Echo Chapter 103 The Hour of the Wolf

Join the Countdown-to-MOBY, ECHO re-kilt! Starting January 15!

Jamie Fraser is an eighteenth-century Highlander, an ex-Jacobite traitor, and a reluctant rebel in the American Revolution. His wife, Claire Randall Fraser, is a surgeon—from the twentieth century. What she knows of the future compels him to fight. What she doesn’t know may kill them both.

June 9th, 2014, 1:46 am #16

Nighean Dubh, thank you for your tireless efforts. :bow: I'm sorry that I have been unable to participate very much - life has just gotten in the way! Hopefully, with MOBY coming very soon, I will be able to refocus some time back in the OBC direction. I really consider you all to be friends! :flower:

EEEEEEEEEEEE....only a little more than 24 hours! :yipee:

motherofprayer
Clan Fraser

June 9th, 2014, 1:51 am #17

NigheabDubh - you are so amazing and tireless and thank you so much for your attention to detail in all of these summaries and also in bumping the threads for each chapter. It is so much appreciated.

I think with all the loose ends in this book and all the unresolved plot lines, it is so good to have some closure with Ian and Rachel and it is so sweet and romantic. They may have issues in their relationship but I know they WILL overcome them and I am so thankful that Ian is finally with someone. sigh.

It will be lovely to check back to these chapters once we finish MOBY...... and when we have some more answers to things.

June 9th, 2014, 1:58 am #18

I hope you are right, MOP, about Ian and Rachel. I have been worried about them for years now!!! :worry: I love, love, love William, but Rachel belongs to Ian!

ValerieA
ValerieA

June 9th, 2014, 5:30 am #19

NigheabDubh, thank you for all of your effort! Your chapter recaps are always so insightful and really get the discussion going. I am really looking forward to the chapter discussions on MOBY!

audiobooklover
Clan Fraser

June 9th, 2014, 2:18 pm #20

First, I just want to echo "bigsmile: everyone else in thanking NigheanDubh for taking on the huge project of summarizing and analyzing every chapter in this book. Great work and great discussion starters. Also, thanks to everyone who has participated in the discussions during the current re-kilt and earlier for sharing your thoughts and impressions. All of it really adds to my understanding and enjoyment of the book and I really appreciate it. :thanks:

Like others, I don't think everything is going to be easy or smooth-sailing for Ian and Rachel - it's never been for any of the main couples in the book, so why should we expect it for them? - but I still do not think there is any real issue of a love triangle with William. I don't think Rachel is fickle and I don't think she thinks of William in a romantic way - more like a younger brother. Also, as I said in a previous chapter, I think the fact that he killed Arch (and the crazy guy in New Jersey) for her would be hard for her to accept as she asked Ian not to kill Arch.

As a separate, structural issue, I think that DG makes a point of ending many of her books with one of the romantic couples and the fact that this one ends with a sweet scene between Ian and Rachel solidifies the fact that they are the couple, not Rachel with William.

I love Rachel's line comparing Ian to Rollo, as the wolf who is loyal and affectionate and a wonderful companion. :hug: That clearly shows that she understands about Ian's violent nature, but also knows the other aspects of him and loves him for it. And, I didn't see the line about "lying at her feet" as suggesting that Ian is not her equal or subservient. Jamie's said things like that to Claire way back when too, about wanting to worship her or serve her or whatever. I think it's Ian's way of saying he adores her, but I think they both recognize a sense of equality between them too, even though they are so different and the roles of men and women in that time are so different.

People have mentioned how they'll have to adjust to one another because of their differing beliefs and that's absolutely true. Ian has already shown that he is trying to tame his violent nature by not trying to kill Arch when Rachel asked him not to. Rachel (and Denny) have already been adjusting their views by being with the army at all. The Quaker meeting did not approve of them or their decision to join the army. So, somehow I think they are going to be able to find some common ground or a way to manage even recognizing the differences they have. Rachel also realized the necessity of violence to protect oneself and others when William killed the guy in New Jersey, so she's already shifting her understanding some. I feel like it's going to be fine, but not easy, since in this series, as in life, it never is.

And, I agree with DLT's comment that it is very interesting that Randall-Isaacs, who hasn't been mentioned for a while, got mentioned here in the last chapter. And, not only that, but mentioned as talking to Fergus. We know that DRI is a friend of Percy (they went to brothels together in London as John was told), and Percy has figured out that Fergus may be the Claudel Fraser he has been searching for. So, DRI talking to Fergus could be a concern because we don't trust Percy or DRI as far as we could throw them. But, in any case, this would clearly represent a continuation of that whole storyline about Fergus' past and Percy's business in America. And, DRI's true loyalties are still murky, though it does seem that he, like Percy, may be trying to help the Americans.

Oh, and since there was the discussion of who to trust, that reminded me of a similar conversation Claire had with Jamie way back when. He said he trusted Claire, Jenny, Ian and Murtagh (I think that was all), and that was quite a few people, though if I remember correctly (a big if, unfortunately), Claire thought it was sad that he had so few he could trust. Ian had a few more mentioned here (Jamie, Claire, Rachel, Denny, Fergus, Marsali, and of course Rollo). And, although not mentioned here, with Jenny's arrival that should be one more.

Hmmm. :thinking: I think there's an inconsistency here. Jenny wasn't mentioned which leads me to believe that Ian and Rachel have not yet heard about Jamie and Jenny's arrival. That could make sense since they are not at the house and their appearance was rather sudden there. So presumably they both still believe that Jamie and Jenny are dead (I know we haven't seen Ian being told, I have to assume that Rachel or someone else has by now told him about the loss of the Euterpe and their belief that Jamie and Jenny were on it). In which case, listing his aunt and uncle among his friends is a bit odd. Either they should know both are alive, or assume both are dead. I guess I also would have expected Ian to be having a harder time dealing with the deaths of his father and now his uncle and mother and he seems so calm in this scene, but I'll assume his grief was off-page and that this is just a calm moment for them. We do know that Ian is good at hiding his emotions when he wants to.

Yeesh! I didn't expect to ramble on so long about this chapter. But, hey, it's the last one, so why change my habits now, right? :lol:

June 9th, 2014, 5:50 pm #21

ABL, you make some great points! I agree that DRI is not to be trusted. I had forgotten about his "relationship" with Percy! I really hope that MOBY gets them completely through the revolution so that we can see all of these mysteries come to light. I found Echo to have so many puzzles with missing pieces, which will, hopefully, all be resolved! Wish I had had the time to re-kilt...trying to cram in a few chapters in preparation! Impossible!!! :read: :wall:

I believe that Ian's comment to Rachel about "lying at her feet" is also one of adoration. Rollo lays at Ian's feet showing his love and devotion to Ian. Ian feels such a love and devotion to Rachel that I believe he meant this as a illustration to her of his feelings. I know I have mentioned this so many times, but I love Ian...he truly touches my heart.

It does seem that Ian and Rachel are unaware of Jenny and Jamie's return from the dead!

Is anyone else saddened to read the "visual" proof of Rollo's age? Ian will be lost when it's Rollo's time to go. :cry:

motherofprayer
Clan Fraser

June 9th, 2014, 6:48 pm #22

But he will have Rachel now !!

June 9th, 2014, 10:01 pm #23

motherofprayer wrote:But he will have Rachel now !!
I can write this because my husband will never read it: it's not the same.

June 9th, 2014, 10:31 pm #24

NigheabDubh.......can I just add my thanks for all your hard work which has made my re-kilt of Echo so enjoyable - this was my first group re-kilt and I'm now looking forward to doing it all again for MOBY. :thanks:
TrudyJ wrote:Is anyone else saddened to read the "visual" proof of Rollo's age? Ian will be lost when it's Rollo's time to go. :cry:
ME :cry: I've a feeling we may lose Rollo at some point in MOBY but hopefully there maybe a mini-Rollo to take his place.

June 9th, 2014, 10:40 pm #25

:bow: Yes many many thanks NigheanDubh for your incredibly thorough and thoughtful summaries - they made the experience of re-kilting Echo a truly incredible one. :bow:

Also thanks to all our other wonderful members who had so much to contribute - I looked forward to reading your comments each and every day - you all rock! :thanks:

NigheanDubh
Clan Fraser
NigheanDubh
Clan Fraser

June 9th, 2014, 11:44 pm #26

:oops: You're welcome.
dani lass wrote:Also thanks to all our other wonderful members who had so much to contribute - I looked forward to reading your comments each and every day - you all rock!
:agree:

:<3: It's all the members, the responses, the dedication to these books that supplies the energy. Happy reading and posting! Let's hope that MOBY brings as much joy as the other books in this series have.

:read: Here's to MOBY! Tomorrow is the day. And... " nous sommes prets!" :bigsmile:
"'I wish to God,' said Gideon with mild exasperation, 'that you'd talk--just once--in prose like other people.'"
--Game of Kings

June 10th, 2014, 1:04 am #27

Is Ian really "a violent man"?

I'm thinking of the conversation between Jamie and Claire in Voyager, about how Ian is just one of those people that things just happen to - something Ian and Claire have in common.

It was a violent time, and Ian never used violence when it wasn't really necessary, I don't think. The only time he ever went looking for someone to hurt was when he thought that Wakefield had raped Brianna, and when Claire had been kidnapped.

Even Sun Elk got in the first punch, when Ian went looking for Emily.

June 14th, 2018, 8:35 pm #28

audiobooklover wrote:Hmmm.   :thinking: I think there's an inconsistency here.  Jenny wasn't mentioned which leads me to believe that Ian and Rachel have not yet heard about Jamie and Jenny's arrival.  That could make sense since they are not at the house and their appearance was rather sudden there.  So presumably they both still believe that Jamie and Jenny are dead (I know we haven't seen Ian being told, I have to assume that Rachel or someone else has by now told him about the loss of the Euterpe and their belief that Jamie and Jenny were on it).  In which case, listing his aunt and uncle among his friends is a bit odd.  Either they should know both are alive, or assume both are dead.  I guess I also would have expected Ian to be having a harder time dealing with the deaths of his father and now his uncle and mother and he seems so calm in this scene, but I'll assume his grief was off-page and that this is just a calm moment for them.  We do know that Ian is good at hiding his emotions when he wants to.
This is exactly why I came here and what I was wondering about. I have read Echo (and MOHB) once each and just finished my first rekilt of Echo (on audio this time). I was wondering it myself especially since MOHB's first chapter is also about Ian. (No spoilers but you may know what I'm referencing). 

I'm guessing this may have been taking place at the same time (more or less) that everything is happening at John's house - with Ian and Rachel blissfully unawares. But I also thought it was odd about him listing his "aunt and uncle" among his friends. Unless it's just the thing you do where you momentarily forget someone is gone.