Today is the day the wife and I start to de-construct the camper. It's going to be a major undertaking since we are going down to the frame.
I will list what we get accomplished each day. This is what we started with:
Demo Day 1 - June 24th 2015.
We got a good start on it by removing all drawers, inside doors, inside lights, table, table seat, fold out sofa/bed, mattress, mirrors, curtains, blinds, window frames, stove hood/vent, and finally the refrigerator. The utility trailer is loaded and will be dumped early in the morning. Not too bad for the first days work:
Demo Day 2 - June 25, 2015
Removed roof A/C, stove/oven, all electrical plugs & light switches, windows, outside door and all hatches.
Demo Day 3 - June 27, 2015
Removed the siding, insulation, and wiring on both sides and back.
Demo Day 4 - June 28, 2015
Made some real progress today. Cut all upright 2x2's and 2x4's - I pretty much took the skill saw and sawed all the way around the entire outside. Then cut around the bathroom, closet, and refrigerator box. At that point I pushed the entire top off with the Ramrod. Threw a chain over the top and looped around the right side cabinet, attached to the Ramrod and pulled top off from the left side so it flipped upside down in the grass.
Demo Day 5 June 29, 2015
Rolled out the burn barrel and started burning the wood. Started tearing apart the roof - got about 1/2 of it apart.
Demo Day 6 June 30, 2015
Finished tearing the cabinets off the roof section. As I pulled it apart the wood went straight into the burn barrel or aluminum pile. Making some progress - hope to finish the roof section tomorrow.
Demo Day 7 July 2, 2015
Feels like I am getting somewhere now. Got the roof torn apart and all pieces burned in the burn barrel. All that is left is the lower half of the camper body that is left on the trailer - See picture from Day 4.
Demo Day 8 July 4, 2015
The wife and I were only able to work a couple of hours today tearing stuff apart. Removed kitchen & bathroom counters, sinks, bottom cabinets, and remaining storage departments. If you look close you can see the front of the balcony floor propped up a couple inches and waiting to be removed. The humidity was a killer - then the sun popped out and T-storms were all over the place. Was unable to burn due to shifty breezes. Still made some good progress.
Demo Day 9 July 5, 2015
Moving along today. Cloudy but no rain yet. Burned all scrap wood from yesterday. Removed water pump, water lines, and toilet. Removed converter box and wires that were still attached. Removed fake wood floor. Cut & Pryed up odds & ends wood pieces all around the frame. Removed balcony and riser wall.
Demo Day 10 July 6, 2015
Removed 12v trailer to vehicle 7-way wire and plug along with the break-away system. Removed both sheet metal wheel well staples. Removed wood framing around frame border. No picture today.
Demo Day 11 July 7, 2015
Removed carpet & linoleum floor covering. Cut copper gas lines at floor level. Removed toilet floor flange. Started removing frame to wood floor bolts - after soaking with WD-40, some came off easily & some broke.
Demo Day 12 July 13, 2015
Took a few days off so I could work on a few other things and take a much needed break.
This morning started off at a nice 65* so it was back to the demolition project. Finished removing the floor 2x2 wood framing, plywood floor, floor insulation, wheel wells, and plastic vapor/moisture barrier that was sandwiched between the wood floor framing & metal frame. As I thought, about 65% of the flooring was rotted due to water damage over the years.
Demo Day 13 July 21, 2015
Removed U-bolts holding propane gas pipe to frame. Had to remove both left side tires to finish removing gas line while keeping it in one piece. Filled both holding tanks (gray & black) with water & bleach. Will let them disinfect and monitor for leaks. No leaks in either tank - will drain & removed for use later.
Phase 1 (demolition) of my RV camper build project is complete!!! I have the entire camper disassembled down to the metal frame. As expected, the frame is in very good condition. Now Phase 2 (frame rebuild) is ready to begin.
To continue to Phase 2 click here: Frame Build