CASTING CALL: Lord John Grey

Because sometimes you just gotta have fun.
Who would you cast as the characters in a movie?

March 27th, 2015, 8:25 pm #76

I was searching through "As Meat Loves Salt" tag on tumblr (really good book) and this guy caught me eye (someone fan-casts him as Ferris). His name is Samuel Barnett and I've never heard about him before, but right now I'm planning to see "Desperate Romantics" for him (and I've always loved pre-raphaelites) because damn...When I look at those pictures I see John. He is not conventionally beautiful, but there is something about him...

March 27th, 2015, 10:25 pm #77

Sure, he'll do. He's got the coloring that I imagined John would have. LJ is supposed to be relatively short too. I hope he is.
Da mi basia mille, deinde centum, dein mille altera, dein secunda centum, deinde usque altera mille, deinde centum.

Donne-moi mille baisers, et puis cent, et puis mille autres, puis une seconde fois cent, puis encore mille autres, puis cent.

April 2nd, 2015, 6:54 pm #78

Naomi wrote:Sure, he'll do. He's got the coloring that I imagined John would have. LJ is supposed to be relatively short too. I hope he is.
I couldn't find the actor's height anywhere, but he seems to be shorter than 1.80. I've almost finished watching "Desperate Romantics" and I'm really impressed by him :bow:
He has the look, the perfect comic timing and is really charming. This is the right man IMHO. I wish he was few years younger though (he's in his mid 30s now), but Lord John supposed to be in his late 30s to late 40s for a biggest part of the OL series so the age issue is not that big problem for me in this case.

May 4th, 2015, 12:29 pm #79

My mental image of LJG is Orlando Bloom as Legolas in the first Lord of the Rings movie. . .he wore a blond wig, l guess, his hair was long, and he had the prettiest face. . .I had never seen him before, didn't know his name and was absolutely fascinated by him. He's 5' 11", and 41 years old. . .right age for later books, but he looks much younger and could easily do 16 year old.

September 12th, 2015, 11:39 am #80

I'm leaning towards Rupert Penry-Jones. A British actor - he definitely could play the part of Lord John. This character must be able to be believable as an English aristocrat. As a fellow-Aussie I love Simon Baker, however, I don't think he could play an aristocrat. He's 6'1", but so long as he's shorter than Jamie, I don't think we have to been too pedantic - do we? :thinking:

September 13th, 2015, 2:22 am #81

IMO, I don't think height should be the most important criteria. If the character's heights are kept in context with each other, then it will still look good on the screen. Diana (Herself) said not to watch the tv series with the book on our laps!

Sam is 6' 2½" (189 cm) and Catriona is taller than the book says at 5' 9¾" (177 cm) (which BTW could be a reason why there is so much comment about Jamie appearing shorter that the book says - if Claire was 5' 7" she would have had to look up that much further!). Anyway....sooo, if Lord John is somewhere between 5'7" and 5'11" it should still work out - he can still be "wee John" to Jamie - even if it's only a few inches.

I cannot see Lord John as being too short or weedy - that could look way too comical in his regal uniform, especially when he's supposed to be a tough and experienced military man. I see him as an honourable man who commands respect from everyone he comes in contact with. Also, it has to be convincing when he and Claire, well, you know... I would really want Lord John to be believable as a person who is (almost) Jamie's equal in so many ways.

The difficulty will be for Lord John to go from a 16yo to near 30yo (at Ardsmuir) and then, hopefully, beyond that. Remembering that Lord John is about 7 years younger than Jamie and 12 years younger than Claire. All in all, the casting agents have got it absolutely right so far so far as I'm concerned, but it's still a verra big responsibility! :worry:

November 11th, 2015, 5:34 pm #82

Not sure if this is the right thread for it but I just read on facebook that they've cast Lord John:
The Outlander Fans facebook page says: "According to IMDB, Oscar Kennedy has been cast as “William Grey” (Lord John William Grey)!"
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3960821/?ref ... fc_cl_t165
Da mi basia mille, deinde centum, dein mille altera, dein secunda centum, deinde usque altera mille, deinde centum.

Donne-moi mille baisers, et puis cent, et puis mille autres, puis une seconde fois cent, puis encore mille autres, puis cent.

November 12th, 2015, 12:48 pm #83

It occurred to me last night that I might just be a Lord John convert if he was played by Ryan Kwanten from True Blood! He might be getting a bit too old for the role since he is pushing 40, but to quote Lafayette, "That boy is sex on a stick!" ;)
The minister's cat is a camstairy cat.

July 30th, 2016, 7:58 am #84

I am still new to the whole Outlander ( and cast speculation) thing :), watched the TV series first, then decided to learn more about the characters and story ( last 2 weeks being ill I finished all 8 books). Damien Molony was how I saw Lord John Grey because of his portrayal of Hal Yorke in Being Human.

April 29th, 2018, 3:08 am #85

I know it's a moot point now but I've never been thrilled with David Berry as Lord John Grey.  I mean, he does the character justice with his acting yet I still just can't get beyond the fact that he looks nothing like my idea of Lord John.  But when I watched the TV show Victoria, I saw an actor whom I think would've been perfect for the part: Jordan Waller, who plays Lord Alfred Paget.  Here's a podcast where he's interviewed but there are spoilers: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/pod ... an-waller/

But if by some miracle Starz produces a series based on the LJG books, and David Berry isn't available, maybe Jordan Waller could be considered!  😃

jordan waller 1.jpg jordan waller 2.jpg
“If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” ~ Oscar Wilde
~~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>
Epiphany 2018: Too late, too late, too late; it had happened. ~ The Ringed Castle

April 29th, 2018, 7:54 pm #86

I am quite happy with the casting of LJG, but I do think your offering of Jordan Waller would have been a fine choice! And I am one of those height obsessed fans. Sam is tall enough on paper, but the actors surrounding him are 21st tall, not 18th century nutritionally deprived short! And Bree is definitely too short.