Moderators: magister ludi, Alasdair, Reluctant Hero, azzuri

Serina Williams.

Shagpile
Time For Reincarnation
Shagpile
Time For Reincarnation

September 9th, 2018, 9:15 pm #1

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tenn ... SKCN1LP0R4

I agree with Serina, but do not wish to take anything away from Naomi Osaka.

I feel it was also sexist. Rules are rules too, I just can't remember them being employed against the characters in the male game which made these outbursts their trademark.

Sad that Naomi's win was marred by all this.
They stab it with their steely knives, but they just can't kill the beast..... The Eagles.

magister ludi
Ceud Mile Failte
magister ludi
Ceud Mile Failte

September 10th, 2018, 3:43 pm #2

Perhaps the umpires should tighten up on loutish behaviour from everyone, both men and women.
If the behaviour of some men in the game needs addressing then so be it.  I don't think it's at all helpful to give Serina license to conduct herself like the worst of them.

Shagpile
Time For Reincarnation
Shagpile
Time For Reincarnation

September 10th, 2018, 6:36 pm #3

magister ludi wrote: Perhaps the umpires should tighten up on loutish behaviour from everyone, both men and women.
If the behaviour of some men in the game needs addressing then so be it.  I don't think it's at all helpful to give Serina license to conduct herself like the worst of them.
I don't condone it ether ML. Just that I agree she is being singled out unfairly... I also agree with her that this is sexist. This umpire; apparently, has faced harsher outbursts from male players and taken no action. Those who criticise Ms Williams stating that rules are rules make a fair point, but miss the point entirely. I would have zero sympathy for her, if those male players were also penalised. Fact is, they were not. Poor "sportsmanship" is not really the issue in this case. 😉
They stab it with their steely knives, but they just can't kill the beast..... The Eagles.

magister ludi
Ceud Mile Failte
magister ludi
Ceud Mile Failte

September 10th, 2018, 11:57 pm #4

Shagpile wrote: This umpire; apparently, has faced harsher outbursts from male players and taken no action.
She called him a thief.  She called him a liar. She threatened to use her influence to have him banned from being an umpire on her court. HER court!
Her sense of entitlement and her power and influence within the game  can't be any sort of  justification her bullying and intimidation.   The irony of course is that she claimed to be doing it for women.

Shagpile
Time For Reincarnation
Shagpile
Time For Reincarnation

September 11th, 2018, 8:21 pm #5

magister ludi wrote:She called him a thief.  She called him a liar.
Yes she did mate, like I said, I do not condone that.

magister ludi wrote:She threatened to use her influence to have him banned from being an umpire on her court. HER court!
Never heard that bit, and I believe you when you say that. But it's laughable though. The discretion to appoint officials lie with the tournament organisers. Yet on a side-bar on that... do you believe that Lord Coe was ethical enough to serve on an Ethics Committee? Do you also believe the IOC follow all their constitutional rules? Or, like me believe that they decide which rules they choose to follow?

It could very well be that umpires were directed to enforce certain rules which have peen poorly followed in the past. Yet that does not appear to be the case in this instance, otherwise we would of heard of that by now.

"Her court". IMO, still part of an unacceptable outburst.

magister ludi wrote:Her sense of entitlement and her power and influence within the game  can't be any sort of  justification her bullying and intimidation.
Well her sense of entitlement, I've commented on above too. But "bullying and intimidation", again like I said above... laughable. I mean, is she going to scream until she's sick or what?

magister ludi wrote:The irony of course is that she claimed to be doing it for women.
I don't buy that either. It was not what she was thinking at the time of her outburst. 100% bandwagon crap that does nothing to further her claim... with which I still believe to be true... is that she was treated differently than her MALE colleagues, AND; which can be shown, apparently, to be TRUE of this umpire in particular. That's the smoking gun, and really on that she is not helping her claim that she was singled out... possibly BECAUSE of her gender, and to reiterate, I feel she was too, and BECAUSE she is a woman. 

Shagpile
Time For Reincarnation
Shagpile
Time For Reincarnation

September 11th, 2018, 8:31 pm #6

If there had been no outburst from Ms Williams. The fact would remain she has been treated differently. I believe it is unfair to focus on that unacceptable outburst. We ought to focus on the unacceptable treatment she received. That treatment ONLY BEING UNACCEPTABLE because male colleagues HAVE been treated differently. Had they been similarly treated in the past, this would not be an issue.

magister ludi
Ceud Mile Failte
magister ludi
Ceud Mile Failte

September 12th, 2018, 9:14 pm #7

It's not the umpires job to write the rules but to apply them.  In applying the rules he should do so fairly, and in doing so he needs to make sure first and foremost that he does so with regard to the players on court.  The actions and decisions of umpires in previous matches, in different circumstances and contexts are secondary.
Having said that, I think his decision to warn Ms Williams for receiving coaching was harsh, even though it was a warning to which no penalty was attached.

magister ludi
Ceud Mile Failte
magister ludi
Ceud Mile Failte

September 12th, 2018, 9:29 pm #8

I tend to pretty much agree with Ms Navratilova:
https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/tennis ... 5035g.html
You and I will probably just have to agree to disagree on this one