DUNNETT: WHAT LYMOND READ: De Officiis (On Duties or On Obligations) a treatise by Marcus Tullius Cicero

What Lymond Read
After reading Deirdre Serjeantson's article 'That Private Labyrinth': The Books that made Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond', Whispering Gallery, 134 (March 2017), 20-27, it is fitting to read for ourselves some of the primary sources that influenced Dorothy Dunnett's creation. Join us as we read some of the books on Lymond's shelves and unraval more about this character and his times.

DUNNETT: WHAT LYMOND READ: De Officiis (On Duties or On Obligations) a treatise by Marcus Tullius Cicero

NigheanDubh
Clan Fraser
NigheanDubh
Clan Fraser

May 6th, 2018, 6:58 pm #1

Another book found on Francis Crawford's books shelf at Midculter is Cicero's De Officiis.  It was written in 44 AD when Cicero himself was 62 years of age, and the last year of his life, as he would be assassinated shortly after Ceasar's own death.  

The treatise is composed of three books.  As our previous and ongoing read, Seneca's Letters from a Stoic, this too is written in the form of a letter.  The treatise is written to his son.  

The work's legacy is profound. Although not a Christian work, St. Ambrose in 390 declared it legitimate for the Church to use (along with everything else Cicero, and the equally popular Roman philosopher Seneca, had written). It became a moral authority during the Middle Ages. Of the Church Fathers, St. Augustine, St. Jerome and even more so St. Thomas Aquinas, are known to have been familiar with it.[9] Illustrating its importance, some 700 handwritten copies remain extant in libraries around the world dating back to before the invention of the printing press.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Officiis
Throughout the series we have taken note of Lymond's discussion or observation of these men of the Church.  
It is also interesting to read that Cicero had been influenced by the stoics, and so, it becomes evident as to why Lymond has this philosophic view of the world he inhabits.  

Our discussion will open on Wednesday, June 6th, 2018.  All are welcome.  
"'I wish to God,' said Gideon with mild exasperation, 'that you'd talk--just once--in prose like other people.'"
--Game of Kings

May 13th, 2018, 2:45 am #2

My PG Walsh translation for the Oxford University Press is on the way.  It's described as 'lively' - I have high hopes.  I scoured all the university and second hand bookstores and came up with two copies in the original Latin, which was no use to me whatsover!   It took me a tad longer as I kept searching for De Officiis which I didn't realise was the same as either On Duties or On Obligations, which confused me even more.  There are times when I think my education has left me woefully underprepared for the world in which I prefer to live!

NigheanDubh
Clan Fraser
NigheanDubh
Clan Fraser

May 14th, 2018, 2:31 am #3

"There are times when I think my education has left me woefully underprepared for the world in which I prefer to live!" 
I'm very happy that we are reading these classics and I look forward to your insights, kiwijo.  

I just got a kindle version with a foreword by a Wes Callihan.  It had five stars on Amazon--so I went with that.  
I've been so busy with end of term activities that I have fallen behind in my reading.  This evening I worked on a test that I wanted to revise, tweak--I was in that mood, even though the exam will be given in June.  I ended up getting a weird message trying to save it.  Sometimes I hate my mac --I lost about two hours of work.  Well, I do have time yet, and I know where I want to go with it.  
"'I wish to God,' said Gideon with mild exasperation, 'that you'd talk--just once--in prose like other people.'"
--Game of Kings

May 14th, 2018, 7:08 am #4

Bad cyber-monsters .. they're feeding at your desk tonight.

DLT
Clan Fraser
DLT
Clan Fraser

May 14th, 2018, 11:28 am #5

NigheanDubh, there are times when I worry about losing a document, so I email the draft to myself at regular intervals

NigheanDubh
Clan Fraser
NigheanDubh
Clan Fraser

May 14th, 2018, 10:29 pm #6

Kiwijo, you said it.  They were after the documents.  LOL.  😅

Thanks, Dorothy.  I was having trouble saving it.  I was using old material from a New York State Regents' exam, and it was not compatible with the mac for some reason.  So I copied and pasted to google docs but this generated the font monster and I just didn't trust downloading it.  My husband had gone to bed so he couldn't help--he's stronger than I at computer stuff.   The images (they are cartoon like black and whites for the students to write stories about)  They had disappeared too when I pasted to google docs.  I will figure it out.  Maybe I'll work on it tonight.  
--Game of Kings