ABOSAA: Bree's release

August 29th, 2018, 2:10 pm #1

Hi -  just finished this book and I was hoping to get some clarification from you guys.

I'm confused about the scene where Bree is escaping Emmanuel, Bonnet's slave and bodyguard.  I know she escapes the room to the roof of the house.  There, she and Emmanuel have a struggle where she wounds him?  I then get confused about how she manages to get off the roof, and escape Emmanuel's grasp.  The book describes his face being blurry, then he slumps to his knees and dies.  How? 

I'm new to this site so I'm still going through a lot of the posts.  If you don't mind I'd like to add something here about Diana.

I often struggle with Diana's style of prose.  She either writes in so much detail that I feel I'm in a Victorian novel or she skims other parts of her narrative where I feel like I'm in a Hemingway novel - little detail, lots of meaning.  Then, there are moments like Bree's escape scene.  Diana spends a lot of time on the build up to important scenes like this one.  Yet, when it comes to the actual moment we readers are looking the most forward to, Diana writes briefly and broadly.  It's like a Shakespearean play where there are 3 acts of build up only to have the last and most important scene finish with a convenient marriage. Anyway, I very much enjoy the Outlander story in print and media. 

Thanks for your ear and your help in understanding ABOSAA.

Best,
yseult8

September 2nd, 2018, 12:39 pm #2

That scene is a little disjointed, perhaps to represent Brianna’s terror. As I recall, she fell off the roof because she landed on her back, got the wind knocked out of her, and thought, “This can’t be good for the baby!” I thought that Emmanuel injured himself by tripping while chasing her and conveniently gave himself a fatal condition like a head injury. I haven’t read that chapter in a long time so that’s just from memory!
The minister's cat is a camstairy cat.

September 2nd, 2018, 2:19 pm #3

Or maybe he impaled himself on a branch or something when he fell. I seem to remember a scenario like that, but I’m too distracted to look it up!
The minister's cat is a camstairy cat.