3:56 AM - May 03, 2015 #46

I just read an article yesterday that said that there will definitely be spoilers in the TV Game of Thrones (can't remember where the article was but I'll look for a link).
I'd love to read that if you find it. I"m worried especially about the way Sansa's story is going.

audiobooklover
Clan Fraser

4:39 AM - May 03, 2015 #47

Lady Jayne wrote:I remember watching The Thorn Birds way back when and reading the book by Colleen McCullogh after watching the mini series. Richard Chamberlin and Rachel Ward were great.
:agree: That was my order too - miniseries, then book and I loved both. :flower:

Lisa SF
Clan Fraser

6:47 AM - May 03, 2015 #48

Lady Jayne, I remember loving The Thorn Birds -- book and TV! If I recall correctly, that was late 70s, early 80s, which in some ways was really the heyday of TV mini-series, all adapted from epic books. That was around the same era as Roots, Shogun, The Bastard... and I'm sure there are more that I can't think of right now!
Harkins wrote:
I just read an article yesterday that said that there will definitely be spoilers in the TV Game of Thrones (can't remember where the article was but I'll look for a link).
I'd love to read that if you find it. I"m worried especially about the way Sansa's story is going.
The showrunners have been interviewed a few times now on how the show is diverging from GRRM's books. It'll be interesting to see if George sticks with his original plans for the characters or if he ends up altering the stories to match some of what we see on TV.

PS - LOL -- I see that our "forbidden" words list has inserted asterisks into one of the titles I mentioned above! I definitely didn't write it that way...
"There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books." - Irving Stone

Just another reader with a blog... check it out here.

8:51 PM - May 04, 2015 #49

Lisa SF wrote:Lady Jayne, I remember loving The Thorn Birds -- book and TV! If I recall correctly, that was late 70s, early 80s, which in some ways was really the heyday of TV mini-series, all adapted from epic books. That was around the same era as Roots, Shogun, The b*st*rd... and I'm sure there are more that I can't think of right now!
Harkins wrote:
The showrunners have been interviewed a few times now on how the show is diverging from GRRM's books. It'll be interesting to see if George sticks with his original plans for the characters or if he ends up altering the stories to match some of what we see on TV.

PS - LOL -- I see that our "forbidden" words list has inserted asterisks into one of the titles I mentioned above! I definitely didn't write it that way...
Here's a link to one of many articles regarding the TV series "spoiling" the books.
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 ... poil-books

Speaking of the "hey-day" of mini-series....don't forget "Rich Man Poor Man"

8:54 PM - May 04, 2015 #50

LeslieG wrote:
WeeBairn wrote:Is this the same "North & South" that was a 1985 mini-series. I'll watch the "modern" adaptation by all means, but I'll be going in somewhat skeptical that it can match up with the 1985 mini-series.
Check out the cast of the 1985 mini-series:
Among others Kirstie Alley, Leslie-Ann Down, Elizabeth Taylor, Robert Mitchum, Genie Francis, Patrick Swayze, Hal Holbrook, Jean Simmons, Morgan Fairchild, Gene Kelly, Hal Holbrook, Johnny Cash, Forest Whitaker....)
1985 is based on John Jakes's novel of the same name, about the American Civil War.

North and South 2004 and North and South 1975 (with Patrick Stewart!) are based on the novel by Elizabeth Gaskell, published originally between 1854 and 1855 in serial form, under the auspices of Charles Dickens. The common link between the two different books is cotton.

Yes, I've spent way too much time over the years discussing the book and miniseries.
My bad!! But the John Jakes book/mini-series is another great series from an epic book story worth the watching if you ever get the chance.

12:53 AM - May 05, 2015 #51

I wouldn't mind checking that one out some day.

Rae

2:25 AM - May 05, 2015 #52

I didn't watch many mini-series back in the day Except for the Thornbirds. Saw the series first then read the book - Loved both!

3:31 AM - May 05, 2015 #53

WeeBairn wrote: Here's a link to one of many articles regarding the TV series "spoiling" the books.
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 ... poil-books
Thanks-I hadn't read that yet.

4:11 AM - May 05, 2015 #54

Lisa SF wrote:I think with The Time Traveler's Wife, it makes a difference which one you experience first -- book or movie. I loved the book so much, and just didn't feel that the movie did it justice. And Eric Bana just wasn't Henry for me at all.
But, but, but....Eric Bana. *sigh*

4:14 AM - May 05, 2015 #55

This was a fascinating discussion, y'all. I see I'll have to read Game Of Thrones, Gone With the Wind, The Lord of the Rings, ANDThe Thornbirds. All the chunksters that I've been putting off for shorter books! :read:

Lisa SF
Clan Fraser

4:42 AM - May 05, 2015 #56

Mary_Mac -- yes, yes, yes, and yes! They're all wonderful. And after this discussion, I'm looking forward to North and South even more!
"There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books." - Irving Stone

6:01 AM - May 05, 2015 #57

But, you see, if I start reading either GoT or LotR, I will be sucked into yet another series, and no one will see or hear from me all summer...

12:27 PM - May 05, 2015 #58

There must be some Walking Dead fans on here...anyone? I started reading the graphic novels once I was hooked on the series, and so far, I've not minded the differences between the two. It's nice not to know exactly what will happen but to have an inkling. For a black and white comic book, the artwork in the Walking Dead is striking.
I've also been reading the Buffy the Vampire comics and its spin-offs, kind of the reverse of what we've been talking about here-the show ended on TV, and they continued it in comic book form. The results are mixed; different issues or arcs have different contributors, but I love the idea that the story lives on this way.

Lisa SF
Clan Fraser

2:26 PM - May 05, 2015 #59

I love the Buffy comics! Especially since Joss Whedon is involved, so it's "canon".

I have friends who keep urging me to try the Walking Dead, but it feels like too much to catch up on at this point (although I'm pretty sure it would be right up my alley.)

Forgot to mention earlier, in terms of YA book to movie adaptations, I thought they did a great job with The Fault in Our Stars. They captured the feel of the book so well, and I loved the cast.

3:07 PM - May 05, 2015 #60

Elmer Gantry (by Sinclair Lewis) and the movie starring Jean Simmons, Burt Lancaster & Shirley Jones are both very, very powerful.