is Dangerous?

Laura
Clan Fraser
Joined: September 16th, 2009, 12:54 pm

February 18th, 2010, 7:08 pm #1



costantino wrote:I do think that Bree's family or Jem and Mandy will return to the past at some point.
I brought this up in Unresolved Story Lines:
Frank found something about Brianna prior to his death that a) caused him to have her properly trained in riflery and horsemanship; and b) write the cryptic "dangerous" note in ECHO. But, so far in the series, Brianna has done nothing to give her father information ~ or cause ~ to make those statements. What is Brianna going to do IN THE PAST to cause her father such concern?
Brianna MUST go back to do whatever it is Frank finds, non? It must be something fairly note-worthy for Frank to find it.
NigheanDubh wrote:Oooooooooh. (I need the hopping pepper smiley!) I keep thinking that Jem did send the letters from the past, or perhaps a descendant of Jemmy's? Has this been discussed in CompuServ?
I think there are a few threads with speculations, but, of course, nothing from DG on it. :flower:

Laura, and anyone else who visits CompuServ, has this been discussed?
The Ultimate Guide to Dorothy Dunnett's THE GAME OF KINGS available here.
Quote

Lady Jayne
Clan Fraser
Joined: October 4th, 2009, 7:41 pm

February 19th, 2010, 2:06 am #2

I wonder if Frank finds something having to do with River Run or Jocasta's will. In Drums of Autumn, Brianna argues with Aunt Jocasta, who has bequeathed the plantation and the slaves to her only great niece. Does anyone recall what happends to River Run when Jocasta leaves?
Quote

Laura
Clan Fraser
Joined: September 16th, 2009, 12:54 pm

February 19th, 2010, 2:55 pm #3

I believe Jocasta and Duncan sell River Run then head north to Canada before the real fighting starts. I'm pretty sure this is in ABOSAA.
The Ultimate Guide to Dorothy Dunnett's THE GAME OF KINGS available here.
Quote

Lady Jayne
Clan Fraser
Joined: October 4th, 2009, 7:41 pm

February 20th, 2010, 4:45 am #4

Oh, there goes that idea. I wonder then if Brianna signed any of the portraits she painted while at River Run. She worked on a few portraits while staying with her Aunt Jocasta. Perhaps the individuals who commissioned their portraits recorded payment to Brianna?
Quote

Laura
Clan Fraser
Joined: September 16th, 2009, 12:54 pm

February 20th, 2010, 3:01 pm #5

Maybe. I just think whatever Brianna does in the past must be sufficiently non-ladylike for Frank to school her in riflery, horsemanship, and then call her dangerous. Hmm.... would Brianna's name be in the court documents and/or newspapers of the time regarding Bonnet's arrest, I wonder? Could that be it? But then we'd be going backward with the story not forward. I guess this is a "wait and see" moment. But Brianna does something.

:thinking:
The Ultimate Guide to Dorothy Dunnett's THE GAME OF KINGS available here.
Quote

NE Mom
Clan Fraser Veteran
Joined: March 4th, 2010, 9:58 pm

March 29th, 2010, 5:05 pm #6

Could Frank be alluding to her possible ability to time travel, as Claire did as the thing that makes her "dangerous"? Not sure how he would know that she could do so unless he found some record of her in the past, as posted here...could he have seen the birth notice in the paper of Mandy's birth that was mentioned in ABoSAA? It listed her name and Roger's, could he and Rev. Wakefield have put two and two together? :thinking:
"Blue? Are there blue butterflies in Scotland?"..."It's a dream, Sassenach. I could have flutterbys wi' tartan wings, and I liked." Claire & Jamie, by Diana Gabaldon
Quote

Laura
Clan Fraser
Joined: September 16th, 2009, 12:54 pm

March 30th, 2010, 6:21 pm #7

NE Mom wrote:Not sure how he would know that she could do so unless he found some record of her in the past, as posted here...could he have seen the birth notice in the paper of Mandy's birth that was mentioned in ABoSAA?
The birth announcement does give enough information for Frank to trace Brianna into the past. I know we discussed this somewhere... but where? *scratching head*
juliekay wrote:Re: Brianna's dangerousness. Didn't she give plans for a "new" kind of rifle to a gunmaker? I'm wondering what's to come of those plans. I don't have a clue what else it could be.
Good catch! It was noticed on CompuServe, too, and recieved this cryptic (of course!) response from Diana along with a "wait and see".

This is my newest addition to the theory: Frank discovers something about Brianna having to do with the American Revolution. If this is so, she has got to go back. Unless... yikes! I hate it when I talk myself out of my own theories! ... Brianna's rifle design is enough to make her dangerous.

In support of my theory:
1. Rifle design in ABOSAA.
2. Frank's letter in ECHO.
3 In Fiery Cross, we learn Frank taught Brianna to hunt and shoot.
4. In ABOSAA, Claire recalls Frank having a original of the Lexington Alarm hanging in the hall of their house.
5. In Voyager, when Frank tells Claire to continue with medical school:
Voyager p86 wrote:He squeezed my hand gently and let it go, turning to reach behind him for one of the books on the shelf beside the table.
It was one of his references, Woodhill's
Patriots, a series of profiles of the American Founding Fathers.
Frank studied the American Revolution.
This opens a whole 'nuther can of worms.
Did Frank not only find Jamie in Scotland, but also the Revolutionary War?
The Ultimate Guide to Dorothy Dunnett's THE GAME OF KINGS available here.
Quote

NE Mom
Clan Fraser Veteran
Joined: March 4th, 2010, 9:58 pm

March 31st, 2010, 2:59 pm #8

Laura wrote:This is my newest addition to the theory: Frank discovers something about Brianna having to do with the American Revolution. If this is so, she has got to go back. Unless... yikes! I hate it when I talk myself out of my own theories! ... Brianna's rifle design is enough to make her dangerous.

In support of my theory:
1. Rifle design in ABOSAA.
2. Frank's letter in ECHO.
3 In Fiery Cross, we learn Frank taught Brianna to hunt and shoot.
4. In ABOSAA, Claire recalls Frank having a original of the Lexington Alarm hanging in the hall of their house.
5. In Voyager, when Frank tells Claire to continue with medical school:
Voyager p86 wrote:He squeezed my hand gently and let it go, turning to reach behind him for one of the books on the shelf beside the table.
It was one of his references, Woodhill's
Patriots, a series of profiles of the American Founding Fathers.
Frank studied the American Revolution.
This opens a whole 'nuther can of worms.
Did Frank not only find Jamie in Scotland, but also the Revolutionary War?
I like this theory, Laura! I've always wondered _what_ made Frank so interested in the Jacobite cause so intensely (besides thinking that BJR was perhaps a secret Jacobite himself, something he maybe confirmed by helping Claire in the crowns activities leading up to Culloden).

You theory got me to thinking about something else - coincidentally, he winds up in Boston, where a lot, though not all, Revolutionary history occurred - wonder if he sought out a job there in particular prior to Claire's reappearance - was he on Jamie's trail at that point? I want to know what he wrote in his Jacobite historical books! :)

At one point in one of the books, Brianna mentions a dream where she sees Frank writing a letter in his office, with one of his books open? She tries to read it but can't before she wakes up - I think. I wonder if it was the warning letter she found in Echo? :thinking:
"Blue? Are there blue butterflies in Scotland?"..."It's a dream, Sassenach. I could have flutterbys wi' tartan wings, and I liked." Claire & Jamie, by Diana Gabaldon
Quote

Laura
Clan Fraser
Joined: September 16th, 2009, 12:54 pm

April 5th, 2010, 1:56 pm #9

NE Mom wrote: I like this theory, Laura! I've always wondered _what_ made Frank so interested in the Jacobite cause so intensely (besides thinking that BJR was perhaps a secret Jacobite himself, something he maybe confirmed by helping Claire in the crowns activities leading up to Culloden).

You theory got me to thinking about something else - coincidentally, he winds up in Boston, where a lot, though not all, Revolutionary history occurred - wonder if he sought out a job there in particular prior to Claire's reappearance - was he on Jamie's trail at that point? I want to know what he wrote in his Jacobite historical books! :)

At one point in one of the books, Brianna mentions a dream where she sees Frank writing a letter in his office, with one of his books open? She tries to read it but can't before she wakes up - I think. I wonder if it was the warning letter she found in Echo? :thinking:
I do remember the dream, but can't remember off-hand where and in which book. ABOSAA or ECHO, me thinks. I associated the two - the dream and the letter in the book. There are other things on the desk, too, no?

QUESTION: Was Frank's professional work on the Revolution, the Jacobite cause, or both? Or was the Jacobite cause his personal "pet" project because of his ancestry? You bring up a great point: did Frank move them to Boston for research purposes? Or simply because Boston was Harvard and a way to get Claire away from England?
The Ultimate Guide to Dorothy Dunnett's THE GAME OF KINGS available here.
Quote

NE Mom
Clan Fraser Veteran
Joined: March 4th, 2010, 9:58 pm

April 5th, 2010, 5:06 pm #10

I think his books were open on the desk, and some other writing/work materials in Brianna's dream. Maybe he'd just gotten the last of the volumes published?

I think his professional work was the Jacobite cause originally, then the Revolution...or maybe the Revolution came about as a result of his teaching at Harvard. The move accomplished both getting Claire away from England, but a job like that (only from what I've heard about teaching positions at some universities from DH) is hard to get, won with diligent efforts and lots of time - but - it could've been right place/right time. If he was on Jamie and Claire's trail before she reappeared, maybe his research took him in that direction?

For about the thousandth time, I wish I could find out what happened in Scotland with Frank, Rev. Wakefield and Mrs. Graham after Claire disappeared...and where their investigations/suppositions led... 8-)

Also, in re-kilting Voyager (lg. paperback, Ch. 10, pg 118), I wondered about a Jem/Jamie connection - Duncan Kerr was telling Jamie that the witch (Gellis) said the gold was for a brave man, "A MacKenzie, it is for Himself. MacKenzie. It is theirs, she says it, for the sake of him who is dead." and in his feverish telling of the story, makes a connection between Ellen and Brian (MacKenzie-Fraser). Later in Voyager, Claire finds out about the legend of the next king of Scotland coming from the Fraser clan, and Geillis swears she'll go back to find Brianna before she's killed trying to get back through the stones. Could the MacKenzie Geillis was ranting about been the Fraser descendant, either Brianna, as the last MacKenzie, or maybe Jem?
"Blue? Are there blue butterflies in Scotland?"..."It's a dream, Sassenach. I could have flutterbys wi' tartan wings, and I liked." Claire & Jamie, by Diana Gabaldon
Quote

Joined: March 1st, 2010, 2:15 pm

April 5th, 2010, 7:56 pm #11

Laura wrote: QUESTION: Was Frank's professional work on the Revolution, the Jacobite cause, or both? Or was the Jacobite cause his personal "pet" project because of his ancestry? You bring up a great point: did Frank move them to Boston for research purposes? Or simply because Boston was Harvard and a way to get Claire away from England?
It was my impression that Frank already had the position at Harvard before Claire came back. I could be completely wrong, though.
Quote

Joined: November 14th, 2014, 9:16 pm

April 23rd, 2015, 8:11 pm #12

The opening sentence has me puzzled.

"You've just left me, dearest deadeye,..."

Were Frank and Claire separated for a time, in that he would have "visitation"

We know by Roger's experience that you cannot go back to a space and time that you exist (existed, will exist?). Jemmy could go back to 1743 Scotland, but not 1775 America.

At first I thought that maybe Bree traveled back in time to 1944-47 and spent time with her "daddy". But then, Frank, iirc, doubted Claire's story upon her return. If Bree had visited him, he would have known the truth, awaiting for Claire to return to him pregnant.

The next puzzler: "I can only hope that I've succeeded in saving your life, either way."

To date, Bree hasn't been in any life-threatening situation that Frank could know about. He can't know about 1980 Bree.

Third: It's an unfinished draft, found in one of his volumes. Where's the completed letter?
"Aye, I believe ye, Sassenach. But it would ha' been a good deal easier if you'd only been a witch."
Quote

Joined: September 25th, 2014, 7:35 pm

September 10th, 2018, 3:35 pm #13

NE Mom wrote: For about the thousandth time, I wish I could find out what happened in Scotland with Frank, Rev. Wakefield and Mrs. Graham after Claire disappeared...and where their investigations/suppositions led... 8-)
Has Diana ever indicated she would write about this time period? Or at least write a Frank-centered book to give us more insight as to what exactly Frank knew or what he found? 
Chickens are verra poor company, especially on a long journey.
Quote