BOOKS: Giveaway - The Woman in the Window by A. J. Finn

Lady Jayne
Clan Fraser

May 5th, 2018, 3:13 am #1

ENTER THE OBC BOOK GIVEAWAY!

Woman in the WindowCOVER.jpg
The Outlander Book Club is happy to announce the giveaway of a signed copy of the New York Times bestselling thriller, The Woman in the Window by A. J. Finn.

"The Woman in the Window is a seductive and unpredictable novel, like the Hitchcock movies to which author A.J. Finn pays homage. Finn’s protagonist Anna Fox is a child psychologist who lives alone in a New York suburb with a case of agoraphobia so debilitating she hasn’t left the house in months. To occupy her time Anna watches film noir classics from her vast collection, interacts with people online, and sometimes spies on her neighbors. It’s all very innocuous until she sees a horrible crime take place in the house across the park, recently inhabited by a new family. Call the police and report it, right? Things are a little more complicated for Anna—exacerbated by her routine consumption of prescription drugs with a lot of wine. Author A.J. Finn throws curve balls where you least expect them; I gasped out loud and in public, twice, while reading this novel because I was so taken by surprise."  —Seira Wilson, Amazon Book Review

Stephen King has said “The Woman in the Window is one of those rare books that really is unputdownable. The writing is smooth and often remarkable. The way Finn plays off this totally original story against a background of film noir is both delightful and chilling.” 

For a chance to win, please post about your favorite suspense-thriller novel in this thread, and include the following:

-- Title

-- Author

-- Why it is your favorite. 

All members are eligible. The winner will be announced on Sunday, May 27.

Lady Jayne
Clan Fraser

May 12th, 2018, 1:59 pm #2

Our latest book giveaway is by a debut writer, pseudonym A.J. Finn, who I had the pleasure meeting at a recent Barnes and Noble author event in Westchester County. I have read the book and can honestly say it will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Here are some pictures of the book signing.

AJ Finn Event.JPG

AJFinnandLadyJayne.JPG

Lisa SF
Clan Fraser

May 14th, 2018, 3:14 am #3

What a great giveaway (and great pictures!), Lady Jayne. Thanks so much for organizing this.

My entry is:
Before I Go To Sleep by S. J. Watson
The plot has to do with a woman with memory loss, and I thought the author did an amazing job of creating a life where someone has no idea from day to day what is real and who she can trust.
"There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books." - Irving Stone

Just another reader with a blog... check it out here.

audiobooklover
Clan Fraser

May 14th, 2018, 2:05 pm #4

Fabulous pics, Lady Jayne!  Thanks for sharing.  I'm excited about the giveaway, too, but found it difficult to remember what I've read and loved that fit into the category of suspense-thriller.  

Anyway, to help me figure out a book to include (although I agree with Lisa that Before I Go to Sleep is a good one - but I feel like I should pick something different), I found this list.  There are several books here that I have read and enjoyed, but don't recall all the details about (because that is my life).  But, here goes.

My entry:
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
I made guesses about things multiple times that may have been partially correct, but changed my mind.  I love that it was about books and a special library.  It had been on my TBR list for years because a friend told me it was her favorite ever and I finally read it for a book group a little over a year ago (I think).

Honorable mention to And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (which I thought of as more of a mystery so wouldn't have thought of on my own for thriller-suspense, but loved it) and The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins which my whole Classics Book Group loved when we discussed it a few years ago.  I wasn't sure I should go with a classic here, but maybe I should have.  And, The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty which I remember loving when I read it years ago, but I've read a few other of her books since then and can't separate them all in my mind.  Time to stop. . .  LOL

May 14th, 2018, 4:20 pm #5

Hi, I like the category and the book looks interesting. Thanks for organizing it.

So my entry will be the Millenium trilogy by Steig Larsson. I loved the series, just couldn't put it down. At the time I didn't have a kindle so I bought the first book in French at a local book store and then the second one a short time later. Then I went to NY on vacation and couldn't wait till I got home to buy the third and find out how it finished so I forced myself to switch to the English translation. I loved the intricate characters in that story. They were so intriguing that I was really interested in finding out about their story. This was a few years before I discovered Outlander but I reacted in a similar way. I also liked the female revenge aspect of the story. I haven't read the fourth and fifth volumes that were published by another author. I had read that they were controversial and knowing that another author had tried to piggy-back on the first one's fame made me uncomfortable.
Da mi basia mille, deinde centum, dein mille altera, dein secunda centum, deinde usque altera mille, deinde centum.

Donne-moi mille baisers, et puis cent, et puis mille autres, puis une seconde fois cent, puis encore mille autres, puis cent.

NigheanDubh
Clan Fraser

May 15th, 2018, 1:37 am #6

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.  It was so suspenseful and I loved the twist at the end.   
The main character, Rachel Watson, has a drinking problem and she experiences blackouts.  The reader doesn't really know whether to rely on her. Rachel herself second guesses her own memory.   The villain is quite insidious.  
I really didn't know what to believe until the very end. 

Great pick, audiobooklover.  I loved Shadow of the Wind and that it had to do with books and a mysterious author.  Superb, really.  The sequels are supposed to be good.  Agatha Christie is another great one, but I've also read so many that they are hard to remember.  I remember liking Third Girl.

Entry:  My very favorite, as I'm thinking about it some more, is Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose.  Loved, loved, the book.  Lots of phantasmagorical play with mirrors and optics which doesn't fare well among fearful monks who are superstitious. The setting is in a Benedictine monastery in the 14th century.  Thank goodness for Brother William of Baskerville, a brilliant and modern thinking Franciscan, sent to resolve who is murdering the monks.   
I think I'll have to go with The Name of the Rose, after all.  A re-reading is in order.  Maybe I'll pluck my Italian copy of the shelf.  UE's choice of words is daunting even for Italians but I'm up for the challenge.  
"'I wish to God,' said Gideon with mild exasperation, 'that you'd talk--just once--in prose like other people.'"
--Game of Kings

Lady Jayne
Clan Fraser

May 20th, 2018, 5:50 pm #7

Thank you to those of you who have posted your favorite suspense thrillers.

There is one week remaining if anyone wants to join the giveaway! 😀

May 25th, 2018, 12:23 pm #8

Thanks Lady Jayne and great pictures.
I loved Shadow of the Wind and the Millenium trilogy as well.  My pick is the  Dead Trilogy by Adrian Mckinty.  Dead I Well May Be, The Bloomsday Dead, and The Dead Yard.  The lead character is gritty and tough as well as being likable.  I was also captivated by his Irish lilt!  A great suspense. 

May 26th, 2018, 6:48 am #9

Great pictures Lady Jayne...I read this book a month or so ago and found it completely addictive and totally absorbing and gobbled it up in a long afternoon. Whoever wins this will be very happy. I loved the anti-heroine voice and it has a cat with attitude in it. Bravo to A.J. Finn

Lady Jayne
Clan Fraser

May 28th, 2018, 3:06 am #10

The winner of The Woman in the Window is . . .

Susanruth! Congratulations! 😀

audiobooklover
Clan Fraser

May 28th, 2018, 3:30 am #11

Congrats susanruth!  Enjoy! :-)

May 28th, 2018, 3:52 am #12

Thanks. I never usually win anything!

Lisa SF
Clan Fraser

May 28th, 2018, 6:24 am #13

Congrats, susanruth!
"There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books." - Irving Stone

Just another reader with a blog... check it out here.

May 28th, 2018, 4:25 pm #14

Congratulations Susanruth. Hope you enjoy your book.
Da mi basia mille, deinde centum, dein mille altera, dein secunda centum, deinde usque altera mille, deinde centum.

Donne-moi mille baisers, et puis cent, et puis mille autres, puis une seconde fois cent, puis encore mille autres, puis cent.

NigheanDubh
Clan Fraser

May 28th, 2018, 4:54 pm #15

So glad for you, Susanruth.  Enjoy the book.  
"'I wish to God,' said Gideon with mild exasperation, 'that you'd talk--just once--in prose like other people.'"
--Game of Kings