ABOSAA: LOL Moments in ABoSaA

Joined: December 13th, 2011, 12:17 am

December 28th, 2011, 1:53 am #1






IMO, there are several laugh out loud moments in this book such as Claire talking about them dancing around the fire when the new settlers come in. I can see it so vividly in my head--Brianna, Claire, Mrs Bug, Lizzie, Marsali, etc all being goofy and dancing around and then them showing up. Hee! What are you LOL moments from this book? :lol: :yipee: :clap:
Quote

NE Mom
Clan Fraser Veteran
Joined: March 4th, 2010, 9:58 pm

December 29th, 2011, 2:56 am #2

^that was a great lol moment, Webgirl! What a first impression of Fraser's Ridge, aye? :D

Another great lol moment I can remember is Bree, throwing an potato after having found he cabin pantry raided, and hitting Roger square on the forehead in Ch. 4. His response "Ow. You've got a wicked arm girl." made me laugh and feel sorry for Roger/proud that Bree was as strong as her Da all at the same time.

Great thread, Webgirl, can't wait to read more lol moments here!
"Blue? Are there blue butterflies in Scotland?"..."It's a dream, Sassenach. I could have flutterbys wi' tartan wings, and I liked." Claire & Jamie, by Diana Gabaldon
Quote

Joined: February 13th, 2011, 8:21 pm

December 29th, 2011, 4:27 am #3

I was laughing outloud when Jamie finds 2 squaw women in his bed and is trying to get Ian to diplimaticly help him to get rid of them. I could just feel Ian trying so hard not to roll on the floor laughing out loud at his uncle. I think Ian tells the girls that The great Spirit came to Jamie in a dream and he must not be with a woman until he brings the guns. I don't have the book in front of me right now. I will look it up later I am sure I marked it. And then later when Jamie tells Claire. Just to funny!
Love to Live & Live to Love
Quote

Lady Jayne
Clan Fraser
Joined: October 4th, 2009, 7:41 pm

December 30th, 2011, 3:19 am #4

I tend to get the books confused, but is it in ABoS&A that Ardo steals MacDonald's hat? Those two had such a love /hate relationship.
Quote

Joined: September 9th, 2011, 7:02 pm

January 2nd, 2012, 10:39 pm #5

It was hysterical when Ian and Jamie return to the inn where Claire is waiting and they are both clearly amused by something. Claire asks why Ian has his finger up his nose and Jamie says he is trying to keep his brains from falling out -at which point the laughing increases. Ian and Jamie are laughing over hitting someone with a big fish and Claire tells Ian to remove his finger because he looks like a half-wit. Then, Ian and Jamie panic because whatever it is seems to be stuck in his nose. Jamie goes to retrieve some snuff, which causes Ian to sneeze and, voila, it's a gemstone!!!

Jamie and Ian always seem to provide funny moments!
Quote

Joined: March 8th, 2012, 4:13 pm

March 16th, 2012, 1:12 pm #6

I'm just in the first 250 pages of ABoSaA in the scenes where Claire performs a surgery in Christie's hand and I was thinking that Claire most be an extraordinary doctor and surgeon because she can do all sorts of interventions. She can remove hemorrhoids, tonsils, teeth, limb amputations, orthopedic surgery, plastic surgery, etc, etc. Apparently she can manage with all of the body parts :thinking: but I was wondering if she doesn't have a specialty; back in the 60s, the surgeons were capable to perform in all areas?...
All I know is that if I had any medical condition I will want to have Doctor Claire by my side...and Gregory House too... :)
Quote

Joined: December 13th, 2011, 12:17 am

March 16th, 2012, 2:53 pm #7

aliena wrote:I'm just in the first 250 pages of ABoSaA in the scenes where Claire performs a surgery in Christie's hand and I was thinking that Claire most be an extraordinary doctor and surgeon because she can do all sorts of interventions. She can remove hemorrhoids, tonsils, teeth, limb amputations, orthopedic surgery, plastic surgery, etc, etc. Apparently she can manage with all of the body parts :thinking: but I was wondering if she doesn't have a specialty; back in the 60s, the surgeons were capable to perform in all areas?...
All I know is that if I had any medical condition I will want to have Doctor Claire by my side...and Gregory House too... :)
I don't remember her doing any plastic surgery, but I could be wrong. I do wonder what her specialty is. I'm wondering if it's emergency medicine. That would expose her day to day to a bunch of different conditions and make her well rounded as a doctor. Given her history, it would make sense if she chose that area. Or even if she was a plastic surgeon because they operate on many, many different parts of the body (if I have any med condition, give me an ER doc or plastic surgeon! LOL). We also need to remember she was a combat nurse for years and also had that training.

Didn't Adso also steal his wig? :bigsmile:
Quote

Joined: January 2nd, 2012, 10:44 pm

March 16th, 2012, 4:05 pm #8

Back when Claire graduated, surgeons were quite often referred to as "general surgeons" in that the weren't specialized in any particular field. A 'Jack of all trades, master of none', so to speak. General surgeons (although today they are a specialized surgeon in their own right) of her time could perform, for example, abdominal surgeries, plastic surgery (as in Tom's palmar fasciectomy), ENT surgery (tonsils, adnoids, etc.), thyroidectomies, breast surgery, orthopedics, neuro surgery, thoracic surgery, urology, emergency surgery (and all it encompasses), as well as regular lumps and bumps.
Claire still had to be a physician first before she could become a surgeon.
I hope this helps.
Quote

Joined: March 8th, 2012, 4:13 pm

March 19th, 2012, 12:14 pm #9

rosalie wrote:Back when Claire graduated, surgeons were quite often referred to as "general surgeons" in that the weren't specialized in any particular field. A 'Jack of all trades, master of none', so to speak. General surgeons (although today they are a specialized surgeon in their own right) of her time could perform, for example, abdominal surgeries, plastic surgery (as in Tom's palmar fasciectomy), ENT surgery (tonsils, adnoids, etc.), thyroidectomies, breast surgery, orthopedics, neuro surgery, thoracic surgery, urology, emergency surgery (and all it encompasses), as well as regular lumps and bumps.
Claire still had to be a physician first before she could become a surgeon.
I hope this helps.
:thumbsup: Yes, it helped, thanks! Now her procedures look more plausible to me. I really didn't know much about the surgeons in 60's...
Quote

Joined: April 5th, 2012, 2:16 am

April 16th, 2012, 9:19 pm #10

I'm re-reading now...
Ephraim Crombie, Hiram's "long lost ancestor" possibly being the ancestor of Miss Mousie - and the burial of Ephraim's skull... lol!

Drunk Germain and Jemmy... I know it's wrong to laugh, but I did. :P

And my favorite - Adso in Major MacDonald's bedroom - the Maj throwing his shoe at the door, the cat walking into J&C's room with his arrogant tail. Love that cat.
"'When God closes a door, he opens a window.' Yeah. The problem was that this particular window opened off the tenth story, and he wasn't so sure God supplied parachutes." ~DG, Echo in the Bone
Quote

Joined: December 13th, 2011, 12:17 am

April 22nd, 2012, 2:59 am #11

jus626 wrote:I'm re-reading now...
Ephraim Crombie, Hiram's "long lost ancestor" possibly being the ancestor of Miss Mousie - and the burial of Ephraim's skull... lol!

Drunk Germain and Jemmy... I know it's wrong to laugh, but I did. :P

And my favorite - Adso in Major MacDonald's bedroom - the Maj throwing his shoe at the door, the cat walking into J&C's room with his arrogant tail. Love that cat.
Not sure if it's because I'm a 'cat lady' but Adso rules my world. Both the modern and 'antique' versions--ok, especially, the 'antique' one. LOL :clap: I see a gray kitty and I can't help but think of him.
Quote

Joined: September 30th, 2016, 8:02 pm

January 11th, 2018, 7:37 pm #12

There's a scene in Chapter 111 ("January 21st"), where everyone has gone to the small cabin in order to avoid the big fire that was supposed to happen that night. The cabin's lean-to catches fire when Adso gets his paws on Major McDonald's wig, Brianna gets the hiccups, Roger tries to scare them out of her by yelling "BOO" in her face, Jemmy & Aiden are running around repeating Roger's attempts to scare her, leading to a snowball fight, and Major McDonald finally taking his leave with his wig in shreds. 
Quote

Joined: March 20th, 2018, 12:22 am

March 30th, 2018, 8:54 pm #13

I really liked the part when Roger was giving his first official sermon and a few of the boys brought a snake into the cabin. I loved how Jamie grabbed the snake and put it in his shirt and then the quiet argument he and Claire had about stepping out of the cabin, all while Roger watched and tried to stay focused on his sermon.
Quote

Joined: March 1st, 2018, 11:00 pm

April 22nd, 2018, 3:18 am #14

My favorite LOL moment was when J&C find out about the Lizzie and Jo/Kezzie love triangle- Jamie has them draw straws to see who marries her, and it's the guy with the SHORT straw that gets the 'honor' of marrying her. Oh Jamie... I thought that was hilarious.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Woman was made of Adam's rib; not made out of his head to rule over him, nor out of his feet to be trampled upon by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be beloved - Matthew Henry
Quote